Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st December 2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 304348)
THE DEVIL'S CHAIR - From the director of 'Broken'. I veered between liking it and finding it really irritating. A man at the centre of a killing in an abandoned mental hospital is released from a forensic unit by a psychologist who wants to take him back to the scene of the crime. Here, we find that whoever sits in 'The Devil's Chair' slips into another dimension where a fly-blown reaper demon chases and murders them. OK, I liked the demonic stuff, but, beyond the first ten minutes, the build up was protracted and dull. The central character's narration I found annoying, apart from the bit where he seemed to flip out and launch into a frenzied diatribe against horror fans! That was good, as was the descent into violent sadism at the end, which followed a bunch of ridiculous 'or are they...' type 'twists' and reality breakdowns. Some plus points, so worth a watch for the curious, I guess. It's confusing, but that doesn't make it 'Videodrome'.

I quite like Adam Mason's films, he seems to attempt something a little different to the norm. I thought Broken
was excellent. After its gruesome and gory opening it really settled down into a completely different film.

The Devil's Chair is as you say flawed in places but also attempts to take us out of our horror comfort zone.

fuzzymctiger 21st December 2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 304399)
Fassbender was the bad of a bad bunch, for sure. He was operating on another level to the rest of the cast. But he was still a bit "ROBOT MORE HUMAN THAN HUMANS!!! OMGZors!!". It was a performance from the Big Book Of SciFi Tropes.

I had no expectations. I kind of hoped Ridley Scott would find the form he hasn't shown since 1992, but that was about it.

I didn't like it because it was boring, overlong, the plot was badly developed and stretched very thin, the acting was mostly rubbish, the idea was utterly stupid, it was hollow and empty...it was just a very bad film. I felt like I wasted a lot of time sitting through it.

Other than a few pretty looking scenes it had no redeeming qualities at all.

I felt almost the exact opposite. I found it fascinating, gripping, exciting, very well written and planned out in connection to the first movie, sure some of the acting was ordinary, but some of the original films acting wasn't great either, as were some of the character decision. I found the idea great, and over all, a fantastic return to the franchise after *shudder* Alien Ressurection

Gojirosan 21st December 2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 304408)
I felt almost the exact opposite. I found it fascinating, gripping, exciting, very well written and planned out in connection to the first movie, sure some of the acting was ordinary, but some of the original films acting wasn't great either, as were some of the character decision. I found the idea great, and over all, a fantastic return to the franchise after *shudder* Alien Ressurection

I genuinely prefer Alien Resurrection and AvP to Prometheus.

fuzzymctiger 21st December 2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 304410)
I genuinely prefer Alien Resurrection and AvP to Prometheus.

I prefer it to AVP definantly, nothing can worse than that pile of crap, but I thought Prometheus was fantastic!

But I always get in disputes over sequels, like arguing how good Terminator Salvation is, arguing against people who say Back to the Future 2 is the best, people who bag the 4th and 5th NOES, but love the 2nd... :crazy:

Gojirosan 21st December 2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 304412)
I prefer it to AVP definantly, nothing can worse than that pile of crap, but I thought Prometheus was fantastic!

But I always get in disputes over sequels, like arguing how good Terminator Salvation is, arguing against people who say Back to the Future 2 is the best, people who bag the 4th and 5th NOES, but love the 2nd... :crazy:

:lol:

I think AvP is the best of the three I mentioned! It's a good fun film, and I was expecting to hate it. I've seen it about 3 times now. I will probably never watch Resurrection or Prometheus again.

Anyway...

I have never heard of this Adam Mason cat before. I am intrigued. What flicks of his should I check out? Dem? Frankie?

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st December 2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 304416)

I think AvP is the best of the three I mentioned! It's a good fun film, and I was expecting to hate it. I've seen it about 3 times now. I will probably never watch Resurrection or Prometheus again.

Anyway...

I have never heard of this Adam Mason cat before. I am intrigued. What flicks of his should I check out? Dem? Frankie?

Broken or The Devil's Chair can both be picked up pretty cheap from Marketplace sellers.

Dust is also pretty good, I haven't seen Blood River yet but i would avoid The Thirteenth Sign as Mason populates it with wierd colours everywhere.

