Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st October 2012 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scream 4 (2011)

Yawn, welcome to the party finally, better late than never i sense you all thinking, which actually could also be applied to this Wes Craven movie.

Whilst always entertaining the films formula seemed very dated. Perhaps it was meant to be that way though, was this the intention of Craven and scriptwriter Kevin Williamson, to repeat the formula of the first film over and over again.? The ironies and references to classic films are now wearing very thin and became almost embarrassing at times. Of course as with the rules of film series, they all have diminishing returns and tired references to earlier sequels so perhaps this was the point.

Hopefully if there is to be another film in the series a total reboot would be nice, ignoring the ironic horror movie rules and just have someone wearing the Ghostface outfit slaughtering an entirely different cast.

Getting past these points though, the film is quite good, the gore quotient has been upped from the previous entries even though it receives a 15 certificate. I never guessed who the killer would be, in fact i think i suspected everyone else apart from this person at one time or another. All the performances were decently played.

To finish this was better than parts 2 and 3, but nowhere near as good as the first film.

Demoncrat 1st October 2012 03:13 PM

Dredd Ahem, The Raid sadly makes this look sluggish, but it's DREDD and not that emo whoopsie that Stallone played imo. Solid first hour, then hmmmmmmm. Death better be in the sequel hahahahaha.

bdc 1st October 2012 03:29 PM

Watched this late last night...another fun Shaw wuxia fantasy.

Shaw Brothers Holy Flame Of Martial World Trailer - YouTube

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st October 2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 277718)
Dredd Ahem, The Raid sadly makes this look sluggish, but it's DREDD and not that emo whoopsie that Stallone played imo. Solid first hour, then hmmmmmmm. Death better be in the sequel hahahahaha.

I doubt there will be a sequel.

Despite positive reviews it has only just crept over the $20m worldwide, and dropped out of the US top ten on its second week.

Although the US box office is very poor, the rest of the world has seemingly ignored it as well.

The current state of Dredd | Den of Geek

Hawkmonger 1st October 2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 277753)

Despite positive reviews it has only just crept over the $20m worldwide, and dropped out of the US top ten on its second week.

Although the US box office is very poor, the rest of the world has seemingly ignored it as well.

I'm nearly heart broken over this. All my reviewing freind's at TGWTG have loved it (Joe Vegas, Brad Jones, Doug Walker) and there influence's far out way's the influence of the mainstream reviewers who panned it (**** you Roger Moore!). Off this word of mouth I had hopped it would at least make $50m worldwide. Sad time's, so so sad.:(

Wes 1st October 2012 06:55 PM

I was hoping the money men might have bankrolled a film of Sláine, (done in the style of Valhalla Rising)...

http://beyondthebunker.files.wordpre...18bf1b7c_z.jpg

keirarts 1st October 2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 277753)

Worst thing is, forget ever seeing any more hard 18 cert action films at the cinema. The general consensus will be the violence hampered it, so expect more toned down product from hollywood aiming for that golden pg-13 certificate.

VicDakin 1st October 2012 07:43 PM

What films have you seen recently?

4 Attachment(s)
What films have you seen recently?

Attachment 83128Attachment 83129Attachment 83130Attachment 83131

Wes 1st October 2012 07:46 PM

Vic what was The American like - heard good things about this, but never tracked it down... I like Clooney, I thought Ides of March was one of the better films of that year...

VicDakin 1st October 2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 277839)
Vic what was The American like - heard good things about this, but never tracked it down... I like Clooney, I thought Ides of March was one of the better films of that year...

I thought it was very good,had a more serious tone than I expected,did not know much about it,thought it was gonna be a Bourne knock off but much more intelligent film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st October 2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 277842)
I thought it was very good,had a more serious tone than I expected,did not know much about it,thought it was gonna be a Bourne knock off but much more intelligent film.

What was the Mel Gibson one like Vic?

I want to see that.

