Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th October 2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 509342)
:skull:

As for flesh-eaters, my fave is probably Romero's Night of the Living Dead closely followed by Fulci's The Beyond. :zombie:

There was me thinking it was Dawn of the Dead. :skull:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th October 2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509343)
There was me thinking it was Dawn of the Dead. :skull:

:megachainsaw:

The remake may be in the mix somewhere... :skull:

Susan Foreman 25th October 2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 509342)
:skull: As for flesh-eaters, my fave is probably Romero's Night of the Living Dead closely followed by Fulci's The Beyond. :zombie:

But they aren't flesh eaters in 'The Beyond'...are they???

Do I have to hang up my blood splattered apron and leave this forum in disgrace because I don't recall them being cannibalistic. They are just walking dead people

J Harker 25th October 2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 509337)
Mine is probably the fantastic I Walked with a Zombie, which I know you share an affinity for too.

ZFE is enjoyable enough but probably wouldn't scrape my Top 10 where zombie films are concerned.

I've watched IWWAZ 4 times now. Once with commentary as recommended by Nos and Dem I think. It's a film I just can't take to yet keep going back to it hoping something might click. It has some great scenes and atmosphere but as a whole just doesn't come together for me.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th October 2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 509346)
But they aren't flesh eaters in 'The Beyond'...are they???

Do I have to hang up my blood splattered apron and leave this forum in disgrace because I don't recall them being cannibalistic. They are just walking dead people

If you look closely, I'm sure you'll at least see some ear-lobe nibbling going on in that hospital amongst all the shambling and groaning :zombie:

Cinematic Shocks 25th October 2016 11:30 AM

The Windmill Massacre (2016)

**1/2 out of *****

Demoncrat 25th October 2016 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 508986)
What? How dare you!

I'm putting you on the Adkins diet. Eat lead! :rambo:

Ha, seriously though - I really like his films. He's a great martial artist, and with the right director and script, he can be a decent actor. Undisputed 2 & 3 and Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning are belting films.

See Green Street 3 cough!! :lol:

Watched
Devil Girl From Mars (1954, David MacDonald)
Ripping stuff. Or rather, the epitome of British cinema :pound:. Neither exciting enough plot wise after the initial "burst", it comes to something when the best thing about the film is an effect. Regardless, I loves it. Ridiculously ridden with comtemporary morality, it can barely get off the ground....Network's print is easily the best I've seen it look. Which isn't saying much.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th October 2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 509372)
See Green Street 3 cough!! :lol:

Watched
Devil Girl From Mars (1954, David MacDonald)
Ripping stuff. Or rather, the epitome of British cinema :pound:. Neither exciting enough plot wise after the initial "burst", it comes to something when the best thing about the film is an effect. Regardless, I loves it. Ridiculously ridden with comtemporary morality, it can barely get off the ground....Network's print is easily the best I've seen it look. Which isn't saying much.

Is the Network print not great? The region one Image release i have is immaculate.

trebor8273 25th October 2016 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doctor Strange. 8.3/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNdM7b1Lm04

The abominable Dr. Phibes. 8.8/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxnr9xycVLo

Phibes rises again. 7.7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytb23pMWEjU

Theatre of blood. 9.3/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGcT8gFzH14

Next up.

J Harker 25th October 2016 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 509414)
Doctor Strange. 8.3/10

Any chance of some deeper thoughts on Doc Strange treb?

trebor8273 25th October 2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 509418)
Any chance of some deeper thoughts on Doc Strange treb?

