Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2018, 04:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

But there a dark vein that runs through everything that Lowe is involved with I find. It's some film. Will look forward to that comm

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th April 2018, 04:20 PM
Cult Addict

ghost stories.

A professional sceptic is contacted by one of his peers long considered missing and given three paranormal cases that he claims defy description. The sceptic (played by Andy Nyman) begins investigating and discovers not everything is as it appears.
Rare to see a Brit horror in theatres these days. The last one I recall on general release was the ritual which I really liked. I enjoyed this one well enough as well. It's got a few jump scares to it and it's a bit thin in places but it's mostly entertaining. It's got a run down shabiness to it's locations that firmly sell the piece as a film with a real sense of its nationality. There's a twist to it about a third of the way through that will decide if your ultimately a fan of not but I liked it. It reminded me of films like vault of horror, asylum, tales from the crypt et al. Give it a go. Especially if you have an unlimited pass or live near a £4.99 vue.
Old 7th April 2018, 04:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
LEATHERFACE – Seemed to attract a lot of negativity from fans and critics. I really liked it though, what’s the problem? TCM, sacred cow, so what. On the other hand, the filmmakers have ‘disappointed’ everyone since ‘Inside’, which surely shouldn’t be taken as the yardstick to measure a filmography by. No, I liked it. It’s fast paced, trashy, violent – you don’t have to wait long before some bad taste moment or other flashes up onscreen, whether that be coyly rendered necrosex or free flowing gore. Does it succeed in getting to grips with the genesis of Leatherface? Well, we’re talking about a made-up entity who was never very well drawn in the first place so who knows, but dramatically, not really, but who cares? It’s just not that kid of film. It does get really disjointed in its latter half, but to me it seemed to be trying to capture something quite EC-comics like, which I appreciated. And it avoids falling into the same trap as the putrid ‘Halloween’ remake, which was so po-faced in its attempts to humanise. Go on, give it chance, it’s better than people say.
I HAVE to see this now. People get really defensive over franchises, but I'm willing to give anything a go.
Old 7th April 2018, 04:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I HAVE to see this now. People get really defensive over franchises, but I'm willing to give anything a go.
Separate it from anything relating to the original, and see it for what it is - an entertaining B-flick about a guy who ends up being a cannibalistic serial killer with a chainsaw. As a film in itself, it's no great shakes, but I found it enjoyable enough - and that's kind of all I ask for sometimes. It didn't deserve the opprobrium heaped on it by terminally disappointed 'fans'.
Old 7th April 2018, 09:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Scream 4. Ten years after Scream 3, Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell) is finally moving on, and achieving success as a self-help author off the back of her own traumas. But when the book promotional tour lands her back in her home town of Woodsboro, it doesn't take long for some psycho to get inspired to start it all over again... The 4th and, so far, final film in the iconic horror series is actually one of the best of the sequels in spite of seeming a tad belated, and good wholesome naughty family fun.
Old 8th April 2018, 12:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Barbarians (1987, Ruggero Deodato)

A Golan/Globus production. I'll let that sink in, will I?
Starring Richard Lynch, Eva La Rue, Michael Berryman ... and a pair of sibling sides of beefcake . Sword & Sorcery flick that is the epitome of Cannon, slightly too violent for the Willow audience, not violent enough for the Conan lot . Recommended nonetheless. Lynch's wig worth the price of admission alone ....

The Commuter (Jaume Colett-Serra)
Liam Neeson continues to work through his grief through extreme catharsis. More or less Non Stop on a train. Some mention of Hitchcock in the reviews intrigued me. Where it was I'm not sure ... what I am sure of is that it is very easy to rifle Google for references nowaways. Risible ending. Nice to see Wilson not chasing ghosts though

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th April 2018, 02:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

The Commuter (Jaume Colett-Serra)
Liam Neeson continues to work through his grief through extreme catharsis. More or less Non Stop on a train. Some mention of Hitchcock in the reviews intrigued me. Where it was I'm not sure ... what I am sure of is that it is very easy to rifle Google for references nowaways. Risible ending. Nice to see Wilson not chasing ghosts though
Well, it was set on a train and i presume not everyone knew each other.
Old 8th April 2018, 02:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Bounty Killer (2013)

A manic thrill ride about celebrity bounty hunters (Don't ask) out to kill the bankers and other high rollers who caused an apocalypse.

Post apocalyptic B-movie action fest with comically dark elements. Fast paced with great characters (Christian Pitrie's gorgeous Mary Deth is something else) and fun performances from the likes of Gary Busey, Kristanna Loken, Beverly D'Angelo and rapper Eve, this is more akin to the revamped Death Race series than Mad Max but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Fans of 80's and 90's exploitative tat like Battle Truck, Cherry 2000 and Nemesis should get some enjoyment out of this gory, bullet strewn, slaughterfest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large_rplzZTaCtjlID3KJW4mHfLqIYc5.jpg (40.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 8th April 2018, 03:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Downhill (2016)

Chilean horror film directed by Patricio Valladares, the fella behind both versions of brutality fest Hidden in the Woods.

Despite being terrifically filmed Downhill is one hell of a mess. Beginning as an off road cycling event the film tumbles head first into some sort of backwoods redneck romp with added virus like body horror traumas- think Cabin Fever gone Lovecraftian here - before finally ending up as some sort of goat ****ing satanic free for all.

Had it encapsulated just one of these horror motifs then it would have bordered on being something special but sadly Downhill not so much goes downhill fast but doesn't seem to know in exactly what direction it wants to take.

I really need to watch this 'Everything but the kitchen sink' horror again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Downhill Cover.jpeg (91.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 8th April 2018, 04:40 PM
Cult Master

funhouse_massacre_poster.jpg

Halloween night has come and tonight a new attraction opens in town a funhouse run by the actual killers that the funhouse is based on.

This is some of the usual run of the mill bullshit with a group of teens head to the funhouse consisting of two stoners a slut the jock the nice guy and the virgin with a crush on the nice guy and a token Mexican guy just to pad it out. The acting is terrible and the characters are annoying as hell. The sex scenes are completely pointless and seemed to be only there as comic relief lots of stupid shouting out stupid one liners. Something that drives me crazy with these films is constant talk about Twitter and trending instagram hashtags and vines not sure what the last one is but I'm pretty sure its another stupid social media thing but anyway this theme continues the whole way through while filming what's going on are taking pictures on their phones. I understand how big social media is but its so forced and felt like they were trying their best to fit in as many advertisements for these outlets as possible . The deputy sheriff is another character just put in for comic relief but along the lines of a Jack Whitehall stand up as in its not F***ING FUNNY just annoying and makes me want to go on a murderous rampage.

There is a plus side to this film the gore looks really good and is all practical but they still managed to mess that up a few times with cgi sky shots Why are there so many bad films based around funhouse and theme parks when its just a great theme and setup.

3/10 just for the gore.

Like this? Share it using the links below!