All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th February 2024, 05:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Mr Barlow watching these critically acclaimed stone cold classics and being surprised that they’re good lol
I'm not ill if you are wondering think I have missed out on watching classic movies
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 27th February 2024, 05:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Mr Barlow watching these critically acclaimed stone cold classics and being surprised that they’re good lol
Yes, i find that quite bizarre as well.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 27th February 2024, 05:26 PM
Cult Veteran

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it It's just funny haha.
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th February 2024, 05:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yes, i find that quite bizarre as well.
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it It's just funny haha.
No doubt I will find something that would end up being crap place your bets now
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 27th February 2024, 09:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Amadeus. 1984.

F. Murray Abraham plays Antonio Salleri, who after trying to commit suicide believes that he infact killed Wolfganag Amadeus Mozart and tells the story of his hatred.

You don't have to be a fan of classical music to enjoy this biography movie, the only thing to appreciate with this is director Milos Foreman's work with two great leads and a decent script to work with. This film has it all excellent acting, excellent cinematography, excellent costume design, excellent music production, excellent set design, perfect combination of comedy and tragedy, and tons and tons of classic, memorable lines, especially those delivered by Salier especially during the confessional. I have tried to watch this all the way through and finally done it and appreciate it more now than I have done.

p8489_v_h10_ak.jpg
Old 1st March 2024, 11:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Passion Of Joan Of Arc. 1928.

In 1491 Jeanne D'Arc is on trial for heresy while the judges try and force her claims that she has seen holy visions.

What could have been a lost film before it was released, the entire film reel had been destroyed and the director used film footage he had rejected and we have this film. Another silent movie era and one to certainly enjoy, the cinematography is amazing with scene after scene perfectly shot, Maria Falconetti who plays Joan has the perfect face expressions as the film goes on with the pain of the character and as the film goes on you can see the sadness overwhelm her.

A great piece of cinematic history with Carl Theodor Dreyerat the helm and able to do something with a decent script that does hold your attention right from the start to the end with a great set piece of music in the background.

8wjCmfEsUYDCaRrqZIuYAVESsbelL4_large.jpg
Old 1st March 2024, 11:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Sting. 1973.

Two grifters try and pull off the ultimate con and stay ahead of those they have wronged and the police.

Robert Redford and Robert Earl Jones are the small Chicago street hustlers who know how to play the con game with run into some problems with Robert Shaw. While dodging the law Redford turns to a big con man Paul Newman who is also dodging the law for a big time win and score.

Films set in the Chicago 30s you would think of a film-noir, this one speaks for itself, the acting is heavily styled with everyone creating their own method on how to make the character work. The set pieces are amazing as is the costumes that make it look authentic and some little bit of comedy thrown in. Despite the small comedy there is a serious undertone of police corruption, murder and revenge that somehow been spliced together makes the film more watchable and how the plan of the ultimate score will pan out. Another classic film that I have never seen will be re-watched again.

MV5BNGU3NjQ4YTMtZGJjOS00YTQ3LThmNmItMTI5MDE2ODI3NzY3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.jpg
Old 1st March 2024, 11:43 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Two great films there, MrB. The Passion of Joan of Arc is one of the masterpieces from the silent and stands up today as an incredibly powerful piece of filmmaking, one highlighted by Maria Falconetti, whose face is the canvas on which Carl Theodor Dreyer uses to showcase his directorial skills.

The Sting is a completely different film, a wonderful caper with great performances from Paul Newman, Robert Redford, and Robert Shaw. I don't think it's as accomplished as The Exorcist, the film that should have won the Best Picture Oscar that year, but it's a superbly scripted comedy/drama/thriller which uses Scott Joplin's ragtime music, particular The Entertainer, Solace, and The Easy Winners to great effect.
Old 1st March 2024, 12:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Let Sleeping Coprses Lie. 1974.

Ray Lovelock and Christina Galbo are the young hippies in England travelling to London and discover the dead are coming back to life and try and convince the local authority who seem to not listen...typical though our police never do. A mix of italian, Spanish movie that is set in England, with the setting being mostly the country, cemetery and a hospital.

It does take a bit for the movie to go but even before all that the film is shrouded in a good dark atmosphere even with a pub that has a Owl perched in it's hallway. The main leads do have chemistry on screen and helps make the film work. The zombies aren't in a great big number and are revived by some sort of radiation and how to destroy them can be a bit creative without using guns. The make-up effects for this is kinda creative and probably influenced other directors when the Zombie genre was slowly building thanks to Romero and Fulci who gave us other zombie flicks to enjoy. May not be the best zombie flick made but certainly entertains a lot on the killing of a nurse.

manchester1.jpg
Old 1st March 2024, 12:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Two great films there, MrB. The Passion of Joan of Arc is one of the masterpieces from the silent and stands up today as an incredibly powerful piece of filmmaking, one highlighted by Maria Falconetti, whose face is the canvas on which Carl Theodor Dreyer uses to showcase his directorial skills.

The Sting is a completely different film, a wonderful caper with great performances from Paul Newman, Robert Redford, and Robert Shaw. I don't think it's as accomplished as The Exorcist, the film that should have won the Best Picture Oscar that year, but it's a superbly scripted comedy/drama/thriller which uses Scott Joplin's ragtime music, particular The Entertainer, Solace, and The Easy Winners to great effect.
Silent films are something I do enjoy they are films that speak for themselves with entertainment and at the time production values, Nosferatu and L'Inferno still creep me out, Passion Of Joan Or Arc this just jumps right in to the film and that's what made it more appealing to watch.

The Sting I saw parts of it when I was young as my dad enjoyed it and I asked him about it and all he said was "just take a look at it" Redford, Newman and Shaw were a great combination of actors that made the film more enjoyable and I agree it should have won a award

Like this? Share it using the links below!