Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2018, 10:00 AM
Cult Addict

Blood on Melies moon

Director Luigi Cozzi gets wrapped up in a mystery that leads back to multiple realities, Lumière Brothers, Georges Méliès and the birth of cinema.
Its Cozzi's own cat in the brain where the director explores his own love of cinema and science fiction, incorporating material from his older films with a plot strung together on a shoe string budget. Its a very odd little picture. A two hour science fiction epic with the fate of the world at stake but with the production values of a shot on digital direct to DVD trash production. Its pretty much held together by Cozzi's love of the material, his crazed enthusiasm and a fair bit of glue. Its not for everyone and will probably test a lot of peoples patience but if you persevere its got enough to it to be worth seeing.
Old 1st April 2018, 10:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Ready player one.

If you can, see this theatrically.

The plot of Ready player one is thin, wafer thin. Like a mint. It has more holes in it than a tramps vest and characters who are so underwritten as to feel like video game avatars...

Ahem.

But its a damn pretty film. Visually stunning. It may even be another Avatar in that its a terrific audio-visual experience but once the initial experience has worn thin there's not a great deal underneath.

I enjoyed it however. It threw in enough nods to stuff I like to appeal to me including Gundam, mecha godzilla, chucky, king Kong, Krull.... well I'm not going to name them all. It also has a lengthy scene in the Overlook hotel. Yes. THAT Overlook hotel with the score from the original The Shining used to great effect. What really made it great was the family's in the audience where the kids hadn't seen the shining but the parents had. The reaction to it, including the creepy kids, room 237 and the flood of blood from the elevator.

Overall its a fun 2 hours. It feels shorter. Its got a feel to it like the classic eighties kids films like Goonies. back to the future and the last starfighter.

Not Amazing but worth seeing.
Off this afternoon too either see this or isle of dogs.
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 1st April 2018, 10:59 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Off this afternoon too either see this or isle of dogs.
I should be seeing isle of dogs this afternoon.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 1st April 2018, 11:41 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I should be seeing isle of dogs this afternoon.
I'm going to see it tomorrow, probably about 10 minutes after Pacific Rim: Uprising, watching two films in one visit and making the most of my Unlimited card.
Old 1st April 2018, 01:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Belated sequel to Ridley Scott's classic take on the Philip K Dick novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Let me say this now. I love Blade Runner, i didn't use to but i do now. I was really looking forward to this film so much so that i gave it Easter Saturday special occassion status, only to think it a crushing disappointment.

I didn't think this film added anything to the original, it doesn't bring anything new to the table, nor does it really explore any new avenues, in short it's unnecessary. Original star Harrison Ford might have thought so too as he doesn't make an appearance until past the 100 minute mark and sadly up to this point we have to suffer Ryan Gosling existing in his own personality free zone, in fact i'm still not sure who gives the better performance in the film - Gosling or the dead tree he frequently visits.

Where the original film excelled were it's memorable characters and fine performances from Ford's Deckard to Rutger Hauer's Roy Batty and Sean Young and Darly Hannah in between, Neither Gosling or Ford are particularly enthralling and the rest of the cast utterly forgettable. The script didn't really shine either, lacking the rich and oft quotable passages of dialogue the original possessed. Instead of poetry like Hauer's 'I've seen things you people wouldn't believe' speech we get Ford muttering 'Many is the night i dream of cheese'. It's all profound stuff.

Maybe Blade Runner 2049 will grow on me with future viewings as the first film did but i found this quite average.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71PhjEaTZ6L._SY550_.jpg (66.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 1st April 2018, 04:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Samurai Cop
The LA police department transfer a cop from San Diego to help deal with a Japanese gang dealing drugs. This cop not only has to deal with the katana gang, but also the chief of police and his libido.
This film is awesome for all the wrong reasons, from the awkwardly shot action scenes to the constant change with Matt Hannon's hair (half the film was natural the other half a wig) to the dialogue and acting at times: this is a guidebook as to how not to make a film. And despite all the issues that this film has, it is a great laugh to watch with friends and is genuinely fascinating.
10/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Showed my mum this her words - what a pile of incompetent shite......
A masterpiece in my view
Watching the Red Letter Media interview with Matt Hannon

