Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd April 2016 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 483815)
Well, Savage Weekend is pretty good but nothing overly amazing either.

My bad. I was thinking it was Pete Walker's Schizo. A film i consider really average.

Yes, the Kinski one was disappointing though, i agree.

davidmurphy.dm19 4th April 2016 04:57 AM

Deathship, starring the late Richard Crenna & George Kennedy. The transfer from Scorpion Releasing was very pleasing. Movie was okay, both actors have done better work. Still, not a bad way to spend 90m.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th April 2016 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483816)
My bad. I was thinking it was Pete Walker's Schizo. A film i consider really average.

Yes, the Kinski one was disappointing though, i agree.

I quite enjoy Schizo but it certainly isn't one of Walker's best.

keirarts 4th April 2016 07:30 AM

The Third man

American author Holly Martins, played by Joseph cotten, heads to post-war Vienna on the invitation of his old friend Harry lime. Holly has hit hard times and Lime has offered a job. Arriving in Vienna he discovers Lime is dead, hit by a car. However the story doesn't quite add up and he begins to investigate, discovering there was a third man at the scene of the Accident. As he investigates further he begins to uncover some disturbing facts about his old friend and falls for Harry's missus (Alida Valli). Eventually it Transpires Harry is alive (no complaints about spoilers please, the film is over 60 years old and Harry's mug is all over the sleeve) and is an utter psychopath who feels strife and conflict creates great things and views the rest of humanity as disposable things. Disgusted by his friends attitude and horrified after visiting a ward of children affected by the watered down penicillin Harry has been distributing through the black market, Holly agrees to lead the police to him and it all culminates in a breathtaking chase through the sewers.
The third man is a magnificent film from director Carol Reed. Actually filmed in the real, bomb damaged ruins of Vienna its visually stunning with black & white photography that is all shadows and strange angles. Its perfectly edited and the story is compelling. Naturally its difficult to talk about the film without discussing the soundtrack which will bore its way into your brain and stay with you forever. The new 4K restoration looks stunning and comes highly recommended.

J Harker 4th April 2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 483831)
The Third man

American author Holly Martins, played by Joseph cotten, heads to post-war Vienna on the invitation of his old friend Harry lime. Holly has hit hard times and Lime has offered a job. Arriving in Vienna he discovers Lime is dead, hit by a car. However the story doesn't quite add up and he begins to investigate, discovering there was a third man at the scene of the Accident. As he investigates further he begins to uncover some disturbing facts about his old friend and falls for Harry's missus (Alida Valli). Eventually it Transpires Harry is alive (no complaints about spoilers please, the film is over 60 years old and Harry's mug is all over the sleeve) and is an utter psychopath who feels strife and conflict creates great things and views the rest of humanity as disposable things. Disgusted by his friends attitude and horrified after visiting a ward of children affected by the watered down penicillin Harry has been distributing through the black market, Holly agrees to lead the police to him and it all culminates in a breathtaking chase through the sewers.
The third man is a magnificent film from director Carol Reed. Actually filmed in the real, bomb damaged ruins of Vienna its visually stunning with black & white photography that is all shadows and strange angles. Its perfectly edited and the story is compelling. Naturally its difficult to talk about the film without discussing the soundtrack which will bore its way into your brain and stay with you forever. The new 4K restoration looks stunning and comes highly recommended.

I'm afraid its the soundtrack that completely ruined the film for me. Totally out of place, silly jingly jangly headache inducing nonsense than wrecked what could have been a fine film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th April 2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 483835)
I'm afraid its the soundtrack that completely ruined the film for me. Totally out of place, silly jingly jangly headache inducing nonsense than wrecked what could have been a fine film.

It works really well as far as I'm concerned, probably why it was a huge chart success worldwide at the time. The zither is – as far as I know – a traditional German/Austrian instrument, which makes it so perfect for the Vienna setting.

J Harker 4th April 2016 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 483838)
It works really well as far as I'm concerned, probably why it was a huge chart success worldwide at the time. The zither is – as far as I know – a traditional German/Austrian instrument, which makes it so perfect for the Vienna setting.

I'm aware its just me Nos. I hated it, really frustrating because the film itself was good. Sounded like the banjo kid from Deliverance was hired to do the soundtrack.

Demoncrat 4th April 2016 03:04 PM

Aside from the Franco, I've perused
Ex Machina (2014, Alex Garland)
Whilst reminiscent of a couple of PKD stories, I thoroughly enjoyed this rather bonny film. Wish I had watched it sooner.

Justin101 4th April 2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 483881)
Aside from the Franco, I've perused
Ex Machina (2014, Alex Garland)
Whilst reminiscent of a couple of PKD stories, I thoroughly enjoyed this rather bonny film. Wish I had watched it sooner.