Now i come to look all his films are cheap from Amazon sellers so you won't waste too much should you hate them.

Gojirosan 21st December 2012 01:03 PM

Cheers, squire. :)

Frankie Teardrop 21st December 2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Anyway...

I'd definitely vouch for 'Broken'. It's fairly gruelling and mean-spirited and feels like quite a black-hearted experience (which in my book is usually of interest).

As for 'The Devil's Chair', well, there are elements of interesting weirdness sandwiched between more tedious and / or irritating aspects. But it's worth a go, I almost liked it.

I haven't seen any of his other flicks, but I think he did one called 'Pig' which sounds like it might be quite full-on. Defer to Dem regards the rest, which I'm tempted to get hold of.

sawyer6 21st December 2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

"And Here We Go" - Joker - YouTube

Gojirosan 21st December 2012 01:12 PM

I shall put Broken on the wish list for the New Year. Cheers gents.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st December 2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 304424)
I'd definitely vouch for 'Broken'. It's fairly gruelling and mean-spirited and feels like quite a black-hearted experience (which in my book is usually of interest).

As for 'The Devil's Chair', well, there are elements of interesting weirdness sandwiched between more tedious and / or irritating aspects. But it's worth a go, I almost liked it.

Agreed on both points. Broken is certainly my preferred choice regarding Mason's work.

Gojirosan 21st December 2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 304426)
I shall put Broken on the wish list for the New Year. Cheers gents.

By which I mean I shall buy Broken and The Devil's Chair right now even though I haven't bought any Xmas presents for any of my family yet...

:rolleyes::doh:

keirarts 21st December 2012 05:50 PM

doesent DEVILS CHAIR have matt berry in it? I keep meaning to watch it just for that.

it'smebilly 21st December 2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 304366)
Planes, Trains & Automobiles-3 favourites I should mention with regards to this classic comedy from the 80's, my favourite John Hughes film, my favourite Steve Martin film, and my favourite John Candy film.
For those unfamiliar with the story, it's about Neal Page (Martin) who is trying to get back to Chicago from New York in time for Thanksgiving but has no end of trouble once he meets up wil Del Griffiths (Candy) and as the title suggests has to travel by plane, train, bus and car to get home.
Cue plenty of hilarious scenes, such as the car rental F-word rant, the exploding car etc. Highly recommended for fans of 80's comedy

A fantastic film and one of my favourites also. I had the pleasure of seeing it on the big screen just this last month. Hilarious for the most part but I think Candy could have been a very good straight actor as well, his final scenes make me cry like a baby every time lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Frankie Teardrop 21st December 2012 10:04 PM

CHOOSE - Pretty good thriller which takes aim from a kind of post-'Saw' angle. It mostly succeeds on its own terms, being well made and in places very atmospheric despite a sense of 'same old' kicking in around the halfway point. If it weighs in on the detective drama side of things at times, at least it carries a sinister and uncomfortable undertow beyond its derivative mid-way sag. Basically, a killer is doing the rounds and forcing some pretty heavy existential moves on his victims. The latter share connections to a juvenile facility where a disturbing and potentially abusive psychological 'therapy' rolled out. Will the sassy heroine uncover some dark truths about her own past? Not earth shattering, but certainly worth a watch.

THE WOMAN IN BLACK - Sinister pasts also haunt this turn of the century ghost story. It's well imagined, and builds a really strong atmosphere partly through the constant layering of decrepit period detail, although it falls down on the too obviously rendered jumps. Aside from the attempts at jump-scare which feature later in the film, there are some really disturbing scenes, not least the opener. Despite its setting, I thought it owed a lot to more contemporary Japanese supernatural horror. Good performances and production ensure this will linger in the memory for years to come.