Its quite different from the other marvel films slower paced than most of them. Strange is quite a unlikable and self-centered character for most of the film but anyone who knows anything of the character that's how was before he became "doctor Strange" visual its stuuning with some amazing effects when they enter the mirror world and the dark world. Shame we didn't get to see more of Mads character but he's not one of stranges main foes, both of his main ones are introduced in the film. As most won't know a lot if anything about the character the film is just really setting it up for another film. But its all very enjoyable , I might be a bit biased as Strange has always been one of my favorite superheroes. Also wait for the scene part way into the credits

J Harker 25th October 2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 509423)
Its quite different from the other marvel films slower paced than most of them. Strange is quite a unlikable and self-centered character for most of the film but anyone who knows anything of the character that's how was before he became "doctor Strange" visual its stuuning with some amazing effects when they enter the mirror world and the dark world. Shame we didn't get to see more of Mads character but he's not one of stranges main foes, both of his main ones are introduced in the film. As most won't know a lot if anything about the character the film is just really setting it up for another film. But its all very enjoyable , I might be a bit biased as Strange has always been one of my favorite superheroes. Also wait for the scene part way into the credits

Cool cheers.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th October 2016 07:45 PM

I've been to the cinema twice in the past week, the first time to see I, Daniel Blake, and then today to see Jack Reacher – Never Go Back.

Ken Loach's award-winning and critically acclaimed film deserves every bit of praise it has received, because it is a superb piece of cinema which is beautifully edited, superbly acted, cleverly written, and something which lives with you for a long, long time afterwards. I left the cinema an emotional wreck, devastated from a couple of the scenes and furious at the political policies which are highlighted in the film and led to its creation. It isn't an easy watch, but is one which is thoroughly rewarding and should be compulsory watching for everyone at the DWP and government in general.

The new Jack Reacher Film isn't as good as the first one with a third act that is too long, but Tom Cruise (who produced the movie) is again very good in the role with some moments which made me smile at just how effortlessly Reacher deals with the most extreme situations. Although it is an inferior sequel, it was just what I wanted it to be, more or less what I expected, and I would happily watch a third instalment.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th October 2016 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 509431)
The new Jack Reacher Film isn't as good as the first one with a third act that is too long, but Tom Cruise (who produced the movie) is never drink again very good in the role with some moments which made me smile at just how effortlessly Reacher deals with the most extreme situations. Although it is an inferior sequel, it was just what I wanted it to be, more or less what I expected, and I would happily watch a third instalment.

You're getting cryptic. What has drinking got to do with it. Did you see it with Harker or something?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th October 2016 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509435)
You're getting cryptic. What has drinking got to do with it. Did you see it with Harker or something?

My bad for not proofreading before clicking 'submit'! As I'm currently enjoying a glass of whisky and ginger ale, I probably said something about my current beverage and didn't realise it was transcribed onto the screen!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th October 2016 08:27 PM

Let this be a lesson to you kids out there: don't drink and dictate.

J Harker 25th October 2016 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 509439)
My bad for not proofreading before clicking 'submit'! As I'm currently enjoying a glass of whisky and ginger ale, I probably said something about my current beverage and didn't realise it was transcribed onto the screen!

Whisky and ginger ale?!? What the bloody hell you playing at man!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th October 2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 509439)

:skull::skull::skull:

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 509441)

:skull::skull::skull:

trebor8273 25th October 2016 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Frighteners. 9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmQxM32PWRM

Now watching.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th October 2016 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 509441)

It was only Johnnie Walker Red Label, a whisky that is not my preferred choice to drink neat.

It was my first experience of drinking whisky with dry ginger, and I liked it so much it is a good way of having a refreshing drink, getting a good alcohol buzz, and not feel as if I'm drinking an alcopop! It's probably something I'll do it again on a warm day with a cheap whisky, a chilled bottle of dry ginger and some ice cubes.

J Harker 25th October 2016 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 509454)
It was only Johnnie Walker Red Label, a whisky that is not my preferred choice to drink neat.

It was my first experience of drinking whisky with dry ginger, and I liked it so much it is a good way of having a refreshing drink, getting a good alcohol buzz, and not feel as if I'm drinking an alcopop! It's probably something I'll do it again on a warm day with a cheap whisky, a chilled bottle of dry ginger and some ice cubes.

I do like dark rum with ginger ale.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th October 2016 10:34 PM

Quote:

Despite laughing earlier i agree with you that it makes a nice long summer drink that gives you a buzz.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th October 2016 06:27 AM

Quote:

I also enjoy whisky with ginger as long as the whisky in question is right for it.

