Money pit
Arachnophobia

Just some films to name of but he produced over 50 films

Also collaborated with other famous film directors

His list of films is endless what"s not to like about him
Old 16th June 2011, 01:24 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Well there are a number of films on that list I do not like (pretty much everything after Close Encounters... though I did like Empire Of The Sun and thought Catch Me If You Can was OK despite its flaws). With some exceptions, his films are not to my taste. That's not to say they are "bad films" (the man is clearly very talented), just that I either don't like them or think they are average entertainments that don't make much of an impression (upon me) otherwise.

He has a better track record as a producer from the 80s on, for my taste - Back To The Future, Poltergeist, Arachnophobia

Duel, Jaws and Something Evil are sublime, however. I guess I liked his youthful verve and style.

I don't like The Beatles either...

Old 16th June 2011, 01:28 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

ha ha
well Im speechless!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 16th June 2011, 01:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched the Arrow BD of BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE and the picture looks really good (although there is less grain than the BU edition). It's just a real shame it's cropped as it does effect the film and makes Argento look a bit incompetent as a filmmaker, like he's incapable of framing a shot correctly. Storaro is a total ****.

Also watched the Troma BD of POULTRYGEIST and I enjoyed it although some of songs irritated me. I'll probably never eat chicken again though For some reason I couldn't access the extras, anyone else have that problem?

Last edited by Pete; 16th June 2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 16th June 2011, 01:48 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just watched Drive Angry, great fun, violent, funny and Cage is great, amber Heard is hot and William Fitchner steals the film as the accountant....
Old 16th June 2011, 07:27 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I went to see X-Men: First Class at Cineworld on Tuesday only to find they'd cleaned the seats on Monday and they weren't dry. An hour's round trip for absolutely nothing!
Just think of how thrilling the film must be if they have to give the seats a good clean afterwards!

I watched Foxy Brown and Paul last night. The former was great, the latter not so much. A few laughs but the humour was too broad overall and they got way too much mileage out of the sweary-jokes.
Old 16th June 2011, 07:51 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
ouch
is that closest cinema?
It's the closest multiplex. There is a cinema in Darlington, but it has a crappy sound system and tiny screens in comparison. Plus I have a Unlimited card at Cineworld so I don't need to pay anything when I get there.

As for Spielberg, I also think Jaws, Duel and CE3K are the best films he's made as director (I didn't rate his War of the Worlds remake at all). However, I really liked the stuff JJ Abrams has directed, written and produced so I'm also intrigued by 8mm.
Old 16th June 2011, 10:52 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's the closest multiplex. There is a cinema in Darlington, but it has a crappy sound system and tiny screens in comparison. Plus I have a Unlimited card at Cineworld so I don't need to pay anything when I get there.

As for Spielberg, I also think Jaws, Duel and CE3K are the best films he's made as director (I didn't rate his War of the Worlds remake at all). However, I really liked the stuff JJ Abrams has directed, written and produced so I'm also intrigued by 8mm.
Ah right. Back in Bristol im like 45 min walk from Cinema De Lux which is a posh multiplex lol 13 screens plus 2 director's lounge screens which have a private bar and leather seats that recline and u can order snacks and drinks from your seat

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 16th June 2011, 10:54 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Where's the Cineworld then Nos? I wish we had one near me in Newcastle - I'd go a lot more if I had one of those unlimited cards.
Old 16th June 2011, 01:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
just watched Drive Angry, great fun, violent, funny and Cage is great, amber Heard is hot and William Fitchner steals the film as the accountant....
I've seen Amber Heard in a few films now and I think she's a shining star for the future. Great screen presence, good actor, seems to inhabit her rĂ´les. Just hope she avoids any further Pineapple Express type mistakes!

Last night I watched a couple of flicks from 2007's 8 Films To Die For:

Unearthed - mediocre monster flick that passes the time. It's rubbish, steals from the Alien films so heavily I would have thought it actionable, and a great deal of screen time is either too dark or too rapidly edited or has too jerky camera moves to actually see what on earth is going on. I would have been harsher on it, but I realised that if it had been made in the early 80s in Italy we'd all be clamouring for a Special Edition release.

Mulberry Street - thought I'd finally sit down and watch this as I was so impressed by the writer/directors' current film, Stake Land. The British DVD title (Zombie Virus On Mulberry Street) is very misleading - this is an "infected" film rather than zombies. So far as I am concerned this is a big discovery.A superb, tense, excellently made arthouse horror films that has,like, a good script, and well drawn characters and superb handheld camerawork reminiscent of Abel Ferrara's "grit not gloss" films. Written down the premise is ridiculous (a rat borne virus turns victims into flesh-eating "rat people") buit it really, really works. And works extremely well. Besides, is the idea of corpses coming to life to eat flesh/drink blood any less absurd? There is some (very) dark humour and satire here, but it lurks beneath the visceral tension. It's a fantastic film and I genuinely feel like I've made a big discovery. That so much can be done with so little money (the film-makers had to rely upon guerrilla film-making and unpaid favours from friends and family to get it made apparently) is an abject lesson to all film-makers and to the obscene high budget crap that Hollywood's bowels regularly void.

Last edited by Gojirosan; 16th June 2011 at 01:40 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!