All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2012, 01:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
That should be fun,at least if you watch the original theatrical versions...
True but I am going for the versions on bluray with all rubbish additions just because it's in HD. I'm not *too* bothered really although would prefer to watch the unaltered versions in HD. I do have the original theatrical versions on dvd but they're from the non-anamorphic laserdiscs which is a shame.
Old 7th October 2012, 02:01 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

They even replaced the Ewok celebration song at the end of Return of the Jedi...

g053584398 and PaulD like this.
Old 7th October 2012, 02:03 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
A slow evening, only watched the one film. The simple but well executed (pun intended) Yield to the Night starring the wonderful Diana Dors.
Hope you weren't watching Strictly Come Dancing young lady! I can never see Diana Dors now without thinking of that cameo in Deep End - 'Georgie Best, say it, bloody say it, George Best.......'
Old 7th October 2012, 02:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
They even replaced the Ewok song at the end of Return of the Jedi...
I think the most grievous change is the new song in Jabba's palace at the start of Return of the Jedi which they added to the Special Edition in 1997. It's beyond awful. The cgi-ed blinking eyelids of the Ewoks on the bluray is also creepy and this is totally laughable too:

http://www.youtu.be/27RVJJfny4I?t=17s

I don't think Lucas owes anyone anything as Star Wars is his baby but I do think he should make available respectable versions of the unaltered originals of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi purely out of respect for those films' directors. It's sad that Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand are no longer around and there's no decent commercially available release of the films that they directed
bdc likes this.
Old 7th October 2012, 02:10 PM
Active Cultist

I joined the throng watching the Werckmeister Harmonies - my first Bela Tarr movie. Well, the first 10 minutes is sublime - I checked it out on youtube and bought the dvd instantly - I bet anyone here would do the same, its incredible. The rest of the movie only occasionally reached those heights for me, but it was a hypnotic, singular experience to be sure. Not sure I've the stamina for 7.5 hours of those extended shots right enough - the first 10 mins of Santantango is a (very) slow pan round a muddy farmyard. Can anyone verify if this one repays the lost day it would take to watch it?
Frankie Teardrop and sawyer6 like this.
Old 7th October 2012, 02:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I can live with the alterations he made back in 1997 since they were versions that got me into the series. However, on BD the added 'Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo' when Vader kills the emperor almost put off the series completely. What were they thinking? It completely ruined what was once a great scene.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 7th October 2012, 02:17 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I can live with the alterations he made back in 1997 since they were versions that got me into the series. However, on BD the added 'Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo' when Vader kills the emperor nearly put off the series altogether. It completely ruined what was a great scene.
Totally. And it's done to mirror the scene at the end of Episode III when Darth Vader is created and breaks free as he finds out about his wife's death as he shouts "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!". A scene that was routinely mocked for being so over the top and ridiculous to the point of actually inspiring an internet meme.
Old 7th October 2012, 04:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film Very informative. Found a few films that I have yet to see and some I had never heard of.
Old 7th October 2012, 04:29 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film Very informative. Found a few films that I have yet to see and some I had never heard of.
presumed you saw it on the horror channel?
got it anyway as an extra dvd on my LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT sp ed
Old 7th October 2012, 05:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Hope you weren't watching Strictly Come Dancing young lady! I can never see Diana Dors now without thinking of that cameo in Deep End - 'Georgie Best, say it, bloody say it, George Best.......'
Do I come across as the type? Not really into the celebrity reality show although if I was it would be the one on ice as it's slightly more dangerous. Anyway, no, just baking and watching Reno 911! and moaning about still feeling ill.

Like this? Share it using the links below!