Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

vincenzo 24th April 2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 76002)
Mad Max (my girlfriend had never seen it! so, I used this as an excuse to upgrade to a DVD. I can't believe I had to manually select the original audio track!)

Same here. I started watching the US dub by accident (it plays by default) and it was dire. :ack:

42ndStreetFreak 24th April 2010 01:28 PM

"The Mummy's Hand"

http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvmumhand.php

Meh....
This unconnected sequel to the Karloff starring “The Mummy” is actually one of the most (plot wise) influential horror movies made.

The infamous ‘tana leaves’ lore starts with this film, as does the use of the names Kharis and Ananka. Things that would actually be the main source of inspiration for Hammer’s “The Mummy".
This film also gives us the actual rampaging, bandaged, Mummy who shuffles about killing people.

Sadly the entire first half of the movie’s short running time (it’s nearly half over before they even start the expedition, let alone any vengeful mummy appearing) is taken up with comedy scenes from Wallace Ford.
We also have a few dubious logic moments here and some dire dialogue that don’t help matters.

Acting is okay from everyone and George Zucco has some fun as a fanatic priest.
Tom Tyler makes for a pretty effective mummy and the post production blackening of his eyes makes for some great, creepy, close-ups.

But as far as the mummy’s killing spree goes, well for one it’s not much of a spree then it consists mostly of;
Mummy shuffles into the camp.
Attacks someone.
Rest of the cast sits around camp discussing attacks.
Not much in the way of thrills until the fiery finale.

So some certainly influential ideas here, a pretty effective mummy with the odd effective moment of action, but overall this is far too slow to get going and far too lightweight due to the over reliance on dated comedy.

The less well thought-of sequel, “The Mummy’s Tomb”, would pretty much fix all these problems though.

Gigantor 24th April 2010 01:53 PM

American werewolf in london
kick ass
alice in wonderland
how to train your dragon
muppets in space
walk in
cop out

vincenzo 24th April 2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 76010)
"The Mummy's Hand"

Fully agree with this. I waited for years to see this one after reading its praises, and found it to be a dull film with genuinely annoying comedy.

I'm not a huge fan of the Karloff original apart from the first 15 mins.

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th April 2010 08:22 PM

Ok,here's a question for you all,although I've never seen anyone ask this before,it's been bugging me for years.There's no mention on IMDB at all but in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome but when Max is being taken under bartertown,one of the guys working looks at him as he walks by as if he recognizes him.The guy looks a hell of a lot like the MFP officer,Charlie,who gets his throat cut in the car accident in Mad Max.Am I just crazy or has anyone else noticed this?

nekromantik 24th April 2010 08:48 PM

Saw Ligeia last night, stopped watching after an hour :lol:
really quite bad.
Looked decent from the trailer, oh wells

Tagney 24th April 2010 09:32 PM

One of my favourites: Pupi Avati's 'Zeder', last night. Undead priest is creepy..
I also had a nightmare after watching the movie, but i don't remember what was it about.

vincenzo 24th April 2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 76067)
Ok,here's a question for you all,although I've never seen anyone ask this before,it's been bugging me for years.There's no mention on IMDB at all but in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome but when Max is being taken under bartertown,one of the guys working looks at him as he walks by as if he recognizes him.The guy looks a hell of a lot like the MFP officer,Charlie,who gets his throat cut in the car accident in Mad Max.Am I just crazy or has anyone else noticed this?

I've never noticed before but I'll recheck it. I do recall seeing him as one of the camp inmates in Turkey Shoot (along with Roger Ward, Max's boss in the original).

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th April 2010 10:44 PM

Yeah there's no mention anywhere of the actor who played Charlie appearing in Beyond Thunderdome,I just thought he sort of looked like him and maybe fans where supposed to wonder.

mbv 25th April 2010 06:53 AM

Watched Silent night deadly night yesterday. One of the best slashers i've seen. The film has everything and has a plot too!
The creepy granda at the start kinda freaked me out though!!He would have fit in nicely in Twin Peaks.
Loads of the red stuff and plenty of excessive nudity ticks all the slasher boxes.
Also features one of the funniest 'Look how great I am at my job' montages.