Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th June 2018, 08:21 PM
Cult Addict

Come and See
A young boy joins the partisans in Belarus to fight the invading nazis. He is left at camp and tries to make his way home, only to discover his mother and sisters have been butchered. He then tries to get food for the survivors with some others.
Probably one of the most harrowing war movies you can possibly watch and that's not just due to the fact that the boys hair changes colour and he looks old by the end, nor is it because they used live ammunition during the film. It is numbing throughout. There are some lighter moments but these are few and far between and the final act of this film is shocking.
I would be surprised if not many have seen this here, but if you haven't then I cannot recommend this enough.
Old 26th June 2018, 08:20 AM
Seasoned Cultist

City of the living dead. this is directed by Lucio fulci and is the first in the gates of hell trilody. it is about a priest father tomas in dunwich who hangs himself and opens the gates of hell. and during a seance in new york the main character Mary woodhouse played by Catriona mcoll sees it in a vision and collapses and dies afterwards.
then journalist Christopher george wants the story of marys death. he goes to the cemetery were mary has just been buried and hears screaming coming out of the ground wer e mary is. it turns out that mary isnt dead afterall but in some type of catalepic state. after digging her out using a pick axe, mary tells him that they have no time to loose as the gates of hell have to be closed before all saint day. so they set off to dunwich to find the priests body and destroy it to close the gates.

this one i like. and has great music and effects 96.2 out of 100.

Last edited by Paul Zombie; 26th June 2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 26th June 2018, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's ok with good acting and direction but it's hardly Oscar material 6/10
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 27th June 2018, 08:10 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

It's ok with good acting and direction but it's hardly Oscar material 6/10
Just looking at films which were eligible for this year's Oscars, I consider The Shape of Water to be probably the most finely crafted and engaging, and a beautifully evocative and moving fairytale. I'm pleased it won Best Picture because (although I haven't seen Call Me by Your Name yet) because I thought it was the best film which was nominated for that award.
Old 27th June 2018, 08:13 AM
Cult Acolyte

Earthquake. A devastating earthquake rips through California and levels LA in this late 70s disaster movie starring Chelton Heston and George Kennedy. Mildly amusing (if sometimes unintentionally) epic that takes some time to get going and has some not particularly interesting characters, but it does have some great effects and set-pieces.*
Old 27th June 2018, 09:08 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Contamination. film about a ship the carribbean lady that arrives and looks abandomned like in Zombie flesh eaters. but when the police investigate it they find the crew all blown up and dead as well. also there are boxes of coffee on board but there not boxes of coffee but boxes of green pulsating eggs from outer space.
then a female government agent contacts a man called Hubbard played by Ian mccullough who was an astronaut who went on a mission to mars with his friend Hamilton. when they came back from Mars Hubbard said there was alien eggs but no one believed him and say he was mad, and Hamilton lies about seeing the eggs because while on mars Hamilton got possessed by an alien cyclops and comes back to earth to do the cyclops bidding.

later on Hubbard and the female agent go to south america to find the source of the eggs

this i like very much as well, and i love the arrow bluray with superier picture quality 90.2 out of 100.
Old 27th June 2018, 11:35 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

1408 (2007)

An adaptation of a Stephen King short story which sees John Cusack play an author who goes round debunking myths about ghostly places. However he might just change his mind when he checks into room 1408 of New York's Dolphin hotel.

Following a promising start where we get to see Cusack settle down in the room as quietly mysterious things happen - chocolates appear on his pillow, a rise in temperature, the loo roll refolds itself - and the film sets itself up to be a lovely subtle and creepy affair, the script decides to throw absolutely everything at the viewer in random fashion. All scares and chills go out the window, along with previous occupants and even Cusack himself, as we go into Shining overdrive - freezing rooms and climbing through ventilation shafts to fake plot twists designed to bore me even more. It's as if the scriptwriter had just watched Carnival of Souls and thrown that films plot twist into the mix just for the hell of it.

It's descends into total bollocks if i'm honest. More is most definitely less and i became bored really quickly with the absurdity of it all. The films only plus point was an elongated cameo from Samuel L. Jackson, he had just the right combination of mystery and menace to leave you thinking about his role but in the end even this got lost in the histrionics of this ridiculous film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1200x630bb.jpg (65.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 27th June 2018, 12:11 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Apple (1980, Menahem Golam)

Pray to the idol of your choice before entering this orchard. Literally mindboggling. Beyond parody. The songs are all awful. Vaguely glam/disco vibe. Hysterical dialogue. Highly recommended

As you will see nowt like it this year. NOWT
I've fancied buying this since I saw that Canon documentary film where they quickly glossed over it
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th June 2018, 12:14 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Just looking at films which were eligible for this year's Oscars, I consider The Shape of Water to be probably the most finely crafted and engaging, and a beautifully evocative and moving fairytale. I'm pleased it won Best Picture because (although I haven't seen Call Me by Your Name yet) because I thought it was the best film which was nominated for that award.
I'm surprised that Treb didn't LOVE Shape.. as it's Del Toro at his peak and a worthy winner of the Oscar but I personally wanted Call Me By Your Name to win, that not to say it's the better film but it had more of an effect on me. I loved both of them though. Lady Bird also could have easily won.

Old 27th June 2018, 12:20 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
1408 (2007)

An adaptation of a Stephen King short story which sees John Cusack play an author who goes round debunking myths about ghostly places. However he might just change his mind when he checks into room 1408 of New York's Dolphin hotel.

Following a promising start where we get to see Cusack settle down in the room as quietly mysterious things happen - chocolates appear on his pillow, a rise in temperature, the loo roll refolds itself - and the film sets itself up to be a lovely subtle and creepy affair, the script decides to throw absolutely everything at the viewer in random fashion. All scares and chills go out the window, along with previous occupants and even Cusack himself, as we go into Shining overdrive - freezing rooms and climbing through ventilation shafts to fake plot twists designed to bore me even more. It's as if the scriptwriter had just watched Carnival of Souls and thrown that films plot twist into the mix just for the hell of it.

It's descends into total bollocks if i'm honest. More is most definitely less and i became bored really quickly with the absurdity of it all. The films only plus point was an elongated cameo from Samuel L. Jackson, he had just the right combination of mystery and menace to leave you thinking about his role but in the end even this got lost in the histrionics of this ridiculous film.
Your review matches my opinion of this film perfectly! I'm interested in reading the short story though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!