Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

SShaw 14th April 2013 10:35 PM

The Black Square was rather good.

Then it was Spanish end of the world science fiction Fin which I really liked.

I also saw Trance (which is already on general release in the U.K.) which was a lot of fun and very reminiscent of Shallow Grave.

Sunday started with another philosophical science fiction film in the shape of crowd funded Found in Time.

Then it was onto the excellent documentary Despite the Gods which follows Jennifer Lynch's adventure making the movie Hiss in India.

and finally just enough time to squeeze in 80's classic Possession before I left for the plane home.

As promised on Friday I will try to say a few words more about the films and the Imagine festival over on my diary in the coming days.

Delirium 15th April 2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 335658)
Some of his music is good and some is interesting shall we say. I liked his attitude of not giving a shit but sometimes he went too far rolling in his own shit on stage eating shit puking on people at his shows throwing shit at people at his shows beating up women the list goes on and on.

But that was the point of GG - he put the danger back into punk rock. The documentary Jinx watched is fascinating - I also have the book. He was a true character.

There's some great stuff of him on talk shows like Jerry Springer on YouTube.

Gigantor 15th April 2013 08:24 AM

DEAD SUSHI

MAN OF IRON

Delirium 15th April 2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 335844)
Then it was onto the excellent documentary Despite the Gods which follows Jennifer Lynch's adventure making the movie Hiss in India.

Probably a whole lot better than her movie, Hisss, which is just dreadful. Even the sultry presence of Mallika Sherawat couldn't save it.

Nostalgic 15th April 2013 04:52 PM

Just watched the docs (Phans and Phantasmagoria) on the Phantasm box.....AMAZING!!! Despite not being the world's bigges Phantasm fan, they made me want to watch the whole lot again!!!

Nordicdusk 15th April 2013 04:57 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Attachment 107003 Attachment 107004 Attachment 107005 Attachment 107006 Attachment 107007 Attachment 107008 Attachment 107009 Attachment 107010 Attachment 107011 Attachment 107012 Attachment 107013

keirarts 15th April 2013 04:59 PM

Oblivion.

Pinches from a ton of better SCI-FI and has a plot that will have you easily guessing the 'twists', its overlong as well.

Looks beautiful though and the score is amazing, its like something you might find in a michael mann film from the eighties. Not as good as tron legacy but not the worst thing i've seen either. Doubt it will work on home video.

demonknight 15th April 2013 05:03 PM

Watched Donnie Brasco yesterday.
Great movie. Pacino brilliant as always and
Depp's finest moment IMO.
Had me glued to the screen for two and a half hours.
Time well spent I say:cool:

Nordicdusk 15th April 2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 335945)
Oblivion.

Pinches from a ton of better SCI-FI and has a plot that will have you easily guessing the 'twists', its overlong as well.

Looks beautiful though and the score is amazing, its like something you might find in a michael mann film from the eighties. Not as good as tron legacy but not the worst thing i've seen either. Doubt it will work on home video.

Im really glad i went to the cinema as well it looked fantastic. As you said the score was really something else added a great atmosphere. The story is nothing new but i still like how it was delivered. Id recommend it but just expect to be blown away.

Dave Boy 15th April 2013 05:20 PM

The Curse Of The Werewolf (1961)

Halloween (1978)

Rik 15th April 2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 335948)
Watched Donnie Brasco yesterday.
Great movie. Pacino brilliant as always and
Depp's finest moment IMO.
Had me glued to the screen for two and a half hours.
Time well spent I say:cool:

Love that film :nod:

Metallicbomb 15th April 2013 11:34 PM

Just finished watching
The Walking Dead: Season 3
Can't wait for Season 4

keirarts 15th April 2013 11:54 PM

IN THEIR SLEEP.

Surprisingly nasty little thriller from france. A grief stricken mother getting over the loss of her son hits a stranger in her car late one night. She takes him home to make sure he's ok, and as he reminds her of her late son she overlooks growing signs that he's actually a complete psycopath. Well executed for the most part, (though the flashback structure feels a little awkward in places) and well acted. Not as gory as something like INSIDE or HAUTE TENSION but still quite unpleasant at moments.

AND THE BAND PLAYED ON.

