Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2019, 10:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
@ MrBarlow.

I couldn't wait to get rid of my 88 Films Toxic Avenger box set. Awful films the lot of em'.
I had only seen the first. Toxic Avenger movie, Class of Nuke em high, Terror Firmer, after watching the rest of Toxie I'm gonna take a long break from Troma
Old 17th February 2019, 11:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I had only seen the first. Toxic Avenger movie, Class of Nuke em high, Terror Firmer, after watching the rest of Toxie I'm gonna take a long break from Troma
I've always preferred Full Moon, Fred Olen Ray and Jim Wynorski stuff to Troma.

I think the only Troma film i rate is Combat Shock.
Old 18th February 2019, 06:38 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I've seen a fair few Troma films and whilst they are certainly a mixed bag, there are a few gems to be found amongst all the crud.

The Children is a decent watch, and more recently There's Nothing Out There surprised me, which I reviewed a couple of pages back.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 18th February 2019, 08:59 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Silent Hill: Revelation (2012)

Even some fantastic, nightmarish, Barker-esq creatures and a couple of excellent set pieces - The blind nurses and Red Pyramid's asylum arms lopping off - couldn't turn this confused film with a complete lack of scares into anything special.

Even a good cast - Sean Bean, Carrie-Ann Moss, Malcolm McDowell, Radha Mitchell and Deborah Kara Unger - were wasted with what seemed no more than cameo appearances.

Having said that i didn't find this film as infuriating as the first one which was a very good and beautifully atmospheric film which got worse as it went on, as this film wasn't much good to begin with but improved ever so slightly the longer it ran.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silent-hill-revelation-3d-movie-poster.jpg (97.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 18th February 2019, 09:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
@ MrBarlow.

I couldn't wait to get rid of my 88 Films Toxic Avenger box set. Awful films the lot of em'.

I had the first one from 88 Films (steelbook) but after watching it once and thinking it was nothing special, I sold it and haven’t bothered with any of the others, guess they’re an acquired taste
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th February 2019, 08:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Always wanted to see this when I was a kid after seeing the vhs cover, the 12 year old me might of enjoyed it, but the older and not much wiser found a rather dull film with one or two good deaths. 5/10

Now that's was more like it, a bank robber worms his way into a mans home (David Hyde Pierce) saying his a friend of a friend , the robber soon games him prisoner but the tables are quickly turned when the owner of the house is also not what he appears and is a few sandwiches short of picnic. A very fun black comedy with an fantastic performance from Pierce who's also quite the mover. It kind of what would happen if Niles snapped. 9/10

Now watching Black Sunday

Last edited by trebor8273; 18th February 2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 19th February 2019, 02:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Death Smiles on A Murderer.

A sexy young woman called Greta(Eva Aulin) is taken in by a couple at a posh villa after having a accident and devoloping amnesia.

An unusual and pretty stylish effort from the great Joe damato who did the legendary Anthropophagous.
although to be honest though it is rather confusing, with supernatural elements involving bringing the dead back to life and a small role with klaus Kinski as a mad doctor.

overall though, i rather liked it. and is well shot and has a nice soundtrack too. some parts reminded me as well of lucio Fulci's The Psychic with a interesting walling up in the cellar.
And will give mr Damato's gothic giallo effort a respectable 71 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1. Ewa Aulin.jpg (96.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 19th February 2019, 05:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Scotland Yard Mystery (1934)

Lovely Gothic proto Noir about a mad doctor (are there any other kind?) who operates insurance scams by giving his victims a drug which suspends life by putting the recipient into a state of catalepsy, turning them into the living dead.

The Scotland Yard Mystery isn't really a mystery as we know who the villain is in the first act, what it is though is a superior and beautifully macabre thriller with strong Poe influences.

All that lets it down are one or two performances, mainly women, who are too stagy especially in their clipped delivery of dialogue, although i soon got used to it and it didn't really prove too distracting.

Considering it's era and it being British, this is a match for Hollywood of the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81bJ+rzFKEL._SY445_.jpg (43.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 19th February 2019, 08:53 PM
Cult Addict

A Chump in Oxford
Laurel and Hardy are down on their luck and just by prevent a robbery at a bank, as a reward they are sent to Oxford to get educated where they are pranked. It also turns out Laurel is a lord.
Another classic from the duo. Some great little moments, just a shame the dvd I have doesn't give you the option between the US and the European versions of the movie.
The only reason I mention this is that the extra 20 minutes is based on a silent short film they did titled From Soup to Nuts which is a little annoying once you realise this.

Last edited by bleakshaun; 19th February 2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 20th February 2019, 10:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Cut Throats (1969)

A WWII softcore film. Neither as grim or funny as you might imagine.

Piercing (2018)

Hmmm. There's a lot to like here, even if it doesn't add up to much after the fact. Recommended??

Fair Game (1986)

Grittyish thriller as 3 pricks terrorise a lone woman. Not quite as mad as that Naked Vengeance ... it still did the job. Middling nonetheless ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!