Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Dr Terrors House of Horrors.

Five chaps get on a train and share their compartment with Dr schreck(Peter Cushing), who does a tarot card reading for each of them to predict their future.

This is one of the first anthology films from Amicus and probably their weakest if i'm being honest. but that's not to say it isn't enjoyable, far from it. The cast is great including Christopher Lee and Donald Sutherland.

The first story about an architect chap going to a remote island and finding a werewolf is quite entertaining. but the second one about a killer plant on the rampage is very silly indeed even if it was good for a laugh. the third one is pretty weak too about a trumpet player(roy castle) who steals a voodoo tune and lives to regret it. Things pick up with a well acted role from Chris Lee as a pompous art critic who gets terrorised by a psychotic hand, even if you can tell its made of rubber. the last tale isn't bad either with Donald sutherland discovering that his wife is a vampire and has a good twist in the tale.

overall, these are an okay watch from director Freddie francis, even if Amicus went on to perfect the series with the supperior tales From the Crypt and from Beyond the grave afterwards.
68 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Terror-8-615x258.jpg (16.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

The_mad_magician.jpg
THE MAD MAGICIAN 3D (1954)

Vincent Price takes revenge and uses his stage talents on those who try to steal his illusions.
Some great 3D here. More multiple depth of field scenes rather than out of the screen 3D. The depth of field really does go out in to the distance and the out of screen effects involve water sprayed out and wood cuttings from the buzz-saw. Great.

Stooge_spooks53.jpg
SPOOKS 3D (1953)

The Stooges run a detective agency and trace a missing girl to the house of Dr. Jeykll.
Really in your face 3D with everything thrown and pointed at the screen including knives and cleavers.

Stooges_pardon_my_backfire.jpg
PARDON MY BACKFIRE 3D (1953)

The Stooges run a garage when a damaged car with convicts turn up.
Another in your face 3D with everything pointed and thrown at the screen including oil and blowtorch.
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:23 PM
Cult Addict

Angel Heart
A private detective is payed to find out if a crooner from before the war is alive or dead and ends up in a world of murder and satanism.
Based on the novel "Falling Angel", its a relatively faithful adaptation, however only part of the movie is set in New York and the rest in Louisiana and there ain't no satanic orgies which is a shame. Still strong performance by Mickey Rooney.
I'll be surprised if no one has seen it, but if you haven't then change that immediately.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:08 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Love Redneck.

Over The Top (1987)

And people say that Lynch's films are weird. A Cannon custody battler. Yeah, not a genre I'm over familiar with tbh . I remember Bazza Norman sneering quite a bit at the time. I'm just stumped. Legally the scenario is a minefield . And the bairn. Sheesh. I'll hear nae more about Giovanni Frezza thenk you very much . Loggia cries at the end. I nearly did too (relief).
Hey of it ain't got Bronson or Norris shooting someone then it ain't interesting. It would peak my interest if you said Dolph Lungdren on tiny black pants

Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Horizons West (1952)

Superior western directed by Budd Boetticher. Starring Robert Ryan and Rock Hudson as two brothers back home in Texas after the civil war where they take two very different paths.

Horizons West is excellent, it's one of those westerns where you can't predict the plot during the first five minutes and all the better for it. The script twists and turns and unexpected event follows unexpected event.

Just to ad to this films's sheer greatness is a top quality support cast including Creature from the Black Lagoon's Julie Adams, John McIntire, Dennis Weaver, James Arness and Perry Mason himself - Raymond Burr.

The films only flaw is that at a mere 80 minutes it's too short.

No spoilers or story give aways, lets just say if you like westerns then watch this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Horizons_West_-_Theatrical_Poster.jpg (32.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Satan's Slave (1976)

Poor Candace Glendenning. If she's not being pursued by a murderous mutant round a foggy lighthouse she's being groomed for a devil cult by Martin Potter and Michael Gough.

Directed by the legendary Norman J Warren, Satan's Slave is a sordid exploitation epic chock full of nudity, graphic gore and salacious Occult sacrificial ceremonies.

Satan's Slave is one of those rare examples of a film that actually delivers the goods promised by it's sleazy poster.

Highly recommended for any lover of British sadism.

I really need to compose a proper review of this for the Gothic Thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_pd2b46u6VU1sxnnxgo1_400.jpg (52.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hey D 80 minutes can still draaaaag .... gather round

Slasher Party

AVOID this witless witless movie. A group of millenial twaaats are invited to a soiree. Someone starts killing them. Mostly just offscreen and all. A.v.o.i.d.

Galaxy Lords (2018, Von Blinka)

Sillyness as two friends maka da scifi epic wid da friends and family. Some nice looking establishing shots are severely undermined by the Boosh like appearance of the cast. Maybe intenional? Bog standard space opera otherwise. Mate came round with both (possibly as revenge for OTT )

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd February 2019, 01:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The House with 100 Eyes (2012)

A found footage film about a couple of screw balls making a snuff film with three victims could have been good, sadly The House with 100 Eyes failed to live up to it's promise despite a couple of grizzly gore scenes that made me hope for more.

As well as being ultra low budget, although this wasn't really a hindrance, the film suffers from basically, oddities. When making a snuff film would you really blur out any nudity as this film does? It's fine slicing a girls stomach open, but you can't show a guys arse?

The film had a bit of realism in the two protagonists weren't super human, hammer blows hurt them as easily as their victims, but when alls said and done The House with 100 Eyes just isn't very good.
Old 23rd February 2019, 05:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Dawn of The Dead.

Stephen, Francine, and two SWAT chaps Roger and Peter steal a helecopter and bugger off and take refuge in a shopping mall to escape the army of zombies that are taking over the world and eating everybody.

I have to say that this is still a fun watch and very entertaining zombie film. and despite the OTT biker gang and comedy moments, has great characters that you care about.

i will admit that the special effects don't hold up that well anymore and the zombies in particular are quite poor when you compare them to Lucio Fulci's creepy specimims dripping in worms.
most of the ones in Dawn just seem to have been given a quick green spraypaint in a similar style to Jean Rollins Nazi chaps in his classic Zombies Lake.

However it's still far more entertaining than most of the so called horror nowadays, and has a fabulous Goblin score as well. And will award this Romero classic a solid 77 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daww_600.jpg (34.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:12 PM
Cult Addict

Prince of Darkness
A group of scientists are asked to investigate a mysterious jar of green liquid, to discover if it is Satan, only to be plagued by nightmarish visions and crazy homeless people.
John Carpenter proves himself again as a great director with this film, tense and terrifying throughout with a nice slow burn pace which works strongly combine that with Carpenters score (which bares some similarities to Big Trouble in Little China) and what you get is a great horror movie.

Like this? Share it using the links below!