A HBO drama chronicling the early eighties as AIDS hit america the film follows the struggle to identify the disease and deal with it warts and all. It's a great slice of drama with plenty of guest appearences. I hate phil collins, but even he's quite good here.. The uk version is quite dear but the american disc which is exactly the same is much cheaper.

troggi 16th April 2013 07:15 AM

"Gappa: The Trifibian Terror"
In an incredible oversight someone seems to have forgotten to tell the Japanese that it's not very PC to "black-up"!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51N8NSF93BL.jpg

Demoncrat 16th April 2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 336054)
"Gappa: The Trifibian Terror"
In an incredible oversight someone seems to have forgotten to tell the Japanese that it's not very PC to "black-up"!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51N8NSF93BL.jpg

sure I saw one of the Boomtown Rats similarily pigmented etc during TOTP????

Dave Boy 16th April 2013 08:02 PM

ALIEN (1979)

On blu ray. Awesome !

troggi 16th April 2013 09:03 PM

http://www.movieposterdb.com/posters...8_1e08f99f.jpg

Superb "imagineering" from Korda. The scale of this film is amazing.:nod:

Rik 16th April 2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 336151)
http://www.movieposterdb.com/posters...8_1e08f99f.jpg

Superb "imagineering" from Korda. The scale of this film is amazing.:nod:

Image hasn't loaded, what film is it?

oaxaca 16th April 2013 09:24 PM

Watched Cronenberg's A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE earlier on a Scandinavian blu ray I found for £3 at a local car boot lol. Anyway, I love the film, incredibly tense with great direction and seriously good turns by Viggo Mortensen, Ed Harris and William Hurt! Prefer this to Eastern Promises although that was also excellent.

monkeyscreams 16th April 2013 10:26 PM

Dracula (1958) Terence Fisher (Lionsgate/Hammer blu-ray)
I watched this film tonight with the audio commentary by Marcus Hearn and Jonathan Rigby. Excellent film (but that is nothing new) and a very entertaining and insightful commentary. I love this blu-ray, a true gem.

Rik 16th April 2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyscreams (Post 336204)
Dracula (1958) Terence Fisher (Lionsgate/Hammer blu-ray)
I watched this film tonight with the audio commentary by Marcus Hearn and Jonathan Rigby. Excellent film (but that is nothing new) and a very entertaining and insightful commentary. I love this blu-ray, a true gem.

I haven't checked out the commentary yet, but I did enjoy the one they did for Curse of Frankenstein so I'm sure this one is just as good :nod:

monkeyscreams 16th April 2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 336164)
Prefer this to Eastern Promises although that was also excellent.

I prefer Eastern Promises (but that may have something to do with Naomi Watts), but I agree, both are excellent films.

troggi 16th April 2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 336158)
Image hasn't loaded, what film is it?

Sorry, It's Alexander Korda's "Things to Come"

Demoncrat 17th April 2013 05:15 PM

La Maledicion de Frankenstein (Jesus Franco, 1972).
Howard V reaaally excels himself this time, chewing the scenery like a hungry man shown a fully stocked larder, la Romay looks fetching in gypsy mode but what for I'm nae sure haha.

Definitely one I'l be revisiting......;)

tele1962 17th April 2013 06:03 PM

Just watched Samsara and it was spectacular, a bit of a darker view of life than Baraka. The images were breathtaking in the extreme with blacks on my Sammy never looking better especially in the night time city scenes with some shots appearing almost 3D. There doesn't seem to be any of the sharpening or compression artefact's that were evident in Baraka.
The Audio was superb also.
On the technical side of things according to the extras it was filmed on 65mm Neg then converted to 8K, then on to a 4K scanner (i think i have that right). It for me provides excellent demo material and i highly recommend viewing it.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-score010.gif

troggi 17th April 2013 06:46 PM

I had a lovely "Dwight Frye" time last night with "Dracula" and "Frankenstein". I enjoyed it so much that I think I'll do a couple more Universals tonight.

:cool:

keirarts 17th April 2013 10:19 PM

DARK SKIES.

In spite of the dire reviews I braved this one with my mate adam for orange wednesday. Actually better than it was made out to be. It's far from perfect, theres some glaring continuity issues ( a bruise changes sides on one head of one of the characters, the buise is a big plot point.) and a weak script (the lead character is an architect, one of those really lazy careers script writers seem to give characters when they lack any better ideas) and at least one big plot is raised then forgotten. That said the scare scenes are for the most part well executed and I reckon this attempt at poultergeist with aliens will probably develop a cult fanbase on home video which is probably more the films natural home. I'll probably end up buying it, i've seen far worse.

troggi 17th April 2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 336296)
I had a lovely "Dwight Frye" time last night with "Dracula" and "Frankenstein". I enjoyed it so much that I think I'll do a couple more Universals tonight.

