All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th September 2016, 11:18 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Splatter University (1984)

A deranged mental patient escapes his hospital, leaving bodies in his wake he ends up at a college campus and the killings begin again.

This was one hell of an odd film. Taken on one level it's poorly made rubbish and i could easily have reviewed it as such, however something about doing that would have grated with me and niggled the rest of the day for me as there's something else about Splatter University i just can't put my finger on.

The performances especially by the faculty students are dreadful however the leading lady, Forbes Riley, is absolutely terrific, holding a basic script together and playing it straight whereas many are hamming it up for all their worth, spouting inane dialogue as if nothing had ever happened on campus.

Taken as a stalk and slash film, Splatter University also fails miserably. There are no terrifying set ups or suspense akin to what we see in Halloween (1978) or the Friday the 13th series. We never stalk the victims like the best slasher films do, no Splatter University kind of dispatches it's victims almost matter of factly even if the killings are very much on the gruesome side which helps flesh the film out somewhat and maintain interest.

And yet there's something about the film that grabbed me, possibly it was Riley's believable performance floating atop the swill of scum and deadwood washed up by the waves, i just don't know, it's all sort of wonky, maybe i need to watch it drunk, however Splatter University definitely warrants a second or possibly third viewing to find out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Splatter-University-poster.jpg (87.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 12th September 2016, 01:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Solid review there Dem!!

Ahem.
Excalibur (1981, John Boorman)
Even if she resembles Anita Dobson in that wig, Cherie Lunghi still gives me the horn. Whilst the sight of coconut shells would not have gone amiss here, tis still a rollicking "retelling" of the Arthurian legend. Not as full blooded as I remembered, but just as funny.

Monkey Shines (!988, George A Romero)
And to think I was put off watching Bruiser for years because of this.....
Not quite the ham fisted reimagining of Phenomena I had drunkenly written off, but still not the finest hour from the George. Sickly TVM sheen detracted also, and don't get me started on the Disneyesque ending. Though twas interesting to see that someone handicapped couldn't possibly lead a normal life back in the 80s.....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th September 2016, 01:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

What does everyone else think of Splatter University?

I'm intrigued.

Old 12th September 2016, 01:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What does everyone else think of Splatter University?

I'm intrigued.
Although it is disjointed, almost devoid of suspense, and obvious that some scenes were made as 'filler' to bulk up the running time, it's the film I enjoy more than I probably should. However, whether that is because of its shortcomings or despite them is something I will probably never know.
Old 12th September 2016, 01:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Although it is disjointed, almost devoid of suspense, and obvious that some scenes were made as 'filler' to bulk up the running time, it's the film I enjoy more than I probably should. However, whether that is because of its shortcomings or despite them is something I will probably never know.
The scene towards the end where the body is found by the teacher and students in the school locker is a hoot. Forbes Riley is great and delivers shock but the students don't do a thing. They don't stagger back in revolt, scream or anything they just stand there as if the locker is empty.

It really is rather odd.
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th September 2016, 02:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Monty Python's Meaning of Life. The weakest of the three MP movies, given it's basically just an extended episode of the sketch show rather than an actual film/story, but amusing enough.
Brian is my favourite,so many classic scenes and the added enjoyment of winding up devout christians.
Meaning of life comes next because its so off the wall, love the fishes and the surreal moments, also the grim reaper part is brilliant, the penis song, the liver/ universe song, wafer thin mint etc..., i love it more because it's subversive and more like a great episode of flying circus.
Holy grail has great scenes but it just doesn't do it for me, the ending doesn't help either, just seems they couldn't be arsed to finish it properly.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 12th September 2016, 02:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Solid review there Dem!!

Ahem.
Excalibur (1981, John Boorman)
Even if she resembles Anita Dobson in that wig, Cherie Lunghi still gives me the horn. Whilst the sight of coconut shells would not have gone amiss here, tis still a rollicking "retelling" of the Arthurian legend. Not as full blooded as I remembered, but just as funny.

Monkey Shines (!988, George A Romero)
And to think I was put off watching Bruiser for years because of this.....
Not quite the ham fisted reimagining of Phenomena I had drunkenly written off, but still not the finest hour from the George. Sickly TVM sheen detracted also, and don't get me started on the Disneyesque ending. Though twas interesting to see that someone handicapped couldn't possibly lead a normal life back in the 80s.....
I actually really like Monkey Shines, theres something about hemmed in tight, play style situations i dig. Basic structure and the main protagonist is just getting more freaked out and has to deal with it themselves.
Kind of like Wait until Dark. that kind of thing.

Also like Twilight zone episodes where a simple thing drives the story, like the gremlin on the wing story.

Watched Devil the other night with the people stuck in the elevator, likewise a simple story that was intriuging and interesting, although that was slightly spoiled by being a bit too convoluted and sincere.

Same with stuff like Targets, Taxi driver, Black swan,Repulsion, the Tenant, Rosemarys baby, Martin, Lets scare jessica to Death, The Shining, Cujo, Ms.45.
Films that have a small cast list,simple situations, but crank up the tension and pick situations apart psychologically.

Old 12th September 2016, 02:23 PM
Cult Addict

What do you think of Bruiser by the way D.C ?
keirarts likes this.

Old 12th September 2016, 04:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Monty Python's Meaning of Life. The weakest of the three MP movies, given it's basically just an extended episode of the sketch show rather than an actual film/story, but amusing enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Brian is my favourite,so many classic scenes and the added enjoyment of winding up devout christians.
Meaning of life comes next because its so off the wall, love the fishes and the surreal moments, also the grim reaper part is brilliant, the penis song, the liver/ universe song, wafer thin mint etc..., i love it more because it's subversive and more like a great episode of flying circus.
Holy grail has great scenes but it just doesn't do it for me, the ending doesn't help either, just seems they couldn't be arsed to finish it properly.
Monty Python and The Holy Grail is easily my favourite and, I think, the best of the Python's films. It has the tightest script, most issued direction, and probably best performances from the comedy ensemble, which is remarkable given how badly Graham Chapman was struggling with his alcohol addiction at the time. In terms of the ending and cutting between the adventures of King Arthur and his knights and the 'historian', it's probably the first 'film within a film', with the historical elements as fantasy – deliberately so – when contrasted with the present-day setting of the historian, his wife, and the police.

Monty Python's Life of Brian is the next best to do a brilliantly satirical take on petty party politics (the many references to anti-Roman factions) and surprisingly well judged commentary on the life of Jews and resistance movements opposed to the Roman Empire. It is clever enough to know that isn't sufficient for a film to have longevity, so both sides of the argument need to be told, hence why the 'what have the Romans ever done for us?' scene is so relevant when applied to more contemporary things, such as the European Convention on Human Rights.

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life is one of my favourite musicals, a smart and silly film which is at its best when songs by Eric idle are coupled with superbly directed song and dance routines, or pointing out the stupidity of war for blindly following religious dogma to the detriment of your family, or sending up British institutions like public school and the army.

And Now for Something Completely Different is an extension of the TV show, a greatest hits compilation extended to a feature length film, something always worth watching, but without the careful construction of the two films which followed, or enjoying the almost limitless creative freedom of their last film.
Old 12th September 2016, 05:36 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'll have you know that I enjoy lightweight, cliché ridden movies every now and again – I had a great time watching Sharknado 4 on Thursday night. I'm not sure whether I've seen the first Blue Crush but, as you said, it probably wouldn't affect my understanding your enjoyment of this (very) loose sequel.
Also, and I don't know if Blue Crush is as good, but I love Chalet Girl – Blue Crush sounds like a similar type of film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!