All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2011, 09:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryJack View Post
Cheers. I'll definately check them both out (bit expensive on Amazon though)
Check your local CEX (or cex.co.uk), they're only £1 each there
Old 5th June 2011, 10:40 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Check your local CEX (or cex.co.uk), they're only £1 each there
Cheers. Just ordered Cube 2.
Old 5th June 2011, 11:20 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Watched Lamberto Bava's Macabre last night. I was a little disappointed to be honest, it was good but not as good as I was expecting. Certainly prefer A Blade in the Dark and Demons.

I was going to get very angry at Arrow for their cover spoiling a big reveal but it seems that most of the posters for it seem to do the same thing so I'll let them off the hook
Old 5th June 2011, 01:46 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Just watched What Have They Done to Your Daughters. Along with Torso and Night Train Murders this is my favourite Shameless release to date I think. Really fantastic giallo/police thriller with some great tense scenes (especially the one in the parking lot). The long car chase with the killer was also utterly immense. Great soundtrack too! Are other Poliziotteschi films like this?
bdc likes this.
Old 5th June 2011, 03:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just watched John Carpenter's much maligned and badly distributed The Ward.

Perhaps I'm just an apologist fanboy, but I thought it was decent - well made, great setting, good performances, nicely paced. Like a very agreeable Shutter Island-lite.

No Halloween or Assault On Precinct 13, but then far from a Memoirs Of An Invisible Man!
Old 5th June 2011, 04:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Just watched John Carpenter's much maligned and badly distributed The Ward.

Perhaps I'm just an apologist fanboy, but I thought it was decent - well made, great setting, good performances, nicely paced. Like a very agreeable Shutter Island-lite.

No Halloween or Assault On Precinct 13, but then far from a Memoirs Of An Invisible Man!
i've heard some people say it's pants but it's had quite positive reviews,, but yeah i too am a bit a Carpenter fan boy so i may be a bit biased when i watch it..
Old 5th June 2011, 06:37 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

In contrast to the pleasant surprise of The Ward, I have just been let down by Irish folk-horror effort Wake Wood.

It's not bad per se - some elements far from it - it's just that it is an unpolished clash of its parts. Some of it is excellent and compelling, other parts amateurish and clumsy. The photography is glorious and moody one minute, then the worst kind of hand-held, sub-Dogme amateur video crap the next. Likewise the three main leads are good yet the little girl (a key part) is awful and a few supporting characters are amateur dramatics level.

I wanted to like this film as the idea and setting are splendid, but it doesn't make it. Worth seeing for the good aspects, but highly flawed as a whole. A shame.
Old 5th June 2011, 06:59 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Just watched Corman's The Viking Women and the Sea Serpent (1957).
Very low budget peplum adventure from AIP...I'd say it's instantly forgettable.
It has a certain charm though and luckily stars Susan Cabot (probably the best thing about this film).
There's some nice matte paintings and the "sea serpent" is ok I guess but expect some terrible background projection scenes when they are at sea (thank goodness most of the movie plays on land! ).
And don't get me started about the long ship used!

Last edited by bdc; 5th June 2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 5th June 2011, 07:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
In contrast to the pleasant surprise of The Ward, I have just been let down by Irish folk-horror effort Wake Wood.

It's not bad per se - some elements far from it - it's just that it is an unpolished clash of its parts. Some of it is excellent and compelling, other parts amateurish and clumsy. The photography is glorious and moody one minute, then the worst kind of hand-held, sub-Dogme amateur video crap the next. Likewise the three main leads are good yet the little girl (a key part) is awful and a few supporting characters are amateur dramatics level.

I wanted to like this film as the idea and setting are splendid, but it doesn't make it. Worth seeing for the good aspects, but highly flawed as a whole. A shame.
i think the opposite
was disappointed by ward and loved WW

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 5th June 2011, 09:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

30th anniversary of NOTLD. It was amazing......ly shit.
PaulD likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!