RED TO KILL - Bonkers HK sleaze of really questionable taste. A social worker lands a job at a centre for learning disabled adolescents. There's a rapist "sex lupine" on the prowl in the same building. A schizophrenic concoction which veers moment to moment from tasteless schlock to cloying sentimentality to offensively misjudged humour to excruciating intensity. These variations in tone are partially levelled by the slick early nineties production, which in itself adds another level of bizarreness to the proceedings, with its stylised lighting and rock video cum 'Taboo' advert moments. The English subtitles are another matter. They're so strange they almost contain another film within themselves - "So, I've cut off your cock to go to make soup - this is the result!" A cod-Situationist back in the sixties would have a field day projecting these onto a blank screen with no visuals, which would be more entertaining than watching a screaming idiot girl slash her pubis with a razor in the aftermath of a brutal rape. Maybe a bad taste classic, although I waver at the 'classic' bit. Do I actually like watching this stuff? Apparently, yes.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st December 2012 10:14 PM

I also liked Choose. If you read the back cover it sounds to be a different film from what you get on the screen. Certainly worth a watch.

JoshuaKaitlyn 21st December 2012 10:49 PM

Iron Man 2 (2010) "I am Iron Man" Tony Stark's statement at the end of Iron Man not only brought him more celebrity status but also brought the Iron Man suit to the attention of the US Governement and the military who want the suit in order to manufacture more. Meanwhile in Russia, Ivan Vanko, the son of one of Howard Starks past partners creates a weapon based on arc technology to destroy Stark. Failing in his attempt he then joins with Justin Hammer a rival manufacturer of arms, and helps create a series of drones and uses a modified Iron Man suit to attack Stark at the Stark Expo. Even containing War Machine, Wiplash, Black Widow and Nick Fury, Iron Man 2 is not as good as the first movie, and tries to cram a lot into the two hours running time. The S.H.I.E.L.D organisation take on a bigger role in this movie in preparation for the forthcoming Avengers movie and although there is yet one more movie before we get to that one I think a S.H.I.E.L.D movie made first wouldn't have been such a bad idea.

mr 420 21st December 2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 304318)
We have an entire forum dedicated to Prisoner:Cardboard Set H and threads about all kinds of crap, so I don't the problem with a bit of friendly sport chit chat :)

Now, now, Rik. Don't diss the 'H! :)

Jinx_Barkman 21st December 2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 304369)
Watched Prometheus the other night and thought it was fantastic! BD quality was fantastic (wish I had seen it on the Big Screen now) I have read mixed reviews about this and conversations about people being confused? All I can say is stick with the X-factor then if your confused by an intellectual plot, good acting, great effects and thought provoking ideas. Immediately after watching this I thought I could of sat and watched it again. Great film with some great gore moments. Anybody else pleasantly suprised by this or dissapointed?

You really missed out on seeing this one in cinemas. I am not very fond of 3D cinematography but the photography is very well constructed here. I don't really think the experience can be replicated with a 3D tv either. I enjoyed the film itself, it wasn't perfect but highly enjoyable and I look forward to revisiting it again.

Nordicdusk 22nd December 2012 01:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 94281

Attachment 94282

Attachment 94283

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd December 2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 304583)
I also liked Choose. If you read the back cover it sounds to be a different film from what you get on the screen. Certainly worth a watch.

I recorded it from Sky Movies a few weeks ago and also thought it was pretty good and much less reliant on gore than it could have been. As you said, certainly worth a watch.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd December 2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 303870)
Looking forward to reading it, Nos :thumb:

I finished writing the review a couple of days ago but have just uploaded it onto the site.

Berberian Sound Studio | Blu-ray review | Film 365

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd December 2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 304694)
I finished writing the review a couple of days ago but have just uploaded it onto the site.

Berberian Sound Studio | Blu-ray review | Film 365

Great review, Nos. Very much looking forward to checking this one out.

Gojirosan 22nd December 2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 304366)
Planes, Trains & Automobiles-3 favourites I should mention with regards to this classic comedy from the 80's, my favourite John Hughes film, my favourite Steve Martin film, and my favourite John Candy film.
For those unfamiliar with the story, it's about Neal Page (Martin) who is trying to get back to Chicago from New York in time for Thanksgiving but has no end of trouble once he meets up wil Del Griffiths (Candy) and as the title suggests has to travel by plane, train, bus and car to get home.
Cue plenty of hilarious scenes, such as the car rental F-word rant, the exploding car etc. Highly recommended for fans of 80's comedy

I am a big fan and admirer of John Hughes.

