Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

PaulD 18th August 2011 04:45 PM

The Final Destination

Even the inclusion of the definite article and 3D gimmickry can't save this from being a fairly predictable and bland 88 minutes. Due to being 3D the bit where the guy gets hit by a bus mid-sentence can be spotted a mile off due to the way it's framed and shot

The Prowler

Great 80's slasher, lovely BU BD transfer, great gory effects by Savini. Drags a little in the middle but still great fun

Piranha 3D

Kinda fun, kinda not. The ropiest cgi I've seen since every Sci-Fi channel monster movie ever but part of me really revelled in the bloody, gory nonsense. Due to being 3D the bit where the guy gets eaten by the big piranha at the end can be spotted a mile off due to the way it's framed and shot

gag 18th August 2011 04:48 PM

My other half a fan off east is east so wanted to watch the follow up west is west and we did .....If you like east is east just leave it that way and dont even think about watching west is west....Pointless dull boring not even enough laughs to chuckle for 20seconds through out all the film...

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th August 2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 174990)
Went to see RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES last night, first let me say that Andy Serkis is outstanding as the motion captured Caesar, much much better than a straight cartoon CGI effect. And the director gets a big thumbs for the finale, shot in broad(foggy) daylight(no mirky blackness here). But those are the good points, the final scenes(about 20mins) are a barn storming RISE of the apes, however the first 75/80mins damn near wreck the movie for this old school Apes fan. To go on and on about how the scientist is not really a baddie should have been sorted in 10mins, but no, we get the sick father and the love interest both taking up way to much screen time(while Caesar faffs about upstairs:lol:) And when the human baddies do appear(no spoilers) they are stereotype city. So a bit disappointed then, as this is more about the scientist and his personal problems than Caesar for 1/2 of the running time. It's just not the film I wanted to see, others will think I'm off my box and really like it, and there is a lot to like here, but this one won't be on my must buy Blu Ray list tho. But what do I know:lol:.

P.S. One of the actors has distanced himself from it already(which is a shame) but as it's going thru the roof at the box office, we'll get another shot of monkey mayhem soon enough, which can only be good thing.

Reviews in general have been excellent. - 82% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 174995)
The Final Destination

Even the inclusion of the definite article and 3D gimmickry can't save this from being a fairly predictable and bland 88 minutes. Due to being 3D the bit where the guy gets hit by a bus mid-sentence can be spotted a mile off due to the way it's framed and shot

The Prowler

Great 80's slasher, lovely BU BD transfer, great gory effects by Savini. Drags a little in the middle but still great fun

Piranha 3D

Kinda fun, kinda not. The ropiest cgi I've seen since every Sci-Fi channel monster movie ever but part of me really revelled in the bloody, gory nonsense. Due to being 3D the bit where the guy gets eaten by the big piranha at the end can be spotted a mile off due to the way it's framed and shot

:lol: Is this your catch phrase?

I thought Piranha 3d was awful, far too dark in the 3d scenes. Probably due to how it was framed and shot.

I thought FD 3D was very good , the 3d actually worked quite well, this could be due to how the scenes were framed and shot. :lol:

The Prowler is an excellent slasher film, very near the top of the class.

Mojo 18th August 2011 06:13 PM

The Baby
This is all a bit :loco:isn't it? The ending will either have your jaw hitting the floor or rolling around in fits. Or probably both. Bonkers.

Stratosphere Girl
Comic illustrator travels to Japan and becomes a bar hostess, where she gets involved with various dodgy types and ends up witnessing a murder. Or does she? Characters you care about and something a bit different here. Really enjoyed this one.

PaulD 18th August 2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 175000)
:lol: Is this your catch phrase?

Heh, an Intentional copy and paste job as a subtle dig against the predictability of modern 3D horror films. Seeing pretty much the same thing in two different films in the same day was a little bit dismal :)

Quote:

I thought Piranha 3d was awful, far too dark in the 3d scenes. Probably due to how it was framed and shot.

Royalties plz :)

nekromantik 18th August 2011 07:11 PM

While FD4 was not as good as first 2, I thought it was better then the 3rd and not that bad at all. FD5 is meant to be very good and has got good reviews.

loved piranha 3d too

Gojirosan 18th August 2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 175063)
loved piranha 3d too

Me too. Seen it three or four times now and think it's a great fun flick.

I have absolutely no time for the Final Destination franchise however, though admit I have only seen the first one. But that was more than bad enough to put me off the sequels.

PaulD 18th August 2011 09:52 PM

The thing about the Final Destination films is you think it's an original idea until you realise they've taken one small part of The Omen and based an entire franchise around it.

enterthehero 18th August 2011 10:36 PM

The final destination films aren't the greatest but I do love the inventive ways in which people get killed in them :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.609270,-0.268839

nekromantik 18th August 2011 11:24 PM

the fd movies are all about the death scenes they are not meant to be serious horror movies at all. :) I do not go in expecting something great and then I end up having a good time. They are far better then the likes of Friday and NOES remakes.

I saw an aussy flick called Uninhabited tonight.
Its about a young couple who go on a "holiday" to a deserted island in the Great Barrier Reef. Slowly things star to happen that questions if they are indeed alone on the island as they were meant to be.

I enjoyed this flick, its entertaining and a good story too. Its meant to be "based on true events" but not sure how true that is. It starts out as a "survival" type horror thriller flick and then turns into a supernatural ghost flick. Its not a conventional ghost story however and its quite original. The stunning island shots are amazing too and its quite well made, gives a pretty creepy atmosphere which I thought was very good as your on a island that looks lush and not some old house so creating that creepiness for a ghost story would be much harder.

I seen some real good aussy flicks recently, the aussys are really stepping up their game.
I would probs give it a 8/10. Some people may not like the conclusion but I thought it fitted well apart from one thing that kinda goes against the story, thats if it was not done on purpose as part of the story.