:cool:

Yupp! I went "Dracula's Daughter" & "The Bride of Frankenstein". I may be in for a long ride, I have at least another five "Universals" to hand and this week is our pay week so watch out CEX!

:nod:

Jinx_Barkman 18th April 2013 02:12 AM

http://images.moviepostershop.com/no...1020204454.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of this film. It certainly is a bit contrived and silly but the beauty of the photography is extraordinary. That is one of the very few positive features of this film. I felt like the writing was extremely weak. I love surreal cinema and the fact that it will take you on a journey into the abyss with no distinct narrative path but this struggled with it's identity immensely. At times it wanted to be a narrative but there wasn't enough meat on the bones to chew. That being said, I'm not sure about a recommendation but I'm glad I watched it at least once.

Delirium 18th April 2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman (Post 336379)

I'm not sure what to make of this film. It certainly is a bit contrived and silly but the beauty of the photography is extraordinary. That is one of the very few positive features of this film. I felt like the writing was extremely weak. I love surreal cinema and the fact that it will take you on a journey into the abyss with no distinct narrative path but this struggled with it's identity immensely. At times it wanted to be a narrative but there wasn't enough meat on the bones to chew. That being said, I'm not sure about a recommendation but I'm glad I watched it at least once.

It's an unusual film, isn't it? I've always had a soft spot for Northfolk, and felt its narrative shortcomings were just about compensated for by some stunning cinematography and curiously surreal touches. Been years since I saw it last, so probably needs a reevaluation.

J Harker 18th April 2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 334875)
Watched Fright Night (1985 Twilight Time BR) last night and loved every minute. PQ & AQ were fantastic, all in all a great film. :)

Not sure where best to post this but if any of you lovely peeps are interested there's a copy of this release up on amazon now for £25.

Rik 18th April 2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 336404)
Not sure where best to post this but if any of you lovely peeps are interested there's a copy of this release up on amazon now for £25.

Not anymore, £1900 and £2000 now :eek:

Crazy prices for a mediocre film!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th April 2013 10:49 AM

I'm not sure why I didn't post this four days ago, but these are the films I watched last week.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...psdf74dba1.jpg

J Harker 18th April 2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 336407)
Not anymore, £1900 and £2000 now :eek:

Crazy prices for a mediocre film!

Didn't think it would last long at that price. I can't see how they ever hope to sell those other two at those absurd prices. I thought £24.99 was too much myself. I like Fright Night but I wouldn't pay more than maybe fifteen quid for a bluray of it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rik 18th April 2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 336449)
Didn't think it would last long at that price. I can't see how they ever hope to sell those other two at those absurd prices. I thought £24.99 was too much myself. I like Fright Night but I wouldn't pay more than maybe fifteen quid for a bluray of it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm the same, it's an OK slice of 80's Horror, but not one I'd pay a lot for on Blu Ray

Jinx_Barkman 18th April 2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 336388)
It's an unusual film, isn't it? I've always had a soft spot for Northfolk, and felt its narrative shortcomings were just about compensated for by some stunning cinematography and curiously surreal touches. Been years since I saw it last, so probably needs a reevaluation.

It just felt so artificial and I suppose that's what I felt like I detected. I'd love to talk about it more but I don't want to ruin anyone's interpretation in case they haven't seen it.

Hawkmonger 18th April 2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 336418)
I'm not sure why I didn't post this four days ago, but these are the films I watched last week.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...psdf74dba1.jpg

What did you make of The Wolfman re-telling Nos? I tend not to call it a remake as it's quite a different beast to the original. I actualy like it quite a bit.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th April 2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 336454)
What did you make of The Wolfman re-telling Nos? I tend not to call it a remake as it's quite a different beast to the original. I actualy like it quite a bit.

I don't consider it a remake either. If you pardon the pun, it's a very different beast to the one starring Lon Chaney Jr and Claude Raines. I really like the creature design and make-up and some of the bloody attacks but the pacing is really sluggish and we are once again subjected to Anthony Hopkins' wandering accent (one moment he's Welsh, another his Irish, another he is English and then sometimes has an American touch to his speech!). It could – and should – have been so much better, especially when that cast and that budget.

It was the first time I had seen it since watching it at the cinema (where I thought it was a mess) and thought it was better than my first viewing, but not by much.

Zann 18th April 2013 07:28 PM

Evil Dead (2013)

Enjoyed it, good to see less reliance on CGI and some regular make up effects for a change. Not nearly as good as the original but how could it be?

demonknight 18th April 2013 08:20 PM

Watching Plague of the Zombies now and have
Two Evil Eyes lined up for tomorrow night.