It took me 2 goes, I think you have to be in the right frame of mind for it as not much happens but the second time I was riveted to the screen. Alicia Vikander was awesome.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2016 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The War Game (1965)

Peter Watkins' 1965 documentary about the effects of a nuclear attack on Britain. Specifically a Kent town some forty miles from any bomb detonation.

Scarily intense and extremely hard hitting i can understand why the government banned this film throughout the 60's, 70's and 80's - decades when the threat of nuclear war was something we constantly lived with. The reason it was banned was the realism of it all. I found the sheer power of it genuinely frightening some 50 years later. Some of the scenes are still disturbing such as children burning, looters being shot whilst desperately looking for food as well as graphic talking head accounts of events.

As with Culloden, Watkins other film on the BFI disc, The War Game is made using interviews done throughout the event of a nuclear strike, before, during and the aftermath of the fallout. The stark black and white photography and commentary of events from Michael Aspel and Dick Graham really force home the sheer terror and panic that must have ensued should such an event occur. The fact of the film were taken from historical documents from Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the flattening of Berlin and Dresden during WW2. It's not just the dropping of the bombs but also the country's lack of any preparation in how to deal with such an event that is just as unnerving. One man thinks ten sandbags up against his front door will save him or a hole in the ground with a corrugated sheet over it would keep another family safe.

However the real skill of Watkins film is that whilst watching it you can't help think it actually happened rather than a fictional account. Anti nuclear propaganda it may well be, it's still the best horror film i've seen in years.

Highly recommended. Culloden / The War Game is the disc of the year so far.

Justin101 4th April 2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483883)
The War Game (1965)

Peter Watkins' 1965 documentary about the effects of a nuclear attack on Britain. Specifically a Kent town some forty miles from any bomb detonation.

Scarily intense and extremely hard hitting i can understand why the government banned this film throughout the 60's, 70's and 80's - decades when the threat of nuclear war was something we constantly lived with. The reason it was banned was the realism of it all. I found the sheer power of it genuinely frightening some 50 years later. Some of the scenes are still disturbing such as children burning, looters being shot whilst desperately looking for food as well as graphic talking head accounts of events.

As with Culloden, Watkins other film on the BFI disc, The War Game is made using interviews done throughout the event of a nuclear strike, before, during and the aftermath of the fallout. The stark black and white photography and commentary of events from Michael Aspel and Dick Graham really force home the sheer terror and panic that must have ensued should such an event occur. The fact of the film were taken from historical documents from Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the flattening of Berlin and Dresden during WW2. It's not just the dropping of the bombs but also the country's lack of any preparation in how to deal with such an event that is just as unnerving. One man thinks ten sandbags up against his front door will save him or a hole in the ground with a corrugated sheet over it would keep another family safe.

However the real skill of Watkins film is that whilst watching it you can't help think it actually happened rather than a fictional account. Anti nuclear propaganda it may well be, it's still the best horror film i've seen in years.

Highly recommended. Culloden / The War Game is the disc of the year so far.

The 2 clips which BFI have put on youtube and the reviews here Dem have made up my mind, I'm buying this disc, probably on the way home today when I grab Michael Mann's Thief :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th April 2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483883)
The War Game (1965)

That reminds me that I saw Threads for a couple of days ago for the first time, which is deserving of its place on any list of great horror films (recently the Time Out one) on which it appears. I suppose we like to kid ourselves that the threat of nuclear war was something which was only in the 1960s, '70s, and '80s, because we tend to forget how many countries currently have nuclear weapons and, because the weapons are more powerful than they were several decades ago, we are one dreadful misunderstanding away from complete annihilation.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 483884)
The 2 clips which BFI have put on youtube and the reviews here Dem have made up my mind, I'm buying this disc, probably on the way home today when I grab Michael Mann's Thief :lol:

Nice one, Justin. Hope you rate it as much as me. :nod:

It's £10.99 on Hmv's website. Just so you don't overpay.

Justin101 4th April 2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483888)
Nice one, Justin. Hope you rate it as much as me. :nod:

It's £10.99 on Hmv's website. Just so you don't overpay.

I saw it in store on Friday and it was £10.99 too. I put it back because I wanted to read about it first, but I've done my research haha.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2016 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 483889)
I saw it in store on Friday and it was £10.99 too. I put it back because I wanted to read about it first, but I've done my research haha.

It's odd but i knew i just had to have it the moment it was announced. I've never seen either film before, but i could hear it calling me.

Justin101 4th April 2016 05:36 PM

Someone else bought Culloden in our HMV so I'll have to get it online, boo, I got Thief though so it wasn't a completely wasted trip!

