Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2018, 01:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A Mill Creek classic. I have it in a fifty movie Decrepit Pit of Nightmares box set.

A fave of monsieur Teardrop if i'm not mistaken.
It should be everyone's favourite.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 24th June 2018, 02:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watch Me When i Kill (1977).

Finally got around to watching this one after buying it several months ago.

A cabaret dancer becomes the target for a murderer after she unwittingly becomes the witness to the murder of a doctor at a pharmacy.
Several more murders occur, including a woman whose head is put in an oven.

The dancer's boyfriend later discovers that all the victims served on a jury together, and the man they convicted has escaped from jail. But is he the killer?

Directed by Antonio Bido, who made the enjoyable Bloodstained Shadow. This is a well made and suspenseful giallo. The only thing lacking is the sleaze factor. So don't expect any Edwige Fenech lookalikes undressing. 7/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 177803_front.jpg (98.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 24th June 2018, 02:46 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched the most recent additions to the 88 Asia Collection this week, along with commentaries, and they show the diversity of the Shaw Brothers' output.

Black Magic Part II is a completely barmy zombie (I use the word advisedly) film because it is similar to a film like White Zombie or Plague of the Zombies in that the antagonist is using black magic to create a brain-dead horde of follows, in this case an army. It's a film with so much innovative framing, great colours, and interesting sets that it's a visual treat. This doesn't detract from the very strange plot and the events which take place (not many films feature adult males being asked to eat eyeballs or drinking human breast milk from source!), but enhance the weirdness and make it a great deal of fun.

The Spiritual Boxer is like a precursor to the Jackie Chan martial arts comedies because it follows someone who has been trained in the five elements of martial arts and can use the various techniques (crane, tiger, snake, panther and dragon) of kung fu but chooses to use his skills for mischief rather than good. There are some good comedic sequences and a romantic subplot before you get to the showdown between the hero and the guys who were introduced at the outset demonstrating their kung fu prowess. This has a Karate Kid-like relationship between the master and apprentice, also like that seen between Wong Fei-hung and Beggar So in Drunken Master (only without any drunken boxing!) but probably isn't as well developed and meaningful. Even so, it's a lot of fun and one I recommend to all kung fu fans.

I watched both of these with the English track and then the commentaries, which are by different people and they are very well researched – it's a shame that The Spiritual Boxer one has a lot of background hiss, but otherwise is a great addition to the disc. I intend to watch both with the Chinese (presumably Mandarin) tracks in the next couple of days.
Old 24th June 2018, 03:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Diabolical (2015)

I won't go too much into the plot of this supernatural horror film other than saying it's about a mother and her two children who are so affected by ghostly activity they are unable to leave their home. Although there's a lot more to it than that.

I really enjoyed The Diabolical. It was certainly different from the usual paranormal type films. The ghostly spectres are quite horrific looking more akin to Hellraiser than anything, their appearances came across as quite frightening and rather gory. Ali Larter, who is no stranger to genre films, plays the mother and holds the film together well, the two child actors are also very good. Add this to a story which defies the usual genre conventions and i found myself watching a nicely refreshing and satisfying supernatural thriller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-diabolical-2015-featured.jpg (93.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 24th June 2018, 04:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Has anyone seen hereditary I fancy going cinema tonight but don't know what to watch.

Jurassic park and Hereditary are only two films at my cinema I fancy rest have no interest to me eg Book club, I feel pretty oceans 8 and a few others .
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th June 2018, 05:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Has anyone seen hereditary I fancy going cinema tonight but don't know what to watch.

Jurassic park and Hereditary are only two films at my cinema I fancy rest have no interest to me eg Book club, I feel pretty oceans 8 and a few others .
I enjoyed both Hereditary and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, but Hereditary is the better of the two films and the one I would watch again if given the choice between the two.
gag and keirarts like this.
Old 24th June 2018, 07:30 PM
Cultist

XTRO - I never got around to renting this out during the 80s despite picking up the box countless times, I missed out on a real gem, well better late then never. I’m not sure where to start, it’s probably one of the most bizarre films I’ve ever seen. Everything is thrown at the wall and it all sticks. Imagine if Alan Clarke took a shed load of acid and decided to make a schlocky horror film, you’d then be somewhere in the vicinity. I watched the entire thing with a look of joyous disbelief. Loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25th June 2018, 01:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The poseidon Adventure 1972

On route to Greece fron New York, a cruise liner S.S. Poseidon is hit by a tidal wave and is flipped over. A band of survivors group together in attempt to survive.

This is a classic 70s disaster that started off the disaster movie genre of the decade, with a good star cast. Gene Hackman plays plays the fanatical preachervwho he believes he is saving people. Ernist Borgnine plays a ex cop who clashes with the preacher numerous times. Jack Albertson and Shelley Winters play a married couple on their way to visit family. Roddy McDowell plays a ships hand and a small appearsnce by Leslie Nielsen as the captain.

Aside from the cast there is some good special effects and alot of tension that builds up with alot of claustrophic feeling with a bit of unintentional comedy humour, with plenty of twist and turns. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v1.jpg (31.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 25th June 2018, 08:17 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Suspiria. Susy bannyon arrives in freeburg in germany to attend the tan dance academy. when she gets there she sees a woman called Pat shouting at someone inside the school. then Pat runs away in the woods and when she gets home a madman kills her and hangs her, and her friend dies as well when the roof falls on her. after that susy finds out that the school is run by covens of witches who put spells on her. anyone who crosses the witches gets killed, like Daniel who is blind and gets eaten by his dog when the dog gets possessed. her best friend is then murdered to and gets trapped in room with barb wires after falling in it through a windw and trying to escape from a maniac with a razor. but as she is trapped in the wires the maniac cuts her throat and she dies as well. and for Susy her only ally now is Udo kieer who is a doctor.
this is very very good indeed 97.5 out of 100.
Old 25th June 2018, 08:23 AM
Cult Acolyte

Went to the cinema to see Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. I was somewhat underwhelmed by Jurassic World, and this latest in the franchise has come in for very harsh reviews, though I'm not entirely sure why. It's a big dumb fun popcorn movie that delivers what it says on the tin, and I think I preferred it to its predecessor to be honest; I enjoyed the switch in location in the second half, along with its corresponding claustrophobic horror movie feel. Overall nothing special but perfectly watchable and enjoyable.

Like this? Share it using the links below!