All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179686Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th July 2023, 09:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Yeah it’s no good, but that doesn’t stop you having a good time lol.
Thats very true
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 13th July 2023, 09:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The 2nd. 2020.

A estranged father who is a Army Delta Force officer goes to collect his son from college along with a supreme court judge's daughter is taken hostage.

Having Ryan Phillippe and Casper Van Dien in this seemed to be a promising film and maybe a throw back to 90s action films but instead these two actors are wasted in this. The dialogue is bearable...just, the fight scenes are barely passable and we are given a couple of scenes of shoot outs but nothing spectacular and a small sword fight with a bit of girl on girl that was just a waste of screen time. This would be better as background noise.

MV5BY2M0Yzc5ODUtMThkZS00MmZmLWIzYjItOTAxYzJjZjMzODQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 13th July 2023, 11:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Watched a few minutes of the wonderful film Brooklyn on BBC1 HD. What a stunning picture.

I'll be upgrading my dvd to Blu-ray very soon.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 14th July 2023, 11:16 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Watched a few minutes of the wonderful film Brooklyn on BBC1 HD. What a stunning picture.

I'll be upgrading my dvd to Blu-ray very soon.
I keep meaning to watch this, I'll get around to it soon, can probably watch it on the iPlayer for the next few days at least
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th July 2023, 04:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Child's Play 2 (1990)

Generic stuff that's basically a retread of the first film other than an interesting finale at the Play pals factory, but even that could have been so much more had Charles Lee Ray managed to possess all the dolls. I guess they never thought of that idea. Or never had the budget.

If i hear one more bowl haired brat cry a variant of "Chucky did it" i think i'll start throwing things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Childsplay2.jpg (24.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 14th July 2023, 05:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

CAGED HEAT – Jonathan Demme made this influential WIP film for Roger Corman. Anyone expecting an endless parade of boobs behind bars will meet with something a bit more abstract as ‘Caged Heat’ simmers with swirly seventies hippie art film vibes as much as with exploitative potboiling. There are dreamy bits and there are grim bits (forced ECT) before it finally breaks out into runaway shenanigans with cons versus cops. Very good, in part because of era-specific genre faces such as Barbara Steel.

PEARL – Starstruck farmgirl in twenties Texas heads towards the realisation that she’s better at murdering people than wowing them onstage. Much touted backstory to ‘X’ by Ti West, but probably owned by writer / star Mia Goth, whose performance is as mesmerising as reported. There are many other highs; if the hilarious ‘X-factor’ pisstake doesn't tickle your fancy, please refer to aforementioned scarecrow roistering. Highly recommended and destined for my end of year top three list (and maybe yours too).

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2: FREDDY’S REVENGE – This seems almost universally regarded as one of the most disposable ANOES films. It’s not amazing, but it’s at least entertaining (to my easily pleased eyes). It doesn’t do anything with ‘the mythos’ or Kruger and it certainly doesn’t extend Craven’s work in any interesting direction, being content to simply roll along leaving a trail of pleasant FX-laden dreck broken up by bits of dramatic stupidity and nonsense eighties set-pieces. I’m OK with that. The subtext about sexuality seems deliberate but stillborn – maybe the makers just thought “it’s got dreams in it, there’s got to be some Freudian shit going on somewhere”. Yeah well I can go on about that stuff all day but ultimately I’m more into seeing a burned undead serial killer’s face burst its way through someone’s chest. I’m a bit shallow like that.
Old 14th July 2023, 06:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

PEARL – Starstruck farmgirl in twenties Texas heads towards the realisation that she’s better at murdering people than wowing them onstage. Much touted backstory to ‘X’ by Ti West, but probably owned by writer / star Mia Goth, whose performance is as mesmerising as reported. There are many other highs; if the hilarious ‘X-factor’ pisstake doesn't tickle your fancy, please refer to aforementioned scarecrow roistering. Highly recommended and destined for my end of year top three list (and maybe yours too).

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2: FREDDY’S REVENGE – This seems almost universally regarded as one of the most disposable ANOES films. It’s not amazing, but it’s at least entertaining (to my easily pleased eyes). It doesn’t do anything with ‘the mythos’ or Kruger and it certainly doesn’t extend Craven’s work in any interesting direction, being content to simply roll along leaving a trail of pleasant FX-laden dreck broken up by bits of dramatic stupidity and nonsense eighties set-pieces. I’m OK with that. The subtext about sexuality seems deliberate but stillborn – maybe the makers just thought “it’s got dreams in it, there’s got to be some Freudian shit going on somewhere”. Yeah well I can go on about that stuff all day but ultimately I’m more into seeing a burned undead serial killer’s face burst its way through someone’s chest. I’m a bit shallow like that.
That's the second glowing review for Pearl i've seen on here. i watched and enjoyed X last Christmas so plan on seeing Pearl on Blu this Christmas.

I'm not what you'd call a fan of the Elm Street series so perhaps not the best judge but i think Freddy's Revenge is more enjoyable than the majority of the other films. Miles better than 4, 5 and 6 and also better than the third.
Old 14th July 2023, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
That's the second glowing review for Pearl i've seen on here. i watched and enjoyed X last Christmas so plan on seeing Pearl on Blu this Christmas.

I'm not what you'd call a fan of the Elm Street series so perhaps not the best judge but i think Freddy's Revenge is more enjoyable than the majority of the other films. Miles better than 4, 5 and 6 and also better than the third.
I agree with both points here, I just need to get around to watching Pearl soon.

And Freddy 2 is my favourite of the sequels, I used to think I loved the third one but on subsequent re-visits it just gets a bit more boring. I am a fan of 4 though

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th July 2023, 09:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Big Country (1958)

What a superb film this is and how it's not better known is beyond me. It's a genuinely major western and it's title is suitably epic not only due to it's breathtaking Technirama photography but it's near three hour run time.

It's brilliantly cast with Gregory Peck probably the only Hollywood star who can make pacifism seem authentic. Co-star Charlton Heston certainly couldn't have pulled it off.

Meanwhile Jerome Moross's sweeping, wonderful piece of 20th century classical score elevates the film to masterpiece status.

The Blu-ray from Final Cut is gorgeous to look at and there's a plethora of extras as well. I'll give this the review it deserves in the Westerns thread when i've watched it again next week with Christopher Frayling's commentary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big_country833.jpg (83.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 15th July 2023, 07:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Vicious Fun. 2020.

A 1980s movie critic accidentally finds himself in a self help group for serial killers and tries to survive the night and save his room mate who is dating one of the killers.

The makers obviously wanted to do a homage to 80s horror films and created this, even the actors manage to bring some cheesiness to the screen and add in some dark humour and gore. There is a decent set of actors who bring something different to their characters that can give out a snigger or two. This isn't a time waster and certainly recommend for a good night viewing.

04380ed68356fb82_thumbnail.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!