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 1st April 2018, 06:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Showed my mum this her words - what a pile of incompetent shite......
A masterpiece in my view
Watching the Red Letter Media interview with Matt Hannon

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Some women don't understand a great movie, even my Mrs says I watch crap when it's clearly a great movie
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 1st April 2018, 06:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Prometheus 2012

Following clues to the dawn of mankind, a team on board the ship Prometheus follow the signal to a distant moon and discover they are not alone and a crew member with alternate plans.

Ridley Scott brings us his version to prequel of Alien and the species of mankind called Engineers, if anyone wants to see the Alien from the other movies they don't appear.

There is a similarly set up of a team searching /exploring some uncharted territory but this seems to be a longer setup with some suspense.

The ship may seem the same from Alien but it does have a different design and some more gadgets and newer technology that I don't think we have seen in other futuristic movies.

The acting is good everyone feeding off each other's fear even though it's like some were giving backing extras moments. Michael Fassbender's character as Android David, he portays that well as can you or can't you trust him.

There is scenes been added, deleted or extended and different openings were filmed, like this film its a slow burner but goes to a steady pace. 7 out of 10.

I watched Alien: Covenant last year, reviewed it and re watched it and my view on it hasn't changed all I can view on it again is either like or hate it.
Old 1st April 2018, 09:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Belated sequel to Ridley Scott's classic take on the Philip K Dick novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Let me say this now. I love Blade Runner, i didn't use to but i do now. I was really looking forward to this film so much so that i gave it Easter Saturday special occassion status, only to think it a crushing disappointment.

I didn't think this film added anything to the original, it doesn't bring anything new to the table, nor does it really explore any new avenues, in short it's unnecessary. Original star Harrison Ford might have thought so too as he doesn't make an appearance until past the 100 minute mark and sadly up to this point we have to suffer Ryan Gosling existing in his own personality free zone, in fact i'm still not sure who gives the better performance in the film - Gosling or the dead tree he frequently visits.

Where the original film excelled were it's memorable characters and fine performances from Ford's Deckard to Rutger Hauer's Roy Batty and Sean Young and Darly Hannah in between, Neither Gosling or Ford are particularly enthralling and the rest of the cast utterly forgettable. The script didn't really shine either, lacking the rich and oft quotable passages of dialogue the original possessed. Instead of poetry like Hauer's 'I've seen things you people wouldn't believe' speech we get Ford muttering 'Many is the night i dream of cheese'. It's all profound stuff.

Maybe Blade Runner 2049 will grow on me with future viewings as the first film did but i found this quite average.
I feel much the same as you with regard to the original Dem. It's a film that has taken numerous viewings over the past 25 years to really appreciate it for what it is. The belated sequel on the other hand I thoroughly enjoyed the other night. Which makes me wonder if repeat viewings will actually have the opposite effect to the original.
Old 1st April 2018, 09:36 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I feel much the same as you with regard to the original Dem. It's a film that has taken numerous viewings over the past 25 years to really appreciate it for what it is. The belated sequel on the other hand I thoroughly enjoyed the other night. Which makes me wonder if repeat viewings will actually have the opposite effect to the original.
I can't remember how I felt about Ridley Scott's Blade Runner when I first saw it, or even which version it was – it wasn't the Final Cut.

As for Blade Runner 2049, I was blown away when I saw it at the cinema, thinking it was one of the best films of the year and couldn't wait to watch it again. When I did just that (the 4K Ultra HD disc), it didn't disappoint and was as fascinating, immersive, and impressive as the first viewing.

I will watch it many more times in years to come, though finding the time will not be as easy because of the 163 minute running time – 46 minutes longer than the first film. This isn't a complaint that it is long, because there isn't anything I would like to remove and think it benefits from the extra character exploration, world building and deeper relationships.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!