Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2021, 08:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Prince Of Darkness. 1987.

A group of physics students and their professor are choosen by a priest to investigate a abandoned church and in the basement a container filled with liquid.

John Carpenter had some good horror credits to his name in Halloween, The Fog, The Thing and Christine, so why didn't this take off, due to 20th Centuary Fox for messing up his previous film Big trouble In Little China, thanks to those idiots for not promoting the film well, some thought this would follow suit of being another mix of genre's together. So Mr Carpnter made another horror and this was brilliant yet never got the good right up, could that be because 10 years earlier Exorcist II came out and a lot of people liked that film yet hated this film??

What is there to hate about this film, it has suspense, terror, great make-up effects, a haunting background score, the late Donald Pleasance is in it and a assortment of other good actors and Alice Cooper of course. It's basically like a present day demonic possession film, Satan gathering new minions on Earth. So those who hate it can kiss me where my cheeks meet, thankfully this has the cult following it should have when it first came out.

Attachment 236204
Nobody liked Exorcist II at the time tbh
POD grew on me. Now I see something new every time. REWATCH.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th September 2021, 09:50 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Prince Of Darkness. 1987.

A group of physics students and their professor are choosen by a priest to investigate a abandoned church and in the basement a container filled with liquid.

John Carpenter had some good horror credits to his name in Halloween, The Fog, The Thing and Christine, so why didn't this take off, due to 20th Centuary Fox for messing up his previous film Big trouble In Little China, thanks to those idiots for not promoting the film well, some thought this would follow suit of being another mix of genre's together. So Mr Carpnter made another horror and this was brilliant yet never got the good right up, could that be because 10 years earlier Exorcist II came out and a lot of people liked that film yet hated this film??

What is there to hate about this film, it has suspense, terror, great make-up effects, a haunting background score, the late Donald Pleasance is in it and a assortment of other good actors and Alice Cooper of course. It's basically like a present day demonic possession film, Satan gathering new minions on Earth. So those who hate it can kiss me where my cheeks meet, thankfully this has the cult following it should have when it first came out.

Attachment 236204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I'm old enough to remember the original reviews

With the exception of 'Halloween', at the time of release, nobody liked *ANY* John Carpenter film!

'The Fog', 'Escape from New York', 'The Thing', 'Big Trouble in Little China', 'Prince of Darkness', 'They Live', 'Escape from L.A', 'Vampires', 'Ghosts of Mars'...they were all totally ignored or slated by the reviewers when they were first released!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 11th September 2021, 06:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

Possibly my favourite from the ten proper Star Trek movies, this is a pacy and fun fish out of water tale with a genuinely heart felt save the whales message as Kirk and his crew travel back in time to eighties San Francisco attempting to save the earth in the future as a powerful alien probe sends out signals in the 23rd century to the now extinct species of Humpback Whales.

The new Blu-ray taken from a 4K scan for the most part looks superb aside from the scenes inside the captured Klingon Bird of Prey which appear soft due to the smoky ambience of the crafts innards.

The 7:1 soundtrack is terrific. Loud when it needs to be but for the most part subtle and atmospheric as the San Francisco street scenes play out all around the viewer or the whales splash about in the surf.

The extras are plentiful and the Library Computer feature which you can watch throughout the movie looks awesome if you really want to dig deep into the Star Trek universe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Star_Trek_The_Voyage_Home_1000x1480_Thumbnail.jpg (89.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th September 2021, 06:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Does anyone like it now?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 11th September 2021, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Does anyone like it now?
Martin Scorsese and Quentin Taratino seem to like it
Old 11th September 2021, 08:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Does anyone like it now?

It's one of my favourite comedies certainly.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th September 2021, 08:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Brainscan. 1994.

A teenager receives a mystrious game, when he plays it he goes into a trance where people die. When he comes out of the trance he discovers the murders in the game have happened to people in his neighbourhood.

We got Edward Furlong fresh from T2, which the director didn't have a happy experience working with him, give a teen a starring role for his first movie and you may get a total diva and everything should be abut them. But anyway this was a good film, the trickster seems to be playing a psychological game, nice added touch and Frank Langella as the detective on the case investigating the murders. Something I may watch gain at some point.

61-PpkH75xL._SL1000_.jpg
Old 11th September 2021, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Martin Scorsese and Quentin Taratino seem to like it
Pfft What do they know?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 11th September 2021, 10:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Pfft What do they know?
exactly, who are they, I have never heard of them before
Old 11th September 2021, 11:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rabid Grannies. 1988.

Two sweet ladies for under a curse which transform them into bloodthirsty killers.

I remember being in Blackpool aged between 11-12 years old and just about every video shop had this film on their shelves and never saw much interest in this film until today and I should have seen this before now. Very low budget but does make up for it with the OTT gore and slapstick comedy horror. It doesn't hold back on the killings and really doesn't discrimnate on who to be killed. Not exactly a hoot but enjoyable.

911F72+RJmL._AC_SX342_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!