You should try Whisky Mac, Nos. It's a drink I copiously enjoy around the festive period. You can either mix it yourself or buy it ready bottled. ALDI do a nice one.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th October 2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509458)
Despite laughing earlier i agree with you that it makes a nice long summer drink that gives you a buzz.

I only bought the dry ginger because I was in Sainsbury's looking for something else and saw it on the way out. I realised I should have put the bottle in the fridge rather than the pantry to make the drink cooler. It is probably a good way of drinking a whisky I have bought and don't like enough to drink straight, or one which is cheap but pleasant enough to drink with ginger or Coke.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 509468)
I also enjoy whisky with ginger as long as the whisky in question is right for it.

You should try Whisky Mac, Nos. It's a drink I copiously enjoy around the festive period. You can either mix it yourself or buy it ready bottled. ALDI do a nice one.

Sounds good, so I'll bear that in mind and have a look the next time I'm in Aldi.

trebor8273 26th October 2016 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fright night 8.7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ISgM9sjza8

Near Dark. 8.7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiYSirEHS5E

Ghostbusters 9.5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vntAEVjPBzQ

Up next

keirarts 26th October 2016 09:19 PM

The greasy strangler

Seemingly inspired (in part at least) by the Dada inspired ethos of Troma, Greasy stangler is a genuinely messed up abstract slice of schlock that seems deliberately intent on approaching its audience with fingernails scratching down a blackboard while flinging the occasional ripe ball of shit at its audience to inspire a sort of antagonistic divide between audience and film. Somehow though it works, just dont ask me how. The characters feel like deliberate grotesques, the soundtrack mixes electronica with the most annoying sound in the world ever. The screen is occasionally blanked out by one of the characters massive dick and the film seems to poke at various nasty ideas of disgust at the basic functions of the human body like a child poking a corpse with a stick. Its fruitless to really try and discuss frivolities like plot or character development when the film really does not seem to view these things as being anyway important or at least as secondary to mixing up a sensation of absolute disgust and horror and making it funny as hell. I personally loved every minute.

Demoncrat 27th October 2016 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509374)
Is the Network print not great? The region one Image release i have is immaculate.

Was going with the "you cant polish a turd" here cough. It has some slight marks throughout it, which is nitpicking really considering.

Night Of Terror (1986)
If Andy Milligan and John Waters had a baby, and it grew up to direct Days Of Our Lives....it couldn't be much worse than this. Practically unwatchable, due to terrible transfer (VHS??) and the shocking colour scheme within the film. Recommended!!

Frankenhooker 27th October 2016 07:35 PM

I watched the Indicator Blu of Body Double last night. The film is still gloriously trashy and the quality is great. Really interested in the rest of their output now.

Cinematic Shocks 27th October 2016 07:38 PM

All Through the House (2015)

*** out of *****

Squirm (1976)

***1/2 out of *****

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)

*** out of *****

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th October 2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 509615)
All Through the House (2015)

*** out of *****

[/CENTER]

This looks quite interesting.

Couldn't you have waited a few weeks. You'd be more in the Christmas mood.

trebor8273 27th October 2016 08:10 PM

Waxwork. 8/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD-SL1FfMqU

In the mouth of madness. 9.1/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PFcOeM_Usk

Waxwork 2. 8.4/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ScyCnTFpbY

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th October 2016 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
May (2002)

Lucky McKee's directorial debut and one he has never bettered as of yet. May is a psychological horror film about a young woman who had a difficult childhood and very few social interactions. May's only true friend is a doll in a glass case given to her by her mother. She works at the animal hospital assisting with surgeries and her only possible friend is receptionist and colleague Polly who flirts with her. May soon strikes up a relationship with a guy who apparently likes 'weird' and May is certainly weird....

I'm going to stop there or i'll have written the entire plot outline.

May is an excellent horror film. A standout performance from Angela Bettis is at the centre of the film as she sweeps all before her with her quirky looks and mannerisms. Although Anna Faris, someone who seems more bonkers than May, is great as Polly too and could easily have stolen the film had Bettis given a lesser performance.

