Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2016, 08:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

For some reason because im 48 i fancy watching a film from year i was born and watch 1 film from every year over next 48 days.

What 10 films should you think i should watch from

1968 to 1978.

Something good and different doesnt have to be a horror or a well known film. But not something obvious.

I'll leave it for a few for days then i see what people opinion are.
Old 10th September 2016, 08:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
For some reason because im 48 i fancy watching a film from year i was born and watch 1 film from every year over next 48 days.

1968 to 1978.

Something good and different doesnt have to be a horror or a well known film. But not something obvious.

Start a thread, gag. I'll happily throw in a few ideas for you.

If you review them it will be a worthwhile exercise.
Old 10th September 2016, 08:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post

1968 to 1978.

1968 – Rosemary's Baby
1969 – The Wild Bunch
1970 – Beneath The Planet of the Apes
1971 – The French Connection
1972 – The Godfather
1973 – The Exorcist
1974 – the Godfather: Part II
1975 – One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
1976 – Taxi Driver
1977 – Suspiria
1978 – Dawn of the Dead (I know you like Superman, but you've recently watched it)
gag, keirarts, trebor8273 and 2 others like this.
Old 10th September 2016, 08:24 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Start a thread, gag. I'll happily throw in a few ideas for you.

If you review them it will be a worthwhile exercise.
Great idea. You could call it 'gag's birthday films' or something like that.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th September 2016, 11:20 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Blue Crush 2 (2011)

Haunted by the memory of her deceased mother, Dana leaves Malibu behind and heads to South Africa to fulfill her mother's dream of surfing Jefferys Bay.

In name only sequel to the 2002 film, this South African set direct to dvd release was a bit of a delight.

Yes the plot is slight, cliche ridden and almost casually deals with many problems that still blight South Africa, such as integration of blacks onto white beaches and the ivory trade and makes them right in the world of Blue Crush 2 at least. But it's all done with such a verve, and rides along on sunny waves of joy that i didn't really care. English actress Sasha Jackson playing the lead role of Dana had such an infectious enthusiasm about her, as did most of the surfer/ beach types that she hung out with, making the film difficult not to like, especially with it's chilled out atmosphere. Even bad girl Tara, Sharni Vinson, came good in the end, however that wasn't difficult to predict.

In among the plot which really is more a young woman's coming of age story disguised as an odyssey, there's some breathtaking cinematography along the South African coast line and excitingly wild surfing sequences.

Blue Crush 2 is one of those feel good films that's actually hard not to enjoy* and i know it's one i'll return to in the future.

*Obviously B_E, Nos and gag, i'm not referring to you three here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue-crush-2-dvd-fr-2d.jpg (105.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 11th September 2016, 12:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Washing Machine (1993)

Three sisters report the body of a man, sliced up in their washing machine, however when the police arrive no body is to be found.

This Hungarian set giallo thriller from director Ruggero Deodato is a mixed bag. Intensely flawed yet all rather watchable thanks to a pervasive slutty air of sexuality.

The films main fault is in the script. At the centre of things is a detective's investigation into the possibility that a man, who appears to have vanished without a trace, was brutally murdered by one of the women. As he gets drawn deeper into a web of deceit he shags all three sisters, not exactly keeping it a secret either, as one escapade happens in a museum overlooking Budapest's Heroes Square during a trip with a blind school, it's actually a rather amusing sequence, truth be told. How this would stand in court should a conviction arise bemused me, but obviously Deodato thought it fine. He's probably duped the world into thinking it's a socio political commentary on 90's Budapest by now, genius that he is.

It might seem a minor issue that i've highlighted but, and it's a big but, not a lot other than sexy shenanigans actually happens during the bulk of the 86 minutes run time. The three sisters - Kashia Figura, Barbara Ricci and Ilaria Borrelli - do well in their seductive roles especially Figura who has a cheap whorish charm i find rather endearing and exciting. French actor Philippe Caroit, someone i confess to not knowing, holds it all together quite well.

As far as gialli goes The Washing Machine is nowhere near the top of the pile, in fact it's barely a giallo at all in the conventional sense, certainly as far as giallo motifs go. For this reason i regard the film as a curio rather than a must see film, however i rather enjoyed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg locandina9-e1432215558901.jpg (88.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 11th September 2016, 04:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Blue Crush 2 (2011)

Blue Crush 2 is one of those feel good films that's actually hard not to enjoy* and i know it's one i'll return to in the future.

I'll have you know that I enjoy lightweight, cliché ridden movies every now and again – I had a great time watching Sharknado 4 on Thursday night. I'm not sure whether I've seen the first Blue Crush but, as you said, it probably wouldn't affect my understanding your enjoyment of this (very) loose sequel.
Old 11th September 2016, 06:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The black death

A young monk is recruited by Sean Bean and is party of soldiers to investigate a remote village which is said to be free from the black death. Enjoyable and atmospheric with competent performances all round and Bean doing want he does best dying. 7.8/10

Mutant chronicles

Thosands of years in earths past a secret religious group shut down a ancient machine that creates horrific mutants with one goal to whipe out mankind.

Jump forward the future in which 4 mega corporations battle for control of the planet, two of these accidentally restart the machine and unleash the the mutant machine on the mankind once again, the corporation's decide to abandon earth and head out for mars and the moon leaving many millions behind. One of the corpartions is visited by the leader of the secret society ( Ron Pearlman) who has a plan to recruit a small band of warriors to find the machine and shut it down.

Enjoyable and gory hokum with steampunk the technology and a ww1 vibe d an though its set hundreds of years in the future. Most of the special effects etc are CGI and most of the time they work very well apart from the explosions and blood. 7.9/10

Now watching stigmata
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-The_Mutant_Chronicles.jpg (24.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Black_death_poster.jpg (32.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 11th September 2016, 08:15 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
"Feel Good"...??

Does not compute.
Old 12th September 2016, 08:26 AM
Cult Acolyte

Monty Python's Meaning of Life. The weakest of the three MP movies, given it's basically just an extended episode of the sketch show rather than an actual film/story, but amusing enough.

Like this? Share it using the links below!