Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179739Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th December 2011, 09:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched storm warning on blu ray i enjoyed the film but the pic quality would have been piss poor for a dvd let alone bluray, extremely grainy and fuzzy..Avoid on bluray at all cost..
Old 15th December 2011, 10:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

SLAUGHTER HIGH
Very nice release Arrow Video!!!
Old 15th December 2011, 10:33 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

"Captain America:The First Avenger". Pretty good, if a little saggy in the middle. In the cynical times we live in, there is something really subversive about this and other recent Avenger related films, in the way the heroes are, well, heroes rather than anti-heroes.
Old 15th December 2011, 11:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Ah yes - the acting of the folks in the lift was fine and the two security guards were great, my only problem was with the lead cop dude, who I never bought as going through an emotional hayride. Unfortunately I think a lot of the film was rested on his shoulders to ill effect.

Should have been clearer in my other post.
Main problem with DEVIL. The latino security guard throwing the toast in the air and pointing out that because it landed butter side down THE DEVIL MUST BE NEARBY! the director seemed desperate to make this scene seem profound when honestly it was f%&*$g stupid. Otherwise I enjoyed devil, that scen just bugged me.
damek likes this.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:35 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just finished watching KILL LIST, this film annoyed the bejesus out of me, it was really really good hitman drama that shifts in tone to a weird ass wicker man style horror film that completely ****ed up the film. God damn it.
Old 16th December 2011, 09:09 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
just finished watching KILL LIST, this film annoyed the bejesus out of me, it was really really good hitman drama that shifts in tone to a weird ass wicker man style horror film that completely ****ed up the film. God damn it.
It was hardly a shift in tone. There was weird ass stuff going on all the way through! Looking forward to the BD . . .
Phurious likes this.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Main problem with DEVIL. The latino security guard throwing the toast in the air and pointing out that because it landed butter side down THE DEVIL MUST BE NEARBY! the director seemed desperate to make this scene seem profound when honestly it was f%&*$g stupid. Otherwise I enjoyed devil, that scen just bugged me.
Oh yeah - that was funny!
Old 16th December 2011, 12:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Gremlins 2

Still as fun as I remember, which was a relief! The puppetry on display here, particularly Gizmo, is pretty incredible - so much more impressive (and charming, and physical...) than a bunch of CGI pixels. Watching it now, I didn't realise just how little plot this film has - great swathes of the second half is basically puppet sketch show, with all the human characters reduced to bit parts (though John Glover does some good stuff).
Phurious likes this.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:34 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Do you know...I am not sure I have ever seen Gremlins 2!

But speaking of sequels, I watched Porkys II:The Next Day and found it far better than I remembered.
Old 16th December 2011, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Voice Over

Another great BFI Flipside release with an extremely impressive central performance from Ian McNeice as Fats Bannerman, who writes and performs a one man radio show about high society in Edwardian times. Unfortunately Fats's personal life is becoming increasingly turbulent and the arrival of a mysterious mute girl sends fat's over the edge and into a downward spiral of depression and psychological torment.
It's certainly one of the bleakest films that I've seen in a long while, but this is no bad thing in my book and it's a big recommend from me.

The Stendahl Syndrome

Oh dear, oh dear. What was Argento thinking when he cast Asia in the lead role? Probably one of the worst casting examples that I've ever seen. Poor Asia simply can't shoulder the role convincingly and this isn't the only thing that lets the film down.
Shoddy and unnecessary CGI effects (pills down the gullet) are also a personal bugbear for me, although I do appreciate what Argento was hoping for with pictorial transitions.
Two more issues were the fact that the audience knew who the killer was from the outset (a problem that I had with the much more fun and deftly directed Stagefright), which I suppose helps to line up the 'twist' at the end of the film. But what an absolute sham that is in itself. I've never come across a more obvious twist, it's such a let down.

I've still got Sleepless to watch yet, but I'm not holding my breath. And I'm also going to try and give The Card Player another go, but it's almost impossible to think that the director who made Tenebre, The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, etc. could offer up such a lacklustre and deflated film like The Stendahl Syndrome - it's like Peter Greenaway doing an episode of Emmerdale.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage

Like this? Share it using the links below!