As the film goes on we become emotionally involved with May, or at least i did. It's quite a tragic film at times and must resonate with a lot of lonely souls. Other scenes will have you squirming yet unable to take your eyes away from the screen, especially the blind children scrabbling about in the glass. Bettis goes from timid mouse to terrifyingly sexy Goth chic (Am i the only one who found killing spree May in her claret dress extremely erotic? - Perhaps it's best not to answer that one) as the film explodes in a brutal orgy of violence and a final act that i won't spoil here.

Cinematic Shocks 27th October 2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509616)
Couldn't you have waited a few weeks. You'd be more in the Christmas mood.

Yeah I know but the director got in touch with me about reviewing it. It was actually released earlier this month.

I was expecting the worst but it's surprisingly pretty good. This weird, sleazy and explicitly nasty retro crimbo slasher entertained me. Top draw shlock.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th October 2016 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 509638)
Yeah I know but the director got in touch with me about reviewing it. It was actually released earlier this month.

I was expecting the worst but it's surprisingly pretty good. This weird, sleazy and explicitly nasty retro crimbo slasher entertained me. Top draw shlock.

It's not out until November 21st on disc in the UK.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th October 2016 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509629)
May (2002)

I also watched May this evening, the first time I have seen it in five years (almost to the day, in fact). I was surprised at how much I had forgotten, especially at just how violent the film is, with some of it catching me completely off guard. It is a wonderful film and, like you, I don't think Lucky McKee has made a better film.

Last night, I watched Ouija which, being a Platinum Dunes production, has all the subtlety of a brick. If it was in different hands, say produced by Guillermo del Toro and directed by one of his Spanish friends like Guillem Morales or Juan Antonio Bayona, would have probably relied much more on a growing sense of dread and tension than the cheap jump scares which released the suspense rather than allowing it to permeate and leave you unnerved for a long time afterwards.

It isn't a bad film, just a good story which could have come in different hands, could have been much, much better.

MacBlayne 27th October 2016 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 509646)
Last night, I watched Ouija which, being a Platinum Dunes production, has all the subtlety of a brick. If it was in different hands, say produced by Guillermo del Toro and directed by one of his Spanish friends like Guillem Morales or Juan Antonio Bayona, would have probably relied much more on a growing sense of dread and tension than the cheap jump scares which released the suspense rather than allowing it to permeate and leave you unnerved for a long time afterwards.

It isn't a bad film, just a good story which could have come in different hands, could have been much, much better.

I thought it was dreadful. Badly acted. Poor direction. No creepy or scary moments. And, it suffered from a lousy script -
SPOILER:
Did you know that the Lin Shaye stuff was filmed after test screenings? Whatever little story the film had revolved around her character and they only figured that out after filming. Aye-yai-yai!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th October 2016 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 509648)
I thought it was dreadful. Badly acted. Poor direction. No creepy or scary moments. And, it suffered from a lousy script -
SPOILER:
Did you know that the Lin Shaye stuff was filmed after test screenings? Whatever little story the film had revolved around her character and they only figured that out after filming. Aye-yai-yai!

I didn't know about the thing you mentioned in the spoiler, but it doesn't surprise me. I'm not as hard on the film as you, but that's probably because I had very low expectations!

Cinematic Shocks 28th October 2016 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509642)
It's not out until November 21st on disc in the UK.

It's available on VOD now. Maybe only in the US though. I have a screener.

Rik 28th October 2016 11:04 AM

We watched Ouija last night too, because we're thinking about checking out the prequel this weekend. I'm adding it to the same shit list as The Babadook, It Follows and the more recent Lights Out, dreadful!
The only reason I gave it 2 stars on Letterboxd is because of Lin Shaye, who I'm a fan of.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th October 2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 509669)
We watched Ouija last night too, because we're thinking about checking out the prequel this weekend. I'm adding it to the same shit list as The Babadook, It Follows and the more recent Lights Out, dreadful!
The only reason I gave it 2 stars on Letterboxd is because of Lin Shaye, who I'm a fan of.

As you know, I think The Babadook is a great film and really rate It Follows. Both engage me and create an unnerving atmosphere (which lingers long after the end credits of finish) of which Ouija's makers could only dream.