Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2023, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Personally I really liked Deadly Manor, but I've heard nothing but rubbish reviews for Death Screams, perhaps worse of all everyone has said it's just boring.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st January 2023, 09:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Personally I really liked Deadly Manor, but I've heard nothing but rubbish reviews for Death Screams, perhaps worse of all everyone has said it's just boring.
Its one of those movies that the acting you can't take seriously.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 1st January 2023, 09:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dracula. 1992.

This version of Dracula I have always enjoyed since its release 30 years go and Gary Oldman as the title character has always freaked me out with his pale skin, long hair, the make up dept for this done him justice. Watching this in 4K...felt like I was seeing this in the cinema, picture and sound quality is better than the dvd and old VHS tape.

0bc387025c7795533f9c3139ea7ce447.jpg
Old 1st January 2023, 09:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Watch Whirlpool, Symptoms or Vampyres and you'll see just how poor Deadly Manor really is.

For a film maker like Larraz it's as if he just couldn't be arsed.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 1st January 2023, 09:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Hounded

4 Burglars try to rob a Stately Home but it's all a trap as they are kidnapped and Hunted by Toffs (Lead by Samantha Bond), like it is a Fox Hunt.

This appeared on Sky Cinema Premier on New Year's Eve and this is really enjoyable with some really good tense moments along with some funny humor and lines. Another plus is that they didn't make the Burglars act like Chavs and made the Hunters so unlikeable, I wanted them to get what's coming to them.

Hungover Games

Spoof on The Hunger Games and The Hangover with some other mockeries but I thought that this is one of the better Movies of it's time. It does have some funny moments.

I'm not hungover (In case anyone is wondering) I've said it's how much I pay for a Film that determines a threshold for whether I like it. Seeing as I picked it up really cheap from CEX, it did it's job.

Would never have paid full price for it though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h.jpg (10.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg hg.jpg (14.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 1st January 2023, 09:23 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Watch Whirlpool, Symptoms or Vampyres and you'll see just how poor Deadly Manor really is.

For a film maker like Larraz it's as if he just couldn't be arsed.
I've seen those, but there is something I really like about his last few films he made with American producers, I know they're badly acted and low budget but they have something about them

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st January 2023, 09:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've seen those, but there is something I really like about his last few films he made with American producers, I know they're badly acted and low budget but they have something about them
Edge of the Axe was good, it's just Deadly Manor. It had a poor villain, poor uninspired kills, and even poorer acting.

Above all it felt sloppy. Scenes flitted between daylight and darkness a few times. Also having the kills happen off screen, well that's just crap for a slasher.It was just a mess for me.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 1st January 2023, 09:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
And with New Years Evil my annual Decemberdike horror fest comes to an end once more.
I actually missed out ten films. The drawer i keep them in to save them holds 41 Blu's but of course there's only 31 days in the month so the likes of Malignant, Spiral, Phantom of the Monastery, Pulse and Beyond the Door missing out.

That's nothing compared to the none horrors i've missed. Must be thirty of those.

Damn World Cup taking up all my evenings.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 1st January 2023, 11:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cannibal Holocaust.

One of the best cannibal films ever made that can still be shocking to watch yet the 4K release by 88 is the bollocks. Scrap the shameless release, they have got nothing on this, 88 films have done this film with ease and made the picture quality a lot sharper and presented it well. Bring on Hell Of The Living Dead and Burial Ground.

MV5BOTI1Nzg1NTcyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzQ5MDYxNTE@._V1_.jpg

Thank you Mr Deodato for this film, may you rest in peace and your memory in movies live on.
Old 2nd January 2023, 01:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Showed a mate Flux Gourmet and An Evening With Beverley Luff Linn last night. Both went down rather well.

Nightmare Cinema (2018, Various)

Portmanteau caper, along Southbound lines ...
Enjoyed this after a rather shaky start. Playing with the tropes and that can be a juggling act, but it eventually pays off. Hit and miss certainly, but that's the problem with most of these modern ones.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!