Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Zann 12th February 2013 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallicbomb (Post 320988)
Just watched another 2 films in my foreign movie marathon
French films
Switchblade Romance
Martyrs
So now I've watched 2 French films 2 Mexican films
Tomorrow 2 Spanish films Rec Rec 2
Any one no of two German horror(ish) films that will go together nicely
In a double bill and any other countries with 2 films (Accept Italy)

Funny Games and The Baader Meinhof Complex perhaps :popcorn:

Metallicbomb 12th February 2013 07:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestions:nod:

Justin101 12th February 2013 08:56 AM

Hellraiser II: Disappointment (1988)

Too American, too predictable, too generic - really dated. It's hard to believe that this was only a year after the stellar original, again I've not seen Hellbound: Hellraiser II in well over 10 years the same as the first installment, and I remember not being greatly amused by it back then, but things haven't gotten any better 10 years later. It's like a typical American 1980's horror with a wise cracking 'baddie' a la Kruger.

I remember quite enjoying Hellraiser III which is ironic because it's all the things I hated about part II so I'll watch that installment this week and see if my opinion of it has changed since the turn of the century :lol:

Justin101 12th February 2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallicbomb (Post 320999)
Thanks for the suggestions:nod:

Funny Games is actually Belgian :p

JoshuaKaitlyn 12th February 2013 09:06 AM

Mud and Sand (1922)
Häxan (1922)
The Toll of the Sea (1922)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post321010

Baseball Fury 12th February 2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 321009)

It's not, it's actually Austrian, haha.

Surely if you're doing a German double bill it should be M and Caligari?

Handyman Joe 12th February 2013 09:49 AM

I had exactly the same experience - Hellraiser II is a big fat dud and III is even worse (God knows what the rest are like - Jesus Wept might be appropriate). BTW what the hell has happened to Clive Barker lately - there was supposed to be a new horror book, The Scarlet Gospels, out, oh, 3 years ago?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 321008)

Too American, too predictable, too generic - really dated. It's hard to believe that this was only a year after the stellar original, again I've not seen Hellbound: Hellraiser II in well over 10 years the same as the first installment, and I remember not being greatly amused by it back then, but things haven't gotten any better 10 years later. It's like a typical American 1980's horror with a wise cracking 'baddie' a la Kruger.

I remember quite enjoying Hellraiser III which is ironic because it's all the things I hated about part II so I'll watch that installment this week and see if my opinion of it has changed since the turn of the century :lol:

WinterMillennium 12th February 2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 321021)
I had exactly the same experience - Hellraiser II is a big fat dud and III is even worse (God knows what the rest are like - Jesus Wept might be appropriate). BTW what the hell has happened to Clive Barker lately - there was supposed to be a new horror book, The Scarlet Gospels, out, oh, 3 years ago?

still recovering from a nasty brush with toxic shock syndrome that left him in a coma about this time last year... still working, but not as prolific. he's on Facebook and Twitter, should you wish to keep in the loop, tends to make great reading!

gag 12th February 2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 321021)

The Official Clive Barker Website - Revelations - Film, TV

Here his offical website you can find all about where and what he up to and all about his illness on here somewhere..

WinterMillennium 12th February 2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clive Barker
Perhaps we could put the references to Cenobites aside for a while and address real pain, daily pain, the pain that makes me feel claustrophobic because I'm trapped in my flesh and bones and they ache all the time. There's no escape hatch. The body starts its inevitable decline and our nerves do their job of reporting those profoundly unpleasant sensations to the brain. That's where things get really problematical for an artist such as myself. Until the last six or seven years I lived in a blessed state. When I was ready to make art I simply slipped out of my mind and flew. My work was a kid of poetic journalism; I reported what I saw with my mind's eye. I was like a bird flying on thermals. It took no effort to soar. And then I was kicked out of Paradise. Into my life came inexplicable chronic pain. And I have not flown on painless wings since. Those of you who know me well will already have realized that around this period I ceased to work at such a productive rate. And I got a lot of very distressing responses from readers who demanded that I work faster, and stop being so damn lazy. I decided not to tell them what I'm sharing with you now because I knew there'd only be a further barrage of accusations in response. All I can do is work as fast as I am able, even though my mind is constantly interrupted by the tormentor in the shadows of my body, who scarcely lets a minute go by without reminding me that house is sealed and I'm locked in with a thing that lives to make me hurt. Well **** it, I'm going to keep dreaming. And if the work comes more slowly, at least it will keep coming.

and that's possibly an answer to your question, straight from the horse's ;)

Justin101 12th February 2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 321018)

Hahah I knew that, it was early though when I wrote that lol.

