All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179686Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2016, 10:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Babadook (2014)

A psychologically disturbed child creates a psychologically disturbed mother and together with all their wailing create a psychologically damaged viewer.

The Babadook is a very well acted film. Both mother and son put so much into their roles that i was wishing them both ill long before they thought the same about each other. I couldn't stand either of them by the half way point and any feelings of sympathy towards the mother were long gone by this time and i just wanted the film to end. This is never a good sign i'm afraid.

The Babadook is something different and for that should be applauded. I just didn't like it though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babadook.jpg (75.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 15th November 2016, 08:29 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Oasis of Fear A.K.A. Dirty Pictures A.K.A. An Ideal Place to Kill (1971)

*** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 15th November 2016, 09:44 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sex and the City (2008)

Picking up four years after the tv series ended... you lot don't really need a plot synopsis as you already think this is crap without having seen it or the show.

Sex and the City was a superb series. Sharp, satirical and very risque with added fashion and shoes (The two boring parts) This first film started off quite shaky and i wondered why i was bothering watching it at all, however after about twenty minutes it all came back and the four girls all seemed like the characters i knew and loved. The film plays out like a slightly watered down version of the tv show with far less sex both on screen and discussion wise but on the whole it felt like an extended tv episode. Having said that it did feel about half an hour too long.

Should i be worried that i much preferred this to The Babadook?
Justin101, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 15th November 2016, 09:47 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Sex and the City (2008)

Picking up four years after the tv series ended... you lot don't really need a plot synopsis as you already think this is crap without having seen it or the show.

This first film started off quite shaky and i wondered why i was bothering watching it at all, however after about twenty minutes it all came back and the four girls all seemed like the characters i knew and loved. The film plays out like a slightly watered down version of the tv show with far less sex both on screen and discussion wise but on the whole it felt like an extended tv episode. Having said that it did feel about half an hour too long.

Should i be worried that i much preferred this to The Babadook?
I actually quite enjoyed this film, it's not as good as Season 6 of the show was, and it did seem a bit tame in comparison, which is odd because surely cinema is where you can be a bit more extroverted but I suppose HBO is like the bad boy of TV anyway.
However don't get me started on the absolute train wreck of the sequel...

I hear that there are talks for a third installment, let's just say my hopes aren't high.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th November 2016, 09:52 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I actually quite enjoyed this film, it's not as good as Season 6 of the show was, and it did seem a bit tame in comparison, which is odd because surely cinema is where you can be a bit more extroverted but I suppose HBO is like the bad boy of TV anyway.
However don't get me started on the absolute train wreck of the sequel...

I hear that there are talks for a third installment, let's just say my hopes aren't high.
Yes it was good, as i mentioned possibly a bit too long as it seemed to have plenty of places where it could have ended on a happy note long before it did.

When Big showed Carrie her newly built walk in wardrobe i kind of swooned as i pictured it full of dvd's and books.

I'm going to watch the second film this evening. I've had them knocking about for years without watching them. Anticipation levels are low i must admit, which means i might enjoy it that little bit more.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 15th November 2016, 02:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Yes it was good, as i mentioned possibly a bit too long as it seemed to have plenty of places where it could have ended on a happy note long before it did.

When Big showed Carrie her newly built walk in wardrobe i kind of swooned as i pictured it full of dvd's and books.

I'm going to watch the second film this evening. I've had them knocking about for years without watching them. Anticipation levels are low i must admit, which means i might enjoy it that little bit more.
You'd better not go telling me the second one is better than the Babadook!
Deadite likes this.
Old 15th November 2016, 02:49 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Sex and the City (2008)

Sex and the City was a superb series. Sharp, satirical and very risque with added fashion and shoes (The two boring parts) This first film started off quite shaky and i wondered why i was bothering watching it at all, however after about twenty minutes it all came back and the four girls all seemed like the characters i knew and loved. The film plays out like a slightly watered down version of the tv show with far less sex both on screen and discussion wise but on the whole it felt like an extended tv episode. Having said that it did feel about half an hour too long.
I can now guarantee that Mr. Dike has absolutely no female feelings or transgender urges!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 15th November 2016, 05:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I can now guarantee that Mr. Dike has absolutely no female feelings or transgender urges!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 15th November 2016, 07:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

V/H/S 2 (anthology sequel time)

Finally caught up with this last night, firstly it fixes the worst fault of the first (the never-ending second episode) as all episodes here seem to justify the run time, the first will still piss you off with it's 'eye-cam' shake-o-vision but at least it's creepy enough. The Go-Pro zombie pov episode was sweet as a nut and I thought it was outstanding fun and the easily the best of the franchise, and the Japan/Korean tribute is kinda disturbing more than scary but in a fun way, the only real fault is the wrap-around story which falls flat and that ending will again be of no surprise to horror veterans but I have to say really enjoyed this (it's definitely a late night watch tho) and as I thought the first was a 7 out of 10, I have to give the sequel a 8.5 out of 10

Even if you have disdain for the first, if this can be found in the Poundshop for £1 I'd say give it a go.
Old 15th November 2016, 10:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Someone at the Door (1936)

When two siblings, Sally and Ronnie, inherit an old house their friend concocts a plan involving the murder of the Sally to ensure they get the will proceeds as hard cash rather than the house itself. Sally hides away in a hidden cellar and the police are informed she's missing. However Sally discovers a cache of loot in the cellar and the crooks return intent on getting it back at any cost.

A rattling good comical old dark house yarn that was based on a stage play. Someone at the Door plays like an old farce where everyone is having a lark. John Itwin who plays Bill, the instigator of the nefarious plan, has a ball leading the police on and the comedy aspects are never too far away in the script. However the film also works as a creepy old house movie with dingy cellars, hidden rooms and things that go bump in the night. American actor Noah Beery playing on of the crooks adds malevolence to proceedings as the tone shifts in the final third with some rather sadistic (for it's time) torture involving cigarettes and eye balls.

I really enjoyed this film. It's something a bit different to the norm and well worth a purchase. I should add that for an unknown 1936 British film the restoration from Network is immaculate. (In fact it's so unknown i can't find a movie poster for it on Google to show below).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg someone.jpg (97.8 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!