All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2023, 05:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Killer Reserved Nine Seats (1974)

An enjoyable giallo which echoes Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians in that ten people invited to a theater end up getting murdered over the course of a night.

Plots like this are no stranger to the Giallo genre, even the great Mario Bava had a stab at one for 70's Five Dolls For An August Moon, yet The Killer Reserved Nine Seats is neither derivative nor cliched.

Although the opening half hour is rather slow moving with too much talk the film settles down into a suspenseful watch. The film often strikes a claustrophobic chord with it's eerie atmosphere - the theater is practically a character in it's own right - as well as embracing lashings of sleaze, often in weirdly surreal moments such as Paola Senatore putting on a record amid the mayhem and dancing semi-naked for no real reason other than because she can.

As with the best Gialli the killer is unseen until the end but their handy work is there for all to see including the most unconvincing nailing of a hand i've ever seen. Giannetto De Rossi would not have been impressed.
Old 29th April 2023, 05:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Shape Of Things To Come. 1979.

Earth is inhabitibal probably due to a nuclear war and the moon is now a colony yet a mad man wants to destroy the moon...what the heck have I just watched. Based on H.G. Wells novel that only a couple of characters are mentioned im pretty sure the source novel was different and more entertaining. The trailer I found for this was a laugh due to some noticeable dubbing but the film isn't dubbed. What I found a bit entertaining was Jack Palance's performance as he seems to be taking the film seriously enough and then realises he is in a bad movie and tones things down a bit. Saturday afternoon caper film.

h-g-wells-the-shape-of-things-to-come-poster.jpg
Old 29th April 2023, 07:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mansion Of The living Dead. 1982.

Four friends take a vacation to a Canary Island unaware the hotel was a monastery and the monks are awakening from the dead.

I dont know if i should blame Jess Franco or the subtitles for not understanding this film in parts. Mabel Escano, Mari Carmen Nieto, Elisa Vela and Lena Romay play the vacation girls who arrive at a quiet peaceful hotel, technically that should a warning, the girls do pair up and have a bit of getting to know each other intimately and show their bodies at the beach. The make up effects for the dead are not great but not terrible either. The subtitles are in a two second time delay, but watching Lena walk about in skad clothing and nude made this more enjoyable than what it should be.

MV5BN2IwYjI2ZjktOGYxYy00MjY0LTgwYjEtOTE2NjFhMGFmY2I4L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@.jpg
Old 29th April 2023, 07:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Mansion Of The living Dead. 1982.

Four friends take a vacation to a Canary Island unaware the hotel was a monastery and the monks are awakening from the dead.

I dont know if i should blame Jess Franco or the subtitles for not understanding this film in parts. Mabel Escano, Mari Carmen Nieto, Elisa Vela and Lena Romay play the vacation girls who arrive at a quiet peaceful hotel, technically that should a warning, the girls do pair up and have a bit of getting to know each other intimately and show their bodies at the beach. The make up effects for the dead are not great but not terrible either. The subtitles are in a two second time delay, but watching Lena walk about in skad clothing and nude made this more enjoyable than what it should be.

Attachment 246009
One of my favourite Jess Franco films. A total rip off of the Knights Templar movies.
Old 29th April 2023, 09:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Life After Beth. 2014.

Dane Dehaan and Aubrey Plaza play the seemingly happy couple till she dies and then comes back as a zombie. John C. Reilly and Molly Shannon play her parents who try to hide the fact that their daughter has returned and not exactly shocked either. This was a blind watch and goes through the stages of drama, somewhat comedy and then back to the serious note of being a drama. The comedy moments are far in between and not really laugh out moments but do tend to give out a snigger or two. The acting is decent and everyone does take things seriously to make it more entertaining and worth a glance.

1610438407-2bf3872a6ac05aae17b89c626efb7fd61a847163.jpg
Old 29th April 2023, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Stone Killer (1973)

A Los Angeles detective is sent to New York where he must solve a case involving an old Sicilian Mafia family feud.

The third of six films actor Charles Bronson teamed up with director Michael Winner for. Violent and action packed this was clearly influenced by Dirty Harry from a couple of years earlier as Bronson's detective follows much the same path of shoot first ask questions later.

It's basically Bronson against the mob and won't disappoint if you want bullet strewn blood spurting shoot outs and cracking car chases.

It's seventies brutality at it's finest and ends with a cool as f*ck line from Bronson. I liked it.

There's some lovely depth to outdoor scenes in Indicator's Blu-ray. Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qd6vr1FJp0thPb4lwgoo9aVByUt (Large).jpg (62.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 29th April 2023, 10:33 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Stone Killer (1973)

A Los Angeles detective is sent to New York where he must solve a case involving an old Sicilian Mafia family feud.

The third of six films actor Charles Bronson teamed up with director Michael Winner for. Violent and action packed this was clearly influenced by Dirty Harry from a couple of years earlier as Bronson's detective follows much the same path of shoot first ask questions later.

It's basically Bronson against the mob and won't disappoint if you want bullet strewn blood spurting shoot outs and cracking car chases.

It's seventies brutality at it's finest and ends with a cool as f*ck line from Bronson. I liked it.

There's some lovely depth to outdoor scenes in Indicator's Blu-ray. Recommended.
I watched this the other night didn't get a chance to do a write up. Maybe I liked it maybe I didn't guess you will have to wait

Seriously tho I loved this as you said great action and the car chases are all brilliant and of course Bronson kicks ass the amount of people he just blows away and says oh sorry that was an accident
Old 29th April 2023, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I watched this the other night didn't get a chance to do a write up. Maybe I liked it maybe I didn't guess you will have to wait

Seriously tho I loved this as you said great action and the car chases are all brilliant and of course Bronson kicks ass the amount of people he just blows away and says oh sorry that was an accident
I laughed when the detective set the bin on fire.

It wasn't a film with many laughs though.

There's a line towards the end where Bronson says "There were 159 homicides in New York alone in the last three weeks"

I thought. Yeah. That was just you though.
Old 29th April 2023, 10:42 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I laughed when the detective set the bin on fire.

It wasn't a film with many laughs though.

There's a line towards the end where Bronson says "There were 159 homicides in New York alone in the last three weeks"

I thought. Yeah. That was just you though.
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.
Old 30th April 2023, 01:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nightworld. 2017.

A retired LAPD officer takes on a security job in a building in Bulgaria. He is shown what to do, observe the cctv in a room and report the slightest thing noticeable, the more he asks the more the answers become darker.

For a tv movie this wasn't too bad and should have been given a decent release. Jason London plays former officer now turned security officer assigned to a building of three flats, penthouse and basement. Robert Englund plays the blind man who works with the building and seems to know more and keeping the secrets. The writers and director seem to be influenced by Lucio Fulci and his gates of hell trilogy and borrow some elements from the 1977 film The Sentinel, mixed well with the dark toned gothic atmosphere of the building. Very little does happen until the last part of the film but certainly built up and acted well throughout.

MV5BMTU5OTE1NDQ0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzcyNzcxOTE@._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!