Justin101 12th February 2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinterMillennium (Post 321026)
and that's possibly an answer to your question, straight from the horse's ;)

I hope he starts to feel better because he's such a talented writer, even that paragraph describing his ill health is so poetically written.

Get well soon Clive. :clap:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th February 2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 321009)

If you count Germany as one of the co-producing companies rather than the sole country of origin, there's also films including Anatomy, Nosferatu (and Nosferatu: The Vampyre), Cemetery Man (Dellamorte Dellamore), Short Night of Glass Dolls, Mark of the Devil, Daughters of Darkness, One Missed Call (2008), the first three Resident Evil movies, Vampyr, Doom, The Devil's Rejects and Nekromantic.

Daemonia 12th February 2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 321008)

I really like Hellbound: Hellraiser II, probably more then the first one. Did you see the full, uncut version or the old truncated version? Uncut it's startlingly gory and violent.

So, I'll have to disagree with you on this one.

Justin101 12th February 2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 321049)
I really like Hellbound: Hellraiser II, probably more then the first one. Did you see the full, uncut version or the old truncated version? Uncut it's startlingly gory and violent.

So, I'll have to disagree with you on this one.

It was the 99 minute version which is the uncut version, yes it was pretty gory, a few set pieces were good, but ultimately boring. So yes, let's disagree :D

Beyond72 12th February 2013 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hyaena in the Safe AKA Una iena in cassaforte (1968)

Frigging fun giallo/crime flick! While there's the odd dark moment, mainly in the beginning, which has a drug addict being mentally tortured and two women turning on another and stripping her! (It really captures the trashy crime paperback roots of the genre in those moments.) But it's mainly playful, especially the theme music & cinematography. There's even a neat trick with the way "FINE" appears on the screen. Oh and Maria Luisa Geisberger is mesmerizing as a femme fatale.

Dave Boy 12th February 2013 02:34 PM

Blade Runner (1982)
King Kong (1976)

Demoncrat 12th February 2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 321018)

Or Angst & The Burning Moon??;);)

Nordicdusk 12th February 2013 05:07 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Attachment 99843 Attachment 99844 Attachment 99845 Attachment 99846 Attachment 99847 Attachment 99848 Attachment 99849 Attachment 99850 Attachment 99851 Attachment 99852 Attachment 99853

Slippery Jack 12th February 2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 321095)
Or Angst & The Burning Moon??;);)

Has Angst had any release worth getting yet? I heard there was a non English friendly Blu, but then I don't remember the film having much dialogue anyway . . .

trebor8273 12th February 2013 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yesterdays viewings

tele1962 12th February 2013 05:49 PM

Watched Earth Versus The Flying Saucers last night on Blu. This one is an old favorite of mine, so i decided to give the Colourised version a go as Harry says in his interview that he always envisaged his films in colour but because of budget constraints it proved impossible to do.. While it is a very good effort and in places extremely good, for the most part though the colour is all over the place with most of the characters taking on a very Jaundiced skin tones It is was never the best looking disc and i am not sure if it's the source or some sort of jiggery pokery going on during the transfer, but at times detail disappears into a white mush usually seen on the faces (foreheads) of the actors. The audio i thought was really very good for a film of this age.
However i will still recomend it as i love old Sci Fi movies and especialy the work of Ray Harryhausen, although this is suposed to be his least favorite work.

Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers trailer - YouTube

trebor8273 12th February 2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 321146)
Watched Earth Versus The Flying Saucers last night on Blu. This one is an old favorite of mine, so i decided to give the Colourised version a go as Harry says in his interview that he always envisaged his films in colour but because of budget constraints it proved impossible to do.. While it is a very good effort and in places extremely good, for the most part though the colour is all over the place with most of the characters taking on a very Jaundiced skin tones It is was never the best looking disc and i am not sure if it's the source or some sort of jiggery pokery going on during the transfer, but at times detail disappears into a white mush usually seen on the faces (foreheads) of the actors. The audio i thought was really very good for a film of this age.
However i will still recomend it as i love old Sci Fi movies and especialy the work of Ray Harryhausen, although this is suposed to be his least favorite work.

Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers trailer - YouTube

Love the film but I had to go back to the black and white version, the colours where awful people look like they suffered from jaundice

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th February 2013 06:01 PM

So, what did you think of Joan and some bugs Nordic.?

Nordicdusk 12th February 2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 321151)
So, what did you think of Joan and some bugs Nordic.?

I really enjoyed it actually i taught it was great in fact seem to get alot of hate on the net but it had alot of charm. Very enjoyable.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th February 2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 321152)
I really enjoyed it actually i taught it was great in fact seem to get alot of hate on the net but it had alot of charm. Very enjoyable.

Glad we think alike. :nod: :cool: :)

Zann 12th February 2013 06:18 PM

Dusted off my old Parc DVD of Rise and Fall of Idi Amin

I love this movie, it's got a real Mondo vibe to it...unsurprising considering how soon after his exile it was made. Definitely a guilty pleasure as it's pretty indefensible.

And don't get me started on that film with McAvoy in it...

Hawkmonger 12th February 2013 07:33 PM

Don't Look Now- Should take no introduction. Suffice to say, IMHO, it's the best British film of all time only riveld by The Wicker Man. Let's hope Criterion get a hold of it as i'd happily double dip on BD despite the Studio Canal BD being more than adequite.

Zann 12th February 2013 08:06 PM

Thriller: A Cruel Picture

...again...really hoped I'd like this but it's just too slow for me, painfully so in parts especially the overused slow mo death scences :mmph:

Metallicbomb 12th February 2013 10:51 PM

Just watched
Rec
Rec 2
2 of the best zombie films I've seen:clap:

Nordicdusk 12th February 2013 11:03 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Attachment 99982 Attachment 99983 Attachment 99984 Attachment 99985 Attachment 99986 Attachment 99987 Attachment 99988 Attachment 99989 Attachment 99990 Attachment 99991 Attachment 99992

These will get me through the night.

ArgentoFan1987 13th February 2013 05:23 AM

Bought quite a few films since the start of February, but my most anticipated was George Romero's Martin. I've heard so many great things about this that I was desperate to see it, which is why I saved it for last!

Never has a film that I've anticipated SO MUCH bored me so much! :( nothing happens and and has no story apart from a young guy who goes to stay wih a creepy old uncle who keeps telling him he's a relative of Nosferatu. His granddaughter tells him he isn't. Granddaughter tries to convince grandad that he boy isn't evil which just makes him shout about Nosferatu even more

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 321178)
really hoped I'd like this but it's just too slow for me, painfully so in parts

this was exactly how I felt about this film. It did have a couple of good scenes, but it's not enough to save the film for me. I wanted to like it SO badly and I can't believe how disappointed I found it. 5.5/10

Did anyone else feel the same way about it, because it seems to me like everyone loves it.

Make Them Die Slowly 13th February 2013 07:23 AM

CARLOS Part 1.

Guns, bombs and f*cking with a minimal amount of revolutionary rhetoric across 70s Europe. Not as sexy or inspiring as the similar themed "Baader Meinhof Complex". However it ends with Carlos, beret firmly in place, ready to raid the OPEC conference, where legend has it he strolled into the room uttering the words "My name is Carlos...you may have heard of me."

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th February 2013 12:01 PM

What's Black Dog like Nordic?

Nordicdusk 13th February 2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 321286)
What's Black Dog like Nordic?

I have a couple of films left to watch that and Vampires so ill let you know as soon as i watch it. I gotta go out side for a while i think :lol:

My mate goes on and on about how great it is and i trust his judgement more than most so im expecting good things. Any way Meatloaf is in it and hes angry what could go wrong.

Frankie Teardrop 13th February 2013 12:16 PM

HOLY MOTORS - Believe the hype. I thought this was amazing. An actor guy roves around Paris in a white limo looking for 'scenes' in which he plays various bizarre characters. It's obviously quite 'meta-cinema' on one level, but, being a weird movie freak rather than a cineaste per se, I enjoyed it more on the level of surface effect. But what a surface - I loved the way 'Holy Motors' turns emotionally, from cold strangeness to something altogether more affecting and tender in its latter stages.

