Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179855Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cat-women Of The Moon & Devil Girl From Mars. Double bill, as mate had seen neither. An enjoyable 2 hours (ish), Sonny Tufts excelling in his impression of a animated plank in CWOTM, and the incredible "britishness" of the cast in DGFM. Science be damned, I'm off to watch Invasion, if I can find it in me tape mountain.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Last Possession
Old 22nd August 2012, 02:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Cat-women Of The Moon & Devil Girl From Mars. Double bill, as mate had seen neither. An enjoyable 2 hours (ish), Sonny Tufts excelling in his impression of a animated plank in CWOTM, and the incredible "britishness" of the cast in DGFM. Science be damned, I'm off to watch Invasion, if I can find it in me tape mountain.
Devil Girl From Mars is great fun.

I have the Image R1 disc. Chani the robot is something else. A fine cast to boot - Patricia Laffan, Hazel Court and Adrienne Corri.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd August 2012, 02:57 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
Watched the AWE DVD of Keoma earlier. A great little spaghetti western starring Franco Nero as an indian half-breed.

One thing that does let the film down though is the rather annoying soundtrack. The female vocalist is just shocking.
Almost as bad as Stefania Stella in Al Festa's hilarious Fatal Frames.
i enjoyed FATAL FRAMES as a fun giallo
but that so called actress and singer - wife of the director, despite her big tits, her face makes her look like a transexual
Old 22nd August 2012, 04:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

To Kill A Stranger

While I wait for Alucadra and Mansions of Madness to turn up, thought I'd check out the only other Moctezuma film available on lovefilm. I really enjoyed it! Kind of like a parallel universe version of Psycho, if Marion had killed Norman in self defence and hidden the body

In the first half Donald Pleasence is on top creepy form, and in the second Aldo Ray is endearing as the nosy cop trying to crack the case. Only problem is the horrible murky transfer on the dvd - couldn't make out what was going on in some scenes! Hope there's a better option out there, I'd definitely buy it . . .
Old 22nd August 2012, 05:03 PM
Cult Addict

walkingtall.jpg

This turned up today so I watched the first film.

Comes in a nifty little slimline amray with slipcase, the films are over 2 blu-rays and theres not a whole lot in the way of extras save a documentary.

The transfer on the first film looks fantastic, very natural with great colours. The film of course is legendary and still holds up today. Its certainly better than the remake with the rock. Not seen 2 or 3 so I don't know how Bo Svenson will compare to the excellent Joe don baker but i'm looking forward to them!
bdc and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 22nd August 2012, 06:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Pool (2000)

Upon graduation a group of students continue their celebrations at an all night party at the local pool. Unbeknown to them a masked killer is out for blood.

A third viewing for this modern slasher. The Pool is a German production with an international cast including James McAvoy and Isla Fisher and filmed in Prague.

Whilst never up there with the best it is a fun watch. There are plenty of on screen kills but they aren't that gorey. Admittedly some of them work well this way. The director seems heavily influenced by the original Scream movies and tries to play his film on that line.

The pool itself is a magnificent indoor affair which is actually open to the public and is not just your typical public swimming baths, as a setting its certainly a high point in the movie.

Despite it being a teen movie none of the characters are particularly stupid and performances are generally good.

All in all a decent watch for slasher fans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pool.jpg (53.8 KB, 1 views)
bdc likes this.
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:36 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Pituitary Hunter aka Brain Theft (1982/1990?)

Closest thing to a HK giallo I've come across since Corpse Mania.
I wouldn't really compare them though since PH obviously had a much smaller budget and definitely eyes more trashy (but fun).

Someone's stealing the brains from the corpses in the hospital morgue and soon after even the brains of the living are being hunted...

Sleaze,weirdness and some solid stalk sequences make this one oddly compelling but be warned that the ending is a real (intentional) tearjerker.

Old 22nd August 2012, 08:12 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Pituitary Hunter aka Brain Theft (1982/1990?)

Closest thing to a HK giallo I've come across since Corpse Mania.
I wouldn't really compare them though since PH obviously had a much smaller budget and definitely eyes more trashy (but fun).

Someone's stealing the brains from the corpses in the hospital morgue and soon after even the brains of the living are being hunted...

Sleaze,weirdness and some solid stalk sequences make this one oddly compelling but be warned that the ending is a real (intentional) tearjerker.

Sounds just like my 'cup of tea'.
bdc likes this.
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:01 AM
Cult Addict

Expendables 2.

The cinematic equivelant of Lenny from of mice and men, big and dumb but very likeable. By the end the cheese is running down the screen like some explosion in an edam factory but I could care less. The film runs a little over 2hrs, felt like it was 30 minutes and I left with a big grin on my face.

Also had the cinema to myself, so got to slouch about and laugh without worrying about irritating anyone else.

Like this? Share it using the links below!