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 483904)
Someone else bought Culloden in our HMV so I'll have to get it online, boo, I got Thief though so it wasn't a completely wasted trip!

HMV are very quick to deliver so if you ordered now i expect it will arrive on Wednesday.

Justin101 4th April 2016 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483905)
HMV are very quick to deliver so if you ordered now i expect it will arrive on Wednesday.

I'm Amazon prime so it's coming tomorrow :) I'm really looking forward to it, as much as you can look forward to a fake documentary about nuclear war :lol:

I really enjoyed Punishment Park so I'm 100% sure this is going to go down well. I need to grab Privilege too but that can wait until next pay day.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2016 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 483906)
I'm Amazon prime so it's coming tomorrow :) I'm really looking forward to it, as much as you can look forward to a fake documentary about nuclear war :lol:

Fake documentary is the last thing you'll think when watching it. :nod:

trebor8273 5th April 2016 11:48 AM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...ddfb792b10.jpg

Amazing film, great direction, acting, script and soundtrack. James Caan is a thief that only works with a small group of friends ( including James belushi, who looks more like elvis) until he's approached by mobster Leo(Robert Prosky) for the score of his life. Problems arise with Leo and his goons and Frank's ( Caan) crazy ass girlfriend. 10/10

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...e41e8f020d.jpg

A personal favourite of mine about bullied military academy student who gets his bloody revenge on those who have made his life hell with the help of an apple two computer and Satan, watched the extended cut that has some added gore and extra scenes but still don't understand how this film was ever banned as it's quite tame compared to most video nasties. 7.8/10

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...f59a4a0bd9.jpg

Very disappointing slasher, dreadful acting but that's not its biggest problem( many slashers suffer from poor acting) it's more to do with dreadfully slow pacing,lack of any sense of menace and the small amount of unaspiring kills. Picture quality is pretty poor, while not VHS quality(apart from a couple of scenes) as mentioned on Amazon it's definitely not HD, but I suppose with a film like this it's the best we will ever see. 3.7/10

Nordicdusk 5th April 2016 12:38 PM

Bit of advice needed. Myself and my mate are having a night if booze and films Saturday night here's what he has pick two that will complement the booze cheers.

Laserblast
Mandroid
Creeps
Dear God No

trebor8273 5th April 2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 484034)
Bit of advice needed. Myself and my mate are having a night if booze and films Saturday night here's what he has pick two that will complement the booze cheers.

Laserblast
Mandroid
Creeps
Dear God No

Bottom two, but I've not seen dear god no, but if it was me those are the ones I would go for

Nordicdusk 5th April 2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 484039)
Bottom two, but I've not seen dear god no, but if it was me those are the ones I would go for

Thanks Treb.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th April 2016 01:11 PM

Quote:

Laserblast
Mandroid
Creeps
Dear God No

This would be my reaction to the evening's films.

I think i'd stop at home. :tongue1:

Unless of course Harker is the mate in question. Then i'd go and drink all his whisky.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th April 2016 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 484001)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...f59a4a0bd9.jpg

Very disappointing slasher, dreadful acting but that's not its biggest problem( many slashers suffer from poor acting) it's more to do with dreadfully slow pacing,lack of any sense of menace and the small amount of unaspiring kills. Picture quality is pretty poor, while not VHS quality(apart from a couple of scenes) as mentioned on Amazon it's definitely not HD, but I suppose with a film like this it's the best we will ever see. 3.7/10

If it's so bad they'd have been better just producing a dvd surely.

fuzzymctiger 5th April 2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 484059)

Very disappointing to hear, especially after all the delays on the transfer and Olen Ray saying he was going back to restore it in 2K or something

trebor8273 5th April 2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 484059)

Yep, I agree really can't see any diffence if it had been on DVD, of course it might just be me, so be interesting to see what others think but with the delays etc I did expect it to look better, as I said not as awful as peopel say on Amazon but definitely not Hd quality

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th April 2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 484063)
Yep, I agree really can't see any diffence if it had been on DVD, of course it might just be me, so be interesting to see what others think but with the delays etc I did expect it to look better, as I said not as awful as peopel say on Amazon but definitely not Hd quality

I've got it in the post at the moment, dvd version. That may actually look better if it's not just as sharp as the HD version.