VicDakin 1st October 2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 277846)
What was the Mel Gibson one like Vic?

I want to see that.

again was'nt expecting much but was surprised,Mel seems to be back on form,certainly better than I had hoped.

Wes 1st October 2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 277849)
again was'nt expecting much but was surprised,Mel seems to be back on form,certainly better than I had hoped.

It's a shame he's such a whackjob these days - I'd love to see him pick up a camera again - I though Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto were interesting films, not perfect but we need more eccentric films like this coming out of Hollywood...

SharonLynette 1st October 2012 08:16 PM

Let me see if I can remember everything I've watched in the last couple of days;

Rubber (2010)
The Ghost Train (1941)
Wisconsin Death Trip (1999)
The Black Torment (1964)
Hairspray (1988) - for the 100th time
The Spiral Staircase (1945)
Dementia (1955)
Secrets of Sex (1970)

and all very enjoyable!

VicDakin 1st October 2012 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 277866)
Let me see if I can remember everything I've watched in the last couple of days;

Rubber (2010)
The Ghost Train (1941)
Wisconsin Death Trip (1999)
The Black Torment (1964)
The Spiral Staircase (1945)
Dementia (1955)
Secrets of Sex (1970)

and all very enjoyable!

was that the Arthur ASkey film The Ghost Train ?
Attachment 83137

SharonLynette 1st October 2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 277871)
Attachment 83137

Yup, that's the one!

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st October 2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 277849)

Get The Gringo (How I Spent My Summer Vacation) is a really good film. Gibson is getting too much hate imo. Yes, what he said was wrong, but Hollywood will forgive anyone as long as they bring in the money. Victor Salva, Roman Polanski, to name a couple Mark my words, the second Gibson makes a film that brings ij the money, they'll forget everything.

bdc 1st October 2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 277866)

Love the original Hairspray as well,I hated Hairspray (2007) though... ;)

Hawkmonger 1st October 2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 277813)
I was hoping the money men might have bankrolled a film of Sláine, (done in the style of Valhalla Rising)...

http://beyondthebunker.files.wordpre...18bf1b7c_z.jpg

I'd give my left testical for that!:rockon:

Rik 1st October 2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 277883)
I'd give my left testical for that!:rockon:

Can I have it, lost mine to cancer 7 years ago ha ha :lol:

SharonLynette 1st October 2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 277881)

I can't bring myself to even watch the one based on the musical. I think it would destroy me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st October 2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 277871)
Attachment 83137

Is it any good?

Seen it around a bit, is it a comedy, with Askey i would guess so but i'm not sure?

Susan Foreman 1st October 2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 277881)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 277901)
I can't bring myself to even watch the one based on the musical. I think it would destroy me.

The original is unwatchable. John Waters with a PG rating?

Purleez - give me a break!

At least the remake holds no pretenses, and didn't sell out!

*Note - I am a fan of the early 'bad-taste' Waters films, but the original version of 'Hairspray' left me cold

Rik 1st October 2012 09:46 PM

Just finished watching Hot Tub Time Machine, can't believe I've never seen this before, piss funny

SharonLynette 1st October 2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 277903)
Is it any good?

Seen it around a bit, is it a comedy, with Askey i would guess so but i'm not sure?

I liked it, it's certainly worth a watch on a wet afternoon. It is a comedy with a bit of suspense, just a bit.

SharonLynette 1st October 2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 277911)
The original is unwatchable. John Waters with a PG rating?

Purleez - give me a break!

At least the remake holds no pretenses, and didn't sell out!

*Note - I am a fan of the early 'bad-taste' Waters films, but the original version of 'Hairspray' left me cold

Different strokes. I still think the '88 version is fantastic as much as I love his early work for me there is nothing wrong with a bit of PG John Waters, it certainly beats some of the stuff churned out these days.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st October 2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 277923)
I liked it, it's certainly worth a watch on a wet afternoon. It is a comedy with a bit of suspense, just a bit.

