LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th May 2016, 08:08 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
That's more like it.
It's a lot of fun and Tim Curry is ridiculously watchable - although that goes for most of the cast.

I really didn't rate it much when I first saw it but it's definitely one that's grown on me over the years.

Looks like I may have missed an opportunity for a potential entry in the Top 10 Tuesday's Guilty Pleasure List though!
Old 16th May 2016, 08:22 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

72/100
Apparently...although this scene was rehearsed without incident, when it came to the actual filming, the naughty production staff changed the order of the taps that Frank was supposed to open, hence the confused look and acting from Tim Curry

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th May 2016, 09:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Runaway with Tom Selleck, Gene Simmons, bad 'spider' robots, heat-seeking bullets and carbon-dated 80's hair! What's not to like? Forgot what a great little film this was. Good stuff, even if the so-called high-tech robots all look like modified toasters and/or vacuum cleaners.

Golden Voyage of Sinbad. Second from the Harryhausen set i picked up last week. The stop-motion on the fight with 6-armed Kali is near faultless and puts some CGI to shame, it really does.
Old 17th May 2016, 06:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dolls (1987)

A disparate group of strangers hole up at an old mansion during a terrible storm and find the old couple who live there welcoming but hiding a macabre secret.

The credits Produced by Charles Band usually means the death knell from me but Dolls came as a refreshing change. This Yuzna co-produced, Italian set shocker from Stuart Gordon is actually rather good.

Whilst some of the acting left a lot to be desired, the two Cockney girls were cringe inducing for a start, the film's delicious Gothic atmosphere more than made up for the shortcomings. Playing more like an old dark house feature during the first half, Re-Animator director Stuart Gordon going a subtler route than his previous schlock-fests.

The dolls themselves are nifty creations. I won't say how they came about as this is a film best left unspoilered for the uninitiated, lets just say that they make cute but startlingly scary murderers.

As a first time viewing i was surprised how much i enjoyed Dolls.

Recommended.

Old 17th May 2016, 06:20 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The credits Produced by Charles Band usually means the death knell from me
Me too, but I really like Dolls.

Glad you enjoyed it, Dem.
Old 17th May 2016, 06:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

SCREAM...AND DIE!
After watching Jose Larraz's excellent SYMPTOMS, I thought I'd rewatch his 1973 horror effort again.
After breaking into a sinister looking cottage, a girl witnesses a gruesome murder and her boyfriend disappears. Returning home, she soon finds herself seemingly stalked by the killer. But who is it?
This slow moving thriller is a bit of a drag, to be honest. While SYMPTOMS' leisurely pace was perfect for a slow burning psychologicsl thriller, this one could have done with a quicker pace and reduction in running time, despite the increased sleaze factor.

PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES
While investigating an alien planet, a spaceship crew start behaving oddly and begin to have visions of the previously murdered crew rising from the dead to take over their bodies.
Pretty much a precurser to films such as ALIEN, it's a fairly routine but enjoyable story. However, the real star here is Bava's cinematography and set design, which, by the use of clever camera work and matte paintings, makes the alien planet look vast and impressive.
And there are some very creepy moments here, too.
Kino's blu ray looks excellent, but I think this is one for the Arrow treatment.
Old 17th May 2016, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sink the Bismarck (1960)

Classic war film done in a semi-documentary style which tells of the operation by the British Navy to destroy the Bismarck, Germany's biggest and most powerful war ship.

Spotted by recon planes off the coast of Denmark, British fleet commanders decide they must take the once in a blue moon opportunity to sink the German flagship.

Director Lewis Gilbert builds tension from the off even though much of the film is set in a London operations room headed by the ice cold Kenneth More. Segueing between the war room, the British fleet and the Bismarck's commanders works well and adds a lot of humanity to what could have been a blood and thunder war at sea movie. The film plays on the human element just as much as the well staged sea battles and it's testament to all involved that when the Bismarck is inevitably sunk at the finale, despite it destroying three British warships (Including the last battlecruiser built by the Royal Navy - HMS Hood) during the course of the film there's a genuine element of almost gut wrenching sadness as the mighty destroyer finally goes down in flames.

Recommended.

Old 17th May 2016, 10:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Me too, but I really like Dolls.

Glad you enjoyed it, Dem.
Me too, Dolls is a favourite.

Last edited by J Harker; 18th May 2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 18th May 2016, 12:21 PM
Cult Master

My mate watched a film last night with Oliver Reed where he plays a guy with a disfigured face he can't remember the name any ideas.
Old 18th May 2016, 12:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
My mate watched a film last night with Oliver Reed where he plays a guy with a disfigured face he can't remember the name any ideas.
Was it Spasms? Or Dr Heckyl and Mr Hype?
keirarts and Nordicdusk like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!