As for the film. I've seen it once way back and didn't mind it at all...so we'll see. :nod:

nosferatu42 5th April 2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Laserblast
Mandroid
Creeps
Dear God No

I quite enjoyed 'Dear god no', it's trying to be a bit of a biker/sleaze/drugs/home invasion/nazi experiment hybrid,in a 70's exploitation kinda way.
Other than that i'd go for 'the creeps', i haven't seen it but monster midgets is surely worth a look, also there is supposed to be an xtra feature called 'best of sex and violence' on the u.k disc that was a pre-cert vhs release.
if the films that bad you could put this on.;)

Nordicdusk 5th April 2016 01:38 PM

Just looking to kick the night off with some stupid fun trash.

nosferatu42 5th April 2016 01:42 PM

Dear god no is definitely stupid and i thought it was fun.:pop2:

Nordicdusk 5th April 2016 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 484075)
Dear god no is definitely stupid and i thought it was fun.:pop2:

Perfect for the occasion then.

keirarts 5th April 2016 05:29 PM

The bees

from the director of the trash-tastic and incredibly fun Demonoid comes this story about 'Africanised' honey bees being smuggled from south America by an Evil corporation keen to exploit the properties of the royal jelly. In spite of warnings from John Saxon the genie is let loose and the Bees go on a rampage. Think The swarm but trashier and an hour shorter and your on the right track with this one. Its totally nuts but honestly its a whole lot of fun. vinegar syndrome release another winner and the quality here is terrific. Its sort of weird there's no sign of a blu-ray for the swarm but I can live with this one as its a whole lot of fun.

Salo (120 days of sodom)

I've had a keen dislike of this film for many years. However I love a bargain so when Zoverstocks had this I ended up snagging it. I'm certain most here are familiar with the subject matter. Four bourgeois fascists round up a group of boys and girls and take them to a villa to indulge every whim with a severe set of authoritarian rules imposed on their victims that mean they basically can do whatever the hell they want. what ensues is a catalogue of Rape, buggery, Coprophagia, torture and .... well you get the idea. As free reign ensues things get steadily bleaker and more out of hand, innocence is corrupted and their young victims either become complicit or are destroyed.
As weird as it sounds I'm glad I gave this another go. I have to say I appreciated the film a lot more this time around. Perhaps its age or simple world weariness. It might be a case of reading the papers too much or just looking at the black hole society seems to be circling but I found a lot more in the film this time round in regards to the toxic effect of Fascism on society. It seems to reflect the post internet era in some respects and the four fascists seem to echo are leaders more and more. It's chilling stuff but I have to say I appreciate it more than I ever did before.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th April 2016 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Lazarus Effect (2015)

A group of Californian medical researchers experiment attempting to bring the dead back to life. Things begin to unravel when the experiment proves successful on a dog and the university dean finds out about the experiments and shuts them down allowing a chemical research company to confiscate their research...

The Lazarus Effect is a surprisingly effective little chiller. Clocking in at a mere 75 minutes plus end credits, the film wastes no time in getting to the plot and even manages to be thought provoking in respect of what happens to us and our soul after death.

What i really liked was the way the script and direction introduced us to each character and in just a couple of lines gave them purpose and made them feel fully rounded, making the viewer immediately care for them. This isn't an easy feat especially in horror where the protagonists tend to be stereotypes or caricatures. Credit must also go to the cast which features fine character actors in Olivia Wilde, Sarah Bolger, Mark Duplass and Ray Wise who gave their characters believability.

As far as horror films go The Lazarus Effect is largely gore free but an uneasy atmosphere slowly builds throughout culminating in a tense finale. Thankfully it doesn't resort to lazy jump scare tactics although i admit at one point i did properly jump and i can't recall the last film that made me miss a heartbeat like this did.

All in all i found The Lazarus Effect to be a really enjoyable horror film. Recommended.

J Harker 5th April 2016 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 484058)
This would be my reaction to the evening's films.

I think i'd stop at home. :tongue1:

Unless of course Harker is the mate in question. Then i'd go and drink all his whisky.

I thought we'd got this clear now. I don't have a large stock of whiskey. I am unable to amass any great quantity of the stuff because i end up bloody drinking it. Unlike Demdike and his booze tardis.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th April 2016 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 484150)
I thought we'd got this clear now. I don't have a large stock of whiskey. I am unable to amass any great quantity of the stuff because i end up bloody drinking it. Unlike Demdike and his booze tardis.

You Americans and your whiskey. :tongue1:

J Harker 5th April 2016 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 484151)
You Americans and your whiskey. :tongue1:

Actually here in deepest darkest Welshland its Wysgi.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th April 2016 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 484152)
Actually here it Wysgi.

Really! I didn't know that. Learn something new every day etc.

J Harker 5th April 2016 10:58 PM

To be honest i can never remember the difference between the Scottish and US spelling. Sometimes i check the bottle but all i can make out is wwwhhhhiiissskkkuuurrrgghhh...

J Harker 5th April 2016 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 484153)
Really! I didn't know that. Learn something new every day etc.

http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/