All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2010, 04:18 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Nope PS3 is not multi-region for DVDs or Blurays.
No one has hacked it yet.

You read the Girl Next Door book? You should if you aint, one of the best books I ever read. its quite a tough read too. Emotional ending too.
The movie was good, I bought the US DVD when it was first released. I knew they would not show everything from the book as they would get into trouble
They show just enough to disturb you.
The thing is I went on some forums and some claim that although it's not meant to work, they have been able to get them to work. I think it depends on what PS3 you have. I need to check mine to find out for sure!

I haven't read the book but I definitely will soon, will have to look out for it. Cheapest I could find a copy was ebay for £8.15.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 6th July 2010, 11:29 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Doomsday: totally unoriginal, totally enjoyable.

My Bloody Valentine 3D: reasonable enough, if a bit pointless, remake. Better than most remakes. Well made. The 3D was the best I have ever seen in the home.

Lifeforce (again!): great film. Every time I see it I like it more and think it is long overdue rediscovery and re-evaluation.

3-Iron: riveting, eccentric Korean drama. Absolutely superb.

The Woods: excellently made, superbly performed and genuinely eerie film that impressed me greatly.

Last edited by Gojirosan; 6th July 2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 7th July 2010, 12:31 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post

The Woods: excellently made, superbly performed and genuinely eerie film that impressed me greatly.
agreed! the woods is a great film and nice to see campbell as usual...
Old 7th July 2010, 05:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Blood: The Last Vampire
Oh dear! CGI blood splater overkill, terrible acting and overblown action sequences that insist on those damned slow motion bits thrown in at every oportunity. Pretty much everything I find annoying about non Asian action films these days. In fact I found this quite difficult to get right through to the end. Give me the Anime version of this any time.

Them!
This classic American sci-fi came out the same year as "Godzilla" and also deals with monsterous creations caused by attomic bomb testing. The creatures here are giant ants that end up nesting in the sewers of Los Angeles. Yes, this is a giant bug film. Not just any giant bug film though. For me this is the best of the bunch with some great atmosphere, especially before we get to see the mutations, and some quirky characters. I personally found the ending quite sad too.

Django
This is yet another spaghetti western that takes its inspiration from the Japanes classic "Yojimbo". Relentlessly downbeat and extremely violent, this has one hell of a body count. I haven't seen that many spaghetti westerns outside of those directed by Sergio Leone but if this is a prime example then I'm keen to see more.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 7th July 2010, 11:58 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

been having a bit of a harryhausen fest in my house...
watched

Earth Vs The Flying Saucers
20 Million Miles To Earth
It Came From Beneath The Sea
Clash Of The Titans (original)

also watched

Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief
and SIMPSONS SEASON 6,7, 8, 9, 10 + 11
Old 7th July 2010, 12:23 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post
Blood: The Last Vampire
Oh dear! CGI blood splater overkill, terrible acting and overblown action sequences that insist on those damned slow motion bits thrown in at every oportunity. Pretty much everything I find annoying about non Asian action films these days. In fact I found this quite difficult to get right through to the end. Give me the Anime version of this any time.

Them!
This classic American sci-fi came out the same year as "Godzilla" and also deals with monsterous creations caused by attomic bomb testing. The creatures here are giant ants that end up nesting in the sewers of Los Angeles. Yes, this is a giant bug film. Not just any giant bug film though. For me this is the best of the bunch with some great atmosphere, especially before we get to see the mutations, and some quirky characters. I personally found the ending quite sad too.

Django
This is yet another spaghetti western that takes its inspiration from the Japanes classic "Yojimbo". Relentlessly downbeat and extremely violent, this has one hell of a body count. I haven't seen that many spaghetti westerns outside of those directed by Sergio Leone but if this is a prime example then I'm keen to see more.
I was surprised at how impressive the effects for the giant ants were. I was expecting something a lot less realistic.

I recently watched Phantasm II which was quite a good attempt at a sequel/extension of the first movie.
Old 8th July 2010, 11:42 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

bit of an odd one last night, i started with The Mummy Tomb of the Dragon Emporer then as the night progressed i found less and less on the television so i started looking through what had been sky+'d and found Calamity Jane, so i watched that, went to bed and put Starman on, didn't watch it all as it was 3am so gonna watch the rest tonight....
Old 8th July 2010, 11:58 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

At the moment I'm on a bit of a Luis Buñuel binge so watched Diary of a Chambermaid, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, That Obscure Object of Desire and Belle de Jour over the past couple of days which are all brilliant movies that work on so many levels.

I have also watched Martin, which is so brilliant after numerous watches over the past few weeks, and Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny and Girly which is just a terrific movie by Freddie Francis with a great performance at its centre by Vanessa Howard.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

My Name is Nobody - Superb! Great performance from Fonda, gorgeous cinematography, and a marvellous Morricone score.

Sartana in the Valley of Death - Dull spaghetti western. DVD was missing over 15 mins of footage!

Murder Obsession - Dissapointing.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 8th July 2010, 12:08 PM
Cultist

I watched Phantasm III and IV last night. Coscarelli sure does like his explosions while people run towards the camera. The Tall Man is such a fantastically creepy character. I think it's the hair that does it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!