All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2016, 11:56 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Sex and the City 2 (2010)

Whiny and self indulgent, not to mention a good forty minutes too long. Compared to everything that's gone before in the lives of these four women, and i include the first film as well, this was like a poorly written caricature where only bits of the film worked.

Probably more entertaining than The Babadook though.
Old 17th November 2016, 02:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Whiny and self indulgent, not to mention a good forty minutes too long. Compared to everything that's gone before in the lives of these four women, and i include the first film as well, this was like a poorly written caricature where only bits of the film worked.

I detested everything about the films from the dialogue to the characters but, as I have only seen one episode of the TV show, I was taking the movies on their own merits and not comparing them to what has gone before. I think everyone I have spoken to says the TV show is much better than either of the films.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 17th November 2016, 04:11 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Now you're just taking the piss Dem.
Demdike@Cult Labs and Deadite like this.
Old 17th November 2016, 08:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blade 8/10

keirarts likes this.
Old 17th November 2016, 08:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Live and Let Die. Investigating the deaths of three agents, James Bond uncovers an elaborate Caribbean/New York heroin smuggling operation hiding behind the superstitious veneer of a voodoo cult. Roger Moore is instantly fantastic and iconic in his debut as 007 in this early 70s Bond flick, and while this isn't my favourite of his - prefer Spy/Moonraker/FYEOand even AVTAK - it's still largely great fun entertainment, with plenty of action and wit. It's Uncle Rog smooching the ladies and kicking bad guy ass, what more do you want? It's certainly miles better than Octopussy (or Spectre, come to that!)
Old 17th November 2016, 08:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Live and Let Die. Investigating the deaths of three agents, James Bond uncovers an elaborate Caribbean/New York heroin smuggling operation hiding behind the superstitious veneer of a voodoo cult. Roger Moore is instantly fantastic and iconic in his debut as 007 in this early 70s Bond flick, and while this isn't my favourite of his - prefer Spy/Moonraker/FYEOand even AVTAK - it's still largely great fun entertainment, with plenty of action and wit. It's Uncle Rog smooching the ladies and kicking bad guy ass, what more do you want? It's certainly miles better than Octopussy (or Spectre, come to that!)
One of my faves actually. easily better than the ones you mentioned. In fact Octopussy is miles better than Spectre too.
Old 17th November 2016, 09:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Blues Brother's 10/10

keirarts, J Harker and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 17th November 2016, 10:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa. King of cringe, Alan Partridge a-ha! makes his big screen debut in this quintessentially British movie about fame, the media, and mid-morning matters on Norfolk radio. What's the worst of the mongers? Iron, Fish or War? Hmm, tough one Alan.

For his big-screen bow, Alan finds himself lurching from one disaster to another as he somehow manufactures a return to the limelight after stitching up his radio pal Colm Meaney - who gives a great performance as the fading disc-jockey having one of those 'Falling Down' days, resulting in an armed siege where Alan becomes the media darling. Of course, he plays it for all its worth and is generally revolting in his pleasant, homey, incompetent way. In the course of events, he loses his trousers, gains a lady friend, improvises a jingle with the drummer from Marillion, and has a bout or two of the nose whistles. Bonus points to Phil Cornwell for playing the annoying disc-jockey who won't shut up about his addict past.

Great stuff for fans of the partridge, it maintains the overall feel of the tv shows whilst upping the ante for the big screen - something a lot of shows that make the move to feature length fail to do.

Last edited by Deadite; 17th November 2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 17th November 2016, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Hellraiser: Deader (2005)

An undercover reporter (Kari Wuhrer) discovers an underground group led by Marc Warren who can bring back the dead. The reporter soon comes into contact with a strange puzzle box which brings more than the recently dead back.

I don't mind the Hellraiser films, all of them in fact, even the universally derided eighth entry Hellraiser: Hellworld. I like the fetishistic Cenobite creatures and the whole idea behind them. Deader in truth is a fairly formulaic entry in the series, one that was shot back to back with Hellworld even though the films aren't connected.

The idea of the 'Deaders' the group that can bring people back to life is an interesting one even if the idea of them being grungy street punks straight out of an Industrial Metal music video is a tad cliche. Wuhrer as the reporter and our eyes and ears into this shady nightmare scenario is merely okay, although she certainly convinces in a horrific bathroom sequence with a kitchen knife sticking out of her chest.

The reason any Hellraiser film is box office is due to the Cenobites and their leader Pinhead again brilliantly played by English actor Doug Bradley. Unfortunately neither Bradley or any other Cenobite has an awful lot of screen time possibly due to the productions low budget or maybe because this wasn't really a Hellraiser film to begin with, i really don't know. However when they get up to their skin flaying treats it's business as usual...at least as far as i'm concerned.

Cult film fans will spot Linda Marlowe (Harriet Zapper) back in genre movie making which is always cool.

Hellraiser: Deader... for those that can't get enough of our chain wielding movie maniacs... which should mean all of you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hellraiser Deader 2005 In Hindi.jpg (45.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 17th November 2016, 11:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
The Blues Brother's 10/10

What do you make to the sequel, Treb?

Like this? Share it using the links below!