V/H/S - Although it's maybe not entirely succesful, I enjoyed this episodic 'found footage' experiment. At some points it comes close to capturing the sinister grottiness of abandoned, degraded VHS footage. At other points, it's a bludgeoning whirlwhind of video fragments. I really liked the segment with the digital glitch entity, which for some reason I found genuinely creepy, and to be fair most of the episodes manage to sidestep cliche just enough to capture something reasonably disturbing.

CLONE - Aka 'Womb'. A woman clones (and gives birth to copy of) her dead boyfriend. She raises the clone from birth. Things get Oedipal. I liked this slow, meditative take on some big questions about love and sexuality. It's not exploitative, despite its subject matter's potential, and those looking for something more explicit might easily find themselves bored by 'Clone's glacial, contemplative approach, but it's an unusual film which is worth a watch.

DEATH WATCH - In dystopian early eighties future Glasgow where death following disease is a novelty, Harvey Keitel films the last days of a terminally ill Romy Scheider after media boss Harry Dean Stanton implants a camera in HK's eye. The results are broadcast live on TV. As well as being an eerily prophetic critique of 'reality' TV before it even happened, this is really moving and in some places heart rending, particularly at the end. The idea of all the above named actors making a seemingly Ballard-inspired sci fi movie in post-punk Glasgow is also pretty intoxicating. A brilliant film, highly recommended.

INDECENT DESIRES - Sixties softcore director Doris Wishman's films often amaze me with their subtle, unforced but utterly haywire weirdness. I'm not sure how much of her approach was deliberate or not. The same weird shots - mostly of peoples feet and inanimate objects - crop up in most of her movies, so I'm assuming she was trying to get some basic point across. It gives her work a really cryptic, dream-like edge. Here, the madness is reined in just a bit, but we have the requisite foot fetish along with an insideous and pivotal recurring shot of a water cooler. The plot involves a creep who finds a discarded doll in a bin, takes it home and finds it's supernaturally connected to a woman he's stalking. The incessant upbeat jazzy score adds to the lopsided sense of estrangement. Not for all tastes, but recommended for some (well, I'd recommend it to myself, anyway.)

Delirium 13th February 2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 321291)
HOLY MOTORS - Believe the hype. I thought this was amazing. An actor guy roves around Paris in a white limo looking for 'scenes' in which he plays various bizarre characters. It's obviously quite 'meta-cinema' on one level, but, being a weird movie freak rather than a cineaste per se, I enjoyed it more on the level of surface effect. But what a surface - I loved the way 'Holy Motors' turns emotionally, from cold strangeness to something altogether more affecting and tender in its latter stages.

I loved Holy Motors at the cinema last year, and have since bought the blu. I love how Carax respects his audience enough to allow them to fall into the rhythms of the film, so by the time it slows right down with its more gentle and poignant moments, he already has us in his grasp.

That interlude alone - the church/accordion scene - is my of my favourite scenes in recent years. And the chameleon-like Denis Lavant is just remarkable.

Metallicbomb 13th February 2013 01:28 PM

I might watch what I refer to as the zannibal trilogy:pound:
Cannibal Holocaust (Cannibal Film)
Zombie Holocaust (Cannibal Films With Zombies)
Zombie Flesh Eaters (Zombie Films)

Slippery Jack 13th February 2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 321298)
That interlude alone - the church/accordion scene - is my of my favourite scenes in recent years.

Same here! Sounded amazing booming out though the cinema, a truly memorable moment in my filmgoing :cool: . . .

gag 13th February 2013 03:12 PM

Because of being unemployed and skint i cant afford to buy films.
But when i was in cex other day just browsing and looking at what i wish i could buy i saw Death Tube for £1 so i thought this looks interesting its only a quid..By god it was a pound wasted what a god damn awful film..
One of those where the concept was a good one and cant help thinking it could have been done so much better, The acting was terrible not one likeable character so couldnt care less who lived or died, And what the hell was with the Character behind the killings must be the worst ever in any film in the history of films, It was like a really bad pokemon reject seeking revenge on the people who rejected him, and as for the other bear characters its like as if pudsey bear and his relatives have made their debut film in there spare time between raising cash for children in need, As if the film wasnt bad enough to begin with when they where all released from their rooms the films went so downhill it actualy become embarrasing to even watch...Such a god damn awful and terrible film that even the horror channel would probably be embarrased to show it and worst thing is they went on to make a sequel.