All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180581Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2012, 10:41 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
It really doesn't stand up alongside Dagon. The greatest Lovecraft film ever.

It is enjoyable enough though and a fun watch, it just doesn't compare to Dagon.
"Dagon" is shite and has as much to do with Lovecraft as my arse.
"The Call of Cthulhlu" is the Lovecraft film to watch.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 16th February 2012, 10:59 PM
Ex-member

[QUOTE=Make Them Die Slowly;217396]"Dagon" is shite and has as much to do with Lovecraft as my arse.
"
DAGON is one of Stuart Gordon's best fims, underrated
and I know its based on Lovecraft's novella SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH
very good adaptation
Old 16th February 2012, 11:09 PM
Cult Master

Just watch Hostel 2 for the first time i enjoyed it up until the penis part no sleep again tonight so.
Old 17th February 2012, 06:01 AM
Cult Addict

[QUOTE=James Morton;217398]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
"
DAGON is one of Stuart Gordon's best fims, underrated
and I know its based on Lovecraft's novella SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH
very good adaptation
Other than having Deep Ones in it "Dagon" is nothing like "Shadow" or Lovecraft's "Dagon". What Gordon misses out on is the sense of dread and cosmic horror instead filling his films with sex and gore which would have Lovecraft spinning in his grave.
Old 17th February 2012, 06:14 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Other than having Deep Ones in it "Dagon" is nothing like "Shadow" or Lovecraft's "Dagon". What Gordon misses out on is the sense of dread and cosmic horror instead filling his films with sex and gore which would have Lovecraft spinning in his grave.
I kind of see where you coming from, but to me there is some level of cosmic horror, but it is implied rather than spelled out. There is the feeling that this is Ground Zero for Dagon's assault on the world, a brooding tension, a dark cloud ready to spread.

Lovecraft would certainly have disliked the nudity and gore, but then I see no reason for any any film adaptation to remain absolutely true to its source. The best versions of Dracula are sod all like the book!

My one caveat to this is the dreadful film version of Constantine - they can sod off casting Keanu Reeves as a character meant to be a blond Scouser! However, had Constantine itself been any good, I might have been perfectly willing to overlook the changes to the caharacter!

I like Dagon a lot, as a film and as a Lovecraft film. I also like The Call Of Cthulhu a lot, but mostly as a Lovecraft film. Its attention to detail and respect for the source sometimes seems a little too academic, but, I don't mind that so much.
Old 17th February 2012, 06:28 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Blade Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Ah, but which version?
'Blade Runner' is one of those films that I have tried to like, but failed

I saw the 'original' version the first time it was on television, and it bored me senseless. It seems that everyone I knew was telling me that it was a good film, so when the 'directors cut' was released, I decided to give it another go, but this time on the big screen at the cinema. Again, I was bored to tears, but people still told me it was the greatest film ever made, so I put my reaction down to "not being in the proper mood"

When the DVD box set was released, I got a copy of it, and watched all five versions of the film, but nothing happened to change my opinion of the movie

Visually, it is incredibly impressive, but the story and execution leave me cold

Oh - I know that I am alone in my thoughts about this film, because enough people have said it is a masterpiece, and the greatest movie ever made!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th February 2012, 06:36 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Oh - I know that I am alone in my thoughts about this film, because enough people have said it is a masterpiece, and the greatest movie ever made!
Nope, I'm with you. I admire the film greatly, but find it a chore to get through. I wouldn't say I disliked it, but I have never enjoyed it - in any version. Harrison Ford doesn't help, as I can't stand him or his limited acting skills and lacking charisma. Rutger Hauer is so good in it that the scenes they share seem unbalanced to me.

Whilst I can "see" it's a good film, I can't get excited about it. I find this a lot with Ridley Scott, to be honest. Only Alien and Thelma And Louise have ever grabbed me totally.
Old 17th February 2012, 10:05 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Beneath Still Waters - I can imagine the artificial appearance of this film and its dream-like atmosphere alienating some viewers and making them dislike this Brian Yuzna film, but it was exactly those things that made it for me. It has a similar Lovecraftian sense of apocalyptic insanity to Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness, though is less polished, presumably for budgetary reasons.

It's not a superb film, but I did like it and I can see myself getting the Blu-ray of it and watching it again in HD. It also feels oddly like a companion piece to the Fantastic Factory's other water horror Dagon.

I would recommend it if you have a taste for such illogical, oneiric horror.
As I do have a taste for illogical, oneiric horror films, Beneath Still Waters sounds really interesting and something I should definitely check out.
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 17th February 2012, 10:52 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A few pics for it here Nos.

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/170408-post1464.html
Old 17th February 2012, 10:53 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
"The Call of Cthulhlu" is the Lovecraft film to watch.
So your arse is a load of cosmic bollocks and too terrible to be described is it?

Like this? Share it using the links below!