Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179902Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2011, 03:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Wow, some hate for poor ol' Flavia.

I actually quite liked it. It's really interesting to have a strong female character depicted in that time. I suppose there are the obvious Joan of Arc comparisons, but I think the story progresses in a really intriguing way and Florinda Bolkan proves yet again that she can absolutely nail the 'troubled, but powerful woman' role.

There's some really striking imagery and of course there are the obvious nods to Ken Russell's The Devils particularly the beginning when everyone's going mental because of the cult of the tarantula (I loved the ****ed up abstract minstrel music - it worked really well with the nutty visuals).

I think if people are expecting a straight up nunsploitation flick, then this isn't really the ticket, there's a lot more to it; more the fact that this feels as close as you can get to a feminist film from a country in a decade that had more obvious misogynistic tendencies in their (exploitation) cinema.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 2nd October 2011, 06:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

finally got around to seeing Insidious today and man was that film creepy, the first 45 minutes were some of the most pant wettingly creepy scenes i have seen in a long time, then the film becomes an 80s poltergeist style movie with a pinch of Elm street thrown in. That's not a bad thing. really enjoyed it and they actually used fog, i can't remember the last time a film used a fog machine....
Rassilon likes this.

Last edited by pedromonkey; 2nd October 2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 2nd October 2011, 06:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Saw quite a few yesterday:

Doctor Who Creature from the Pit Episode 1 - Too early to judge; this one has a bit of a bad rep, but I like it so far.
I watched Creature From The Pit earlier in the year.

I watch the stories one episode a week as they were originally transmitted.

I thought the first two episodes were excellent. Myra Frances as Adrasta was a well thought out villain, who had a great, flirty chemistry with Tom Baker.

Unfortunately the story does get a bit lost after the creature is introduced and the bondage wearing Adrasta has less screen time.

As you say though it does not deserve the reputation it has gained over the years, there are many worse Doctor Who stories.
Old 2nd October 2011, 06:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

AMERICAN GANGSTER Ridley Scott's take on the first African American gangster to out do the Mafia by going to the source and buying heroin direct from the source, Denzil is simply magnificent as Lucas, totally believable with Crowe as the honest cop who brings him down. Also sheds light on the overwhelming corruption in NYC in the 70s. Lucas was able to offer heroin of much higher quality at less than half the normal street price, any more would be spoilers. Worth watching for the brief scenes of Washington and Crowe together.
Old 2nd October 2011, 06:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I watched Creature From The Pit earlier in the year.

I watch the stories one episode a week as they were originally transmitted.

As you say though it does not deserve the reputation it has gained over the years, there are many worse Doctor Who stories.
I sometimes try that strategy as well, but it's usually thwarted depending on the quality of the story: take the War Games and Inferno, they're so brilliant that I just simply could not wait another week; I had to watch them in one go. Then there are a few stories which are so terrible that it's better to get it out of the way - I'm looking at you, Warriors of the Deep There are the ones where once a week is dead easy and feels right - Warrior's Gate and The Sea Devils spring to mind (they are very good stories).

I agree that there are worse stories indeed - as well as WOTD, Power of Kroll can also take a bow
Old 2nd October 2011, 07:21 PM
Cultist

Just watched "Tucker and Dale vs evil". Great fun and at times absolutely hillarious. The two hillbillies are brilliant. Well worth a watch.
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:05 PM
Cultist

Watched Dog Soldiers, really enjoyed this movie!
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscreams View Post
Watched Dog Soldiers, really enjoyed this movie!
Agreed, a brit werewolf flick that I borrowed from a mate with a couple of others on VHS years ago, in fact the new HAMMER could learn a bit from this little gem.
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I sometimes try that strategy as well, but it's usually thwarted depending on the quality of the story: take the War Games and Inferno, they're so brilliant that I just simply could not wait another week; I had to watch them in one go. Then there are a few stories which are so terrible that it's better to get it out of the way - I'm looking at you, Warriors of the Deep There are the ones where once a week is dead easy and feels right - Warrior's Gate and The Sea Devils spring to mind (they are very good stories).

I agree that there are worse stories indeed - as well as WOTD, Power of Kroll can also take a bow
Remember watching Power of Kroll when it first aired - i loved it, scared the hell out of me - i was seven. Unfortunately time hasn't helped it. One of those stories that would be good now in the shows 45 minute format.

I have a soft spot for Warriors of the Deep. - I was so thrilled to be watching the Silurians and Sea Devils for the first time. I try and block the Myrka and Ingrid Pitt out of my mind. It was better than the recent 11th Doctor Silurian story though.
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen undocumented, its a new shakey cam and normal cam hybrid flick.
story is these college students want to film a group of mexicans trying to cross the US border illegally. they get caught and the people that catch em want the college students to film what goes on. then all hell breaks loose.
I really enjoyed this was good.
8/10

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!