All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th December 2021, 10:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Twister (1996)

A classic nineties disaster movie which looked great on Blu-ray with a DTS surround mix that really places you in the eye of the storm.

The scene towards the end always brings a chuckle where Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton are driving alongside a huge twister and farm machinery hits the road all around them as Hunt cries into her radio "There's debris on the road".

Debris? It's a f*cking combine harvester just crash landed in front of you!
Old 5th December 2021, 11:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Twister (1996)

A classic nineties disaster movie which looked great on Blu-ray with a DTS surround mix that really places you in the eye of the storm.

The scene towards the end always brings a chuckle where Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton are driving alongside a huge twister and farm machinery hits the road all around them as Hunt cries into her radio "There's debris on the road".

Demoncrat likes this.
Old 6th December 2021, 04:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default December 5th

Sator (2019)

I've taken the story outline below from IMDB because i had no idea what was supposedly going on other than a guy who lives in the woods and listen to the ramblings of his grandmother.

Quote:
Adam lives a lonely existence in a cabin in a desolate forest, checking Deer Cam feeds on his computer and occasionally receiving visits from his brother Pete. Another family member looms large in his life: his grandmother "Nani", who has long been a receptor for a spirit she calls Sator.
Loved by critics apparently, i was bored out of my mind. There's slow burn horror which i often adore and then there's Sator. You'll have more fun watching paint dry.

I will go back to this next year some time because i actually turned it off with twenty minutes to go as i was so fed up. I never turn films off as a rule but it was a case of wasting valuable time when i could be watching something else..
Old 6th December 2021, 04:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

A timeless classic of independent cinema and a film i never tire of watching.

Quentin Tarantino's debut film is, for me, still his best with it's hard boiled nod to crime classics of yesteryear mixed in with pop culture references, a soundtrack which thirty years on remains wonderfully cool, sharp, gratuitous dialogue and violence which really isn't as strong as it was once thought and all told in a non linear fashion that makes it so brilliantly watchable.
Old 7th December 2021, 11:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Resort (2021, Taylor Chien)

Is this modern horror then? Badly written, poorly acted and the like?
2 couples (?) make a real effort with a friend's birthday surprise, but pay the ultimate cost .... a decent enough idea (if you've never seen any J Horror that is ) is wasted by the framing device and poor pacing.
Witless garbage.

Running Time (1997, Josh Becker)

The Bruce turns up in this indie caper. What's a man to do but steal from the prison he's just been released from???
Saddled with a bunch of misfits, the plan goes awry for all and sundry. Just as badly written as the film above, this had some charm, mainly due to Campbell's performance. A romantic subplot does muddy this lake somewhat. Felt like a first attempt alright. Passable. Short at least (69 min!)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th December 2021, 01:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Resort (2021, Taylor Chien)

Is this modern horror then? Badly written, poorly acted and the like?
2 couples (?) make a real effort with a friend's birthday surprise, but pay the ultimate cost .... a decent enough idea (if you've never seen any J Horror that is ) is wasted by the framing device and poor pacing.
Witless garbage.

Very disappointing film as the actual resort building used was quite an impressive setting i thought.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 7th December 2021, 04:58 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Twister (1996)

I watched Twister for the first this year and I really enjoyed it. It was a lot funnier than I was expecting too!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th December 2021, 08:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default December 6th

The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964)

The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb is the direct sequel to the classic 1959 film starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Leem and is inferior in every sense from the cast to the downright dull story where after the first fifteen minutes nothing happens of any note until the final twenty.

The film isn't a complete loss though as some of the performances are very good, as are the ever reliable Hammer set department and one or two imaginative set pieces will perk up even the most jaded of viewers. It should also be said that the Mummy itself is particularly good and the most impressive and menacing looking of all the Hammer ones and the scene where it carries Jeanne Roland through the sewers a stand out.

½ / 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curseofmummystomb.jpg (106.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 7th December 2021 at 09:42 PM.
Old 7th December 2021, 09:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted D!

Things Heard And Seen (Shar Springer Berman/ Robert Pulcini)

A nice "normal" film thought I. A family move to a new locale due to work. What welcomes them isn't welcome ...?
Or is it???
Based on a novel and it shows in places. A period piece (set in 1980 ) ahem, the trailer gave the impression of something more Wan and that's why I don't really watch trailers
An oddity as a whole. May have to rewatch due to ... something.
Hmmmm.
Back to the Filipino action flicks for meeeeeeeeeeee ......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th December 2021, 08:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default December 7th

The Wraith (1986)

A cracking combination of supernatural thriller and teen car race movie ala American Graffiti.

Starring a pre fame Charlie Sheen as a ghostly avenging angel in a souped up black Dodge Turbo Interceptor who battles a gang of scuzzy Californian car race fiends who are basically highwaymen who steal cars of people in 'fixed' road races, headed by nasty Nick Cassavetes.

This is well directed by Mike Marvin, with the road race sequences nicely staged. Sheen isn't in the film that much - he's mostly seen in a kind of alien motor racing gear with awesome helmet - but Cassavetes is suitably horrible. Meanwhile the rest of the cast is topped up by familiar names like Randy Quaid, Clint Howard and Sherilyn Fenn who in her red bikini is worth the price of the Blu-ray alone. Meanwhile the likes of Billy Idol, Motley Crue and Ozzy Osbourne populate the fantastic soundtrack.

Some may find this a bit cheesy but i absolutely loved it. It felt new and fresh as i hadn't seen it since the vhs rental days. Why do i get the feeling i've just seen the best film in my December horror marathon?

/ 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (64.9 KB, 7 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!