LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2016, 10:06 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Loads of it. From Mortdecai's dodgy facial thatch to the in joke about shooting Jock.

I can understand how people may not like it but it gets over 5 out of ten on IMDB so plenty of people did enjoy it too.
I found those bits cringeworthy and was embarrassed for Johnny Depp and Paul Bettany (Jock Strapp, really?).
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th August 2016, 10:21 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I found those bits cringeworthy and was embarrassed for Johnny Depp and Paul Bettany (Jock Strapp, really?).
I must admit i've never seen you as a fan of today's comedies, Nos. be it this kind or American Pie style humour.

That's not a slight on you, more an observation of your comments on here over the years.
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 29th August 2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 29th August 2016, 01:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Assassins then.
Moore just seems miscast. Whilst not as flat out terrible as I remembered.....it began to grate just the same.
Why I don't just watch Hard Boiled defeats me haha.....

Breaker! Breaker! (1977, Don Hutelle)
Really? Truck Norris loves his brother...but nae enough to tell him to avoid Texas City...an old movie set "granted a city charter" by unsuspecting bureacrats to moonshine cult....so mayhem ensues naturally. Bizarre film.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th August 2016, 01:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mark of the Witch (2014)

'"Your dirty, dark soul attempting to pull you back inside to devour you"

Mark of the Witch is a modern day take on witchcraft with giallo influences. If you strip everything away, the film is a simple coming of age tale about a young woman, Jordyn, who is the devil's daughter.

I don't think there's a single scene in this film that you could say was shot in a normal, conventional fashion. This is about as far from the Hollywood school of film making as you can probably get. Lavishly shot, it plays as though the fabric of reality is cracking and a hypnotic evil is seeping through involving both the film and our senses, firmly placing the viewer in Jordyn's hallucinatory existence. It practically feels impossible to review this in the normal sense due to it being an ethereal mind **** that stimulates and provokes the darkest reaches of our imagination, taking the viewer deeper into what feels like a waking nightmare and all this to a delightful classical score from the likes of Beethoven and Chopin.

Mark of the Witch clearly isn't a film for everyone. It's dark, demented, surreal and wildly ambitious, definitely a case of style over substance, almost to the point where it will put people off. However there's so much to take in it demands a second viewing. The thanks list at the end gives gratitude to both Jess Franco and Dario Argento and you can tell it's inspired by the lucid nightmares of these two classic exponents of horror. Argento's Suspiria and Inferno especially.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mark-of-the-witch.jpg (63.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 29th August 2016, 05:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I must admit i've never seen you as a fan of today's comedies, Nos. be it this kind or American Pie style humour.

That's not a slight on you, more an observation of your comments on here over the years.
Oddly, I like the first three American Pie films!
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th August 2016, 05:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Oddly, I like the first three American Pie films!
Got to admit cant think of any comedy of top of my head that ive even slightly remotely liked for absolutely years, but did enjoy first 3 American pie and the reunion, but rest nah didnt bother.
keirarts and iank like this.
Old 29th August 2016, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mist

After a storm a artist and his family make there way to the local supermarket, a strange mist soon rolls in and it's not long before we find that strange creatures are in the mist. The real horror from the film doesn't come from the creature's outside but from within the supermarket were the people slowly turn on each other with a great majority being lead by the typical King religions nut job. Don't expect a typical Hollywood ending. Also watch the black and white version which is more atmospheric than the colour veriosn . 9/10

Dylon Dog : dead of night

While not as good as cemetery man its a lot better than I was expecting. Roth was actually quite good and charismatic in the title role. Dylon has retired from being a mediator between the world of man and the supernatural world, and has become a private eye but is thrust back into his old life when he takes on the latest case involving the death of his clients father. Soon he trust back into the world of vampires,werewolf's and zombies while seeking an artifact that could summon a creature that could have dire consequences for the world. 7.5/10

Now watching Misery
Old 29th August 2016, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Misery

Novelist Paul Sheldon ( james cann)is on his way to his publisher with his latest novel when he has a car accident and is rescued by Anne Wilkie's ( Kathy bates)who as well as being his number one fan also appears to be not playing with a full deck, when Annie reads his new novel and find out her favorite character misery has been killed off, things take a dramatic turn for the worse, annie forces Paul to write another novel and as he writes she becomes more and more unstable and dangerous, its soon becomes a battle of wits between the desperate Paul and the insane Annie. The whole hobbling scene still makes me wince. Great performance s from both leads, but especially Bates who gives a fantastic performance as the unhinged Annie. 9.3/10

Now watching Gabriel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Miseryposter.jpg (19.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 220px-Gabrielposter.jpg (15.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 29th August 2016, 09:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Red Heat (1988)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 29th August 2016, 09:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Huh, just finished watching Thor: The Dark World on the beeb. It's a really good fantasy film, rather than a superhero flick IMO. In fact, i'll go further and say i can't remember enjoying a fantasy film as much as this one. Dunno whether it caught me in a particular mood or what but i really enjoyed it and its my new favourite Marvel movie.

Like this? Share it using the links below!