Never watched this one though.

I just can't bring myself to sit through any film with Steve Martin in it, no matter who made it.

Steve Martin = the Will Ferrell of the 70s and 80s

Rik 22nd December 2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 304709)

I wouldn't say he's as bad myself, only 2 films I can watch with Will Ferrell are Elf and Step Brothers but I like most of Steve Martin's films.

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd December 2012 12:51 PM

That's very harsh indeed. I could watch Steve Martin in anything. The only things I can watch Ferrell in, are Anchorman and Elf, maybe even Step Brothers. No way would I compare him to Martin.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd December 2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 304709)

Whilst he's nowhere near as bad as Will Ferrell, I can kind of see your point.

Gojirosan 22nd December 2012 12:55 PM

They both look sinister and creepy and not at all like comedians. They have an undercurrent of repulsive snugness to everything they do. They aren't funny but they have a modicum of acting talent...

...I am not sure they aren't the same person!

Very VERY similar performers in my eyes.

Can't stand either of them.

JoshuaKaitlyn 22nd December 2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 304721)
They both look sinister and creepy and not at all like comedians. They have an undercurrent of repulsive snugness to everything they do. They aren't funny but they have a modicum of acting talent...

...I am not sure they aren't the same person!

Very VERY similar performers in my eyes.

Can't stand either of them.

Not a big fan of either of them either but given the choice I'd have to go with Martin! Ferrell just tries to hard!

mercury 22nd December 2012 06:07 PM

Bourne Legacy......Good film, but not in the same league as the previous three.

Gosh....just got a mental block and can't remember what other films I have watched recently. Might have to take a break from films for a while........well a day or so;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd December 2012 08:32 PM

Recent viewings:

http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg

demonknight 22nd December 2012 08:37 PM

Watched a Hammer movie today called The Witches.
Pretty good.

PaulD 22nd December 2012 08:39 PM

More excellent eclectic viewing b_e! Reminds me that I need to update this thread and Letterboxd with my recent viewings.

Frankie Teardrop 22nd December 2012 08:54 PM

What did you think about 'The Sweet Movie', Bizarre Eye? I've actually never seen it, although know its reputation. Hope it rubbed up well against 'It's a Wonderful Life'!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd December 2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 304906)
What did you think about 'The Sweet Movie', Bizarre Eye? I've actually never seen it, although know its reputation. Hope it rubbed up well against 'It's a Wonderful Life'!

It's certainly a strange one... there were parts that I thought were genius, and which I really enjoyed, and other (much fewer) parts that bugged me a bit (the 'meal' towards the end for instance). It's definitely a film that's difficult to rate and review, although I gave it an 8/10.

Nordicdusk 22nd December 2012 09:14 PM

Whats we need to talk about Kevin like.

fuzzymctiger 22nd December 2012 10:36 PM

Watched Ban The Sadist Videos Part 1 last night, and .... :shocked:

Jesus, what a political debacle!! It was an absolute mess!! Government taking outside pressures into account, ignoring studies which prove their studies wrong, and then you've got that guy who says they're harmful to dogs!!

Surely adults shouldn't have to suffer, because some people weren't keeping a close enough eye on their kids, and the video shop owners weren't doing any enforcing (But then again, there were no ratings to enforce.)

Almost reminds me of earlier this year in Australia, Human Centipede 2 came out uncut, and some feminist group were up in arms about it, also while not having actually seen it, and put so much pressure that the rating board turns around and bans it!! Seems ridiculous to me.

Slippery Jack 22nd December 2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 304913)
Whats we need to talk about Kevin like.

Bloody fantastic in my opinion . . .

irish 22nd December 2012 11:17 PM

The Dark knight rises.
9/10
Yes, a high mark. Excellent acting, particularly from Tom Hardy as Bane, and Michael Caine back as Alfred.
But constant exposure to Asian movies and dramas made me long for something with more of an emotional connection.
I also thought it was overlong.
Still, for what it is, highly recommonded.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd December 2012 11:24 PM

What did you make of Bad Moon Bizarre_eye?

I'd never heard of it when i picked it up as part of a Warners horror 4pack, but i loved it. A tremendous film under the radar of most folks.