Thanks Sharon. :)

Make Them Die Slowly 1st October 2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 277860)
It's a shame he's such a whackjob these days - I'd love to see him pick up a camera again - I though Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto were interesting films, not perfect but we need more eccentric films like this coming out of Hollywood...

Wasn't Gibson lined up to direct a film about a Jewish warrior set in Old Testament times just prior to his meltdown?

Make Them Die Slowly 1st October 2012 10:37 PM

THE PACT. Surprisingly good haunted house/ghost film with a twist you'll never guess. It has quite a nasty undercurrent running through it which greatly enhances the tension and suspense.

piraterob 1st October 2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 277860)

i like those films too. im sure he will make another film and it could be good if he has creative control

anyhoo watched the classic Halloween again. years since last time i watched it it didnt seem to give me the scares as i remember. could be because i have seen it before or maybe because im older or finding out the mask is william shattner:lol:

one thing though is the music is still chilling. if anyone else knows a film with better use of music let me know. this dvd came with a mini documentary. never knew how low budget and how quickly it was made

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd October 2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 277839)

Wes, have you seen Le Samouraï, Jean-Pierre Melville's 1967 masterpiece? If so, The American is very similar to that in its tone and the central character's dedication and outlook on life and his profession.

Wes 2nd October 2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 277988)
Wes, have you seen Le Samouraï, Jean-Pierre Melville's 1967 masterpiece? If so, The American is very similar to that in its tone and the central character's dedication and outlook on life and his profession.

How can I say no to such a recommendation ? Yep, I love those Melville gangster pics especially Le Samouraï - I'll pick up The American right away... Many thanks Nos !

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd October 2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 277990)
How can I say no to such a recommendation ? Yep, I love those Melville gangster pics especially Le Samouraï - I'll pick up The American right away... Many thanks Nos !

Don't expect The American to be as good as Le Samouraï as it isn't, but the deliberate pacing is something which some people don't like, but I found it essential in such a character study.

The American is also beautifully shot, arguably due to Anton Corbijn's background in still photography.

Beyond72 2nd October 2012 09:22 AM

The Iron Rose - Jean Rollin. A young couple get lost in a large cemetery over night. And that's it. But you know what, I loved it. I haven't seen much Rollin, but after seeing Lips of Blood I always wondered if he had a film like this in him.

Damned in Venice - 70's Italian Horror, similar to other Italian takes on Rosemary's Baby but with some Fulci-esque scenes to liven things up. Features one scene you won't forget in a hurry!

Rik 2nd October 2012 11:18 AM

Started watching Demons on Blu until I remembered I have a meeting with a promoter about an all day Metal festival I'm in the middle of organizing :doh:

Beyond72 2nd October 2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 278017)
Started watching Demons on Blu until I remembered I have a meeting with a promoter about an all day Metal festival I'm in the middle of organizing :doh:

If the meeting doesn't go well, you could always go all "Tony the Pimp" on his ass! :happy:

Bobby Rhodes Highlights from Demons 1 & 2 - YouTube

James Morton 2nd October 2012 12:54 PM

THE BRAVE ONE - not a bad vigilante thrilller, seen better
FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE -one of the best Bond films
GOLDFINGER - ditto

Make Them Die Slowly 2nd October 2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 277993)
Don't expect The American to be as good as Le Samouraï as it isn't, but the deliberate pacing is something which some people don't like, but I found it essential in such a character study.

The American is also beautifully shot, arguably due to Anton Corbijn's background in still photography.

The American is going for £2.00 in Morrisons at the moment.

Wes 2nd October 2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 277993)

Control was great as well, considering the rock biog is notoriously difficult to get right...

Rik 2nd October 2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 278024)
If the meeting doesn't go well, you could always go all "Tony the Pimp" on his ass! :happy:

Bobby Rhodes Highlights from Demons 1 & 2 - YouTube

Ha ha, went really well actually, now back to Demons...