Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2012, 09:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
Safe - Essentially imagine Death Wish 4: The Crackdown but with a maths prodigy in place of drugs and Statham chucking many a crony through tables galore.
Thought you were talking about the Todd Haynes / Julianne Moore film for a second there . . .
Old 10th September 2012, 09:47 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

THE DEVIL'S BUSINESS.

A zero budget British tale of hit men and Satanism, sounds like "Kill List" but it is in fact worlds away from the aptly named Wheatleys' film. Set in 3 rooms and a garage, this dialogue heavy, character driven tale is a Faustian treat. There aren't many films, horror or other wise, that have a 10 minute monologue within the opening 20 minutes of a 70 minute film. Doom prevails through the film, heightened by Justin Greaves of Crippled Black Phoenix's excellent minimum drone of a soundtrack. Not for every one, but highly recommended.
Old 10th September 2012, 09:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
THE DEVIL'S BUSINESS.
Just this second added it to my rental list. Lovefilm had it buried way down on page 5 of this weeks new releases . . .
Old 10th September 2012, 09:53 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Psychosis (2010)

Depressingly predictable British horror thriller about an American author who moves into a mansion in the country with her new husband. Its not long before strange events begin to unfold leaving the woman doubting her sanity.

The only thing that kept me watching this formulaic movie was its star, Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia in Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer) she has miles more acting talent than the rest of the cast, all British unfortunately. One actor who could have been fun was Justin Hawkins from The Darkness, playing, you guessed it, a rock star. Unfortunately his dull uninspired role is too brief even though he pops up throughout the film.

Films like Psychosis rely on their twists in particular the ending. Most of the time i never see them coming until they stamp on my toes and slap me about the cheeks. With Psychosis even i was able to completely guess the ending from around the twenty five minute mark.

The film has some bloody moments and the odd sex scene, none of which are particularly likely to keep you interested as the movie meanders towards its inevitable conclusion.

Its my own fault for watching the film though, i was warned. The dvd sleeve is full of celebratory remarks from Gorezone magazine, who are to reviewing what Alan Jones is to secrecy.
unfortunately i saw this shit on the horror channel
never again
Old 10th September 2012, 09:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Just this second added it to my rental list. Lovefilm had it buried way down on page 5 of this weeks new releases . . .
I really enjoyed it, it's more like a play than a film and the best impulse buy I've had in an age.
Old 11th September 2012, 03:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I enjoyed this at Frightfest last year, structurally very similar to Waiting for Godot and from a genre standpoint owes a lot to the work of Dennis Wheatley. If you can live wih the lack of action then this is a well acted and well written, as mentioned before you could see this being played very effectively on the stage. It was compared with Ben Wheatleys Kill List (who was in the Frightfest screening) but while both films touch on similar themes they are tonally quite different. Quite brilliant and I have been waiting to see it once again all year. Hopefully Play will get a hurry on and ship this to me in time for the weekend!
Old 11th September 2012, 07:04 AM
Cult Addict

Watched RUMBLEFISH, a great movie and looks astonishing on blu-ray. Was going to watch all the extras but for some reason I got the sudden urge to watch DEMONS on blu-ray!
Old 11th September 2012, 09:13 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
She played the initially vapid and self-obsessed teenage girl very well, and also managed to handle the transition and development of her character during her time as part of the regular Angel cast.
She did that extremely well, but I thought Aiyson Hannigan did it better, with Willow turning from a nerdy bookworm to an all-powerful witch!
Old 11th September 2012, 10:28 AM
Cult Acolyte

Watched Alligator and Q The Winged Serpent, both excellent!
I've had the Anchor Bay UK dvds for years and hadn't watched either of them.The last time I watched both was as part of the BBC's old Moviedrome season.
Old 11th September 2012, 12:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
She did that extremely well, but I thought Aiyson Hannigan did it better, with Willow turning from a nerdy bookworm to an all-powerful witch!
I agree with you, but then I would say that Aiyson Hannigan is a much better actress. And if she isn't one of the most adorable women I've ever laid eyes on as well, I'll stand shooting!

Like this? Share it using the links below!