Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st August 2012, 09:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Got about half an hour into Phantasm 2 last night before I had to turn it off due to the annoying triple narration, I don't mind one narrator but 3 was doing my head in.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 31st August 2012, 11:19 AM
Cult Veteran

So I got around to Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood. In my opinion it was the worst one so far! The deaths were exciting, especially the yellow sleeping bag whacked against the tree, and Kane Hodder is definitely a menacing Jason, but the story was pants even by the usual standards - Telekinetic girl resurrects Jason rather than her dead father, then the dead father comes out of the lake only to drag Jason back in?!? And Dr. Cruz... what was all that about haha.

Also, why is it Camp Crystal Lake again, I thought they changed the name in part 6...

So, still 3 more to go and I might also watch Freddy Vs Jason and the remake, but not entirely sure yet though
Old 31st August 2012, 02:25 PM
Ex-member

FLIGHTPLAN
seen it before but its a good thriller with Jodie Foster trying to find her missing her daughter on board a plane, but of course no one believes her
O LUCKY MAN
Lindsay Anderson's 70's Brit satire on the establishment, Malcolm McDowell is good as Mick Travis now out of prison after IF...and determined to make it big
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 31st August 2012, 06:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Unhinged (1982)

I'm sure when the DPP added this to their infamous list they did so without actually viewing the movie. It is of course a very slow moving affair with only a miniscule amount of blood and guts, most of the running time is taken up with conversation. The final kill following the surprising twist finale is done off screen with only blood splatter actually shown and none of the other kills would frighten Gianetto Di Rossi in the slightest.

The film is really a little gothic pot boiler rather than a gore classic and fits in with films like Girly rather than the more famous titles of the early eighties, seen in that light, it isn't a bad little film and worth a watch. Just don't expect too much.

Graduation Day (1981)

A fun slasher film that unfortunately doesn't really have a lot of slash. A couple of kills aside it isn't very bloody but remains fairly interesting.

The plot is nicely paced and characters reasonably brought to life. Killing off the main star in Christopher George, with twenty minutes remaining was a nice touch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg u.jpg (36.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg graduation%20day.jpg (91.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 31st August 2012, 06:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

CRADLE WILL FALL - AKA 'Baby Blues'. Surprisingly harsh watch for a Poundland lucky dip. Based, very loosly, on Andrea Yates, this well made low budgeter follows a young mother's descent into fatal brood-bashing and sustains a convincingly harrowing tone throughout. OK, it's not a nuanced portrait of post-partum psychosis, and, with its stylised lighting, 'the voices are calling you...' type sound fx and cat & mouse slash by numbers climax, it plays too many genre moves to get even close its subject matter. But it doesn't flinch either, and several sequences are just really difficult to watch. So, a definite success at the level of stripped down exploitation with a grim attitude, whereas the answer to the question 'Who can kill a child?' is located in a far more tragic reality to the one occupied by this film.
Old 31st August 2012, 06:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
CRADLE WILL FALL - AKA 'Baby Blues'. Surprisingly harsh watch for a Poundland lucky dip. Based, very loosly, on Andrea Yates, this well made low budgeter follows a young mother's descent into fatal brood-bashing and sustains a convincingly harrowing tone throughout. OK, it's not a nuanced portrait of post-partum psychosis, and, with its stylised lighting, 'the voices are calling you...' type sound fx and cat & mouse slash by numbers climax, it plays too many genre moves to get even close its subject matter. But it doesn't flinch either, and several sequences are just really difficult to watch. So, a definite success at the level of stripped down exploitation with a grim attitude, whereas the answer to the question 'Who can kill a child?' is located in a far more tragic reality to the one occupied by this film.
I liked Cradle will Fall.

Once it got going which didn't take long it was relentless. Some of the scenes on the porch were pretty harrowing as you say.

A great pick up for £1
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 31st August 2012, 06:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Unhinged (1982)

I'm sure when the DPP added this to their infamous list they did so without actually viewing the movie. It is of course a very slow moving affair with only a miniscule amount of blood and guts, most of the running time is taken up with conversation. The final kill following the surprising twist finale is done off screen with only blood splatter actually shown and none of the other kills would frighten Gianetto Di Rossi in the slightest.

The film is really a little gothic pot boiler rather than a gore classic and fits in with films like Girly rather than the more famous titles of the early eighties, seen in that light, it isn't a bad little film and worth a watch. Just don't expect too much.

Graduation Day (1981)

A fun slasher film that unfortunately doesn't really have a lot of slash. A couple of kills aside it isn't very bloody but remains fairly interesting.

The plot is nicely paced and characters reasonably brought to life. Killing off the main star in Christopher George, with twenty minutes remaining was a nice touch.
I really quite like 'Unhinged'. Don't you think there's something quite weird about the atmosphere in places?
I can't explain why at all, but it made me think of 'House of the Devil' at points. A totally different film... but one with an odd sense of 'presence' about it.
bdc and Make Them Die Slowly like this.
Old 31st August 2012, 06:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Prime Cut
Excellent performances from Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman in this early 70s cult thriller ( also starring a pre-Carrie Sissy Spacek ), culminating in that wonderful combine harvester chase sequence! Great stuff.

Old 31st August 2012, 07:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I really quite like 'Unhinged'. Don't you think there's something quite weird about the atmosphere in places?
I can't explain why at all, but it made me think of 'House of the Devil' at points. A totally different film... but one with an odd sense of 'presence' about it.
Yeah it has a certain atmosphere to it.

House of the Devil has that feel to it, If i remember rightly Axe was a little simillar.

Definitely more gothic horror than "video nasty"*

*copyright Pete.
Old 31st August 2012, 07:51 PM
Cult Addict

WAR OF THE DEAD. Messy fun as the Nazis turn Russian troops into superhuman soldiers, zombies to you and I. This is pretty gun ho from the start and never really lets up on the action front as hordes of zombies get wasted by 3 soldiers. The plot is an absolute mess with loads of ideas hinted at or randomly thrown into the mix never to be explored or mentioned again.

OUTPOST II. Bigger, louder and more action packed than the first film but full of plot holes and endless conversions explaining the back story to the film. Still, the zombie Nazis look cool. I preferred the first film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!