Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2012, 10:50 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by it'smebilly View Post
I love Jay Chattaway's score and the overall sleaziness of the film. I'm waiting for the BU BD to arrive as well.

I also rate it higher than most slasher's mainly due to Spinnells performance, the subway scene is really well done, with the tension ratcheted to the max but I think the ending left a lot to be desired, one of the only downsides.

Sent from my Galaxy S 2 using Tapatalk 2
The subway scene, and the nurses acting in it were really good, the kind of thing you expect in a modern horror movie or an A Grade thriller.

While the ending left me a bit confused, I quite liked the mystery of it.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 9th November 2012, 10:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Kai San flees to South Africa which had a long history of racism I guess.
Well, I was kind of thinking that, but it all seems too laboured to be a simple comment about apartheid, and yet apparently irrelevant to the plot of a movie about someone who goes around murdering and raping people in order to infect them with disease. Unless 'Ebola Syndrome' is way, way more sophisticated than I originally thought. Maybe a case of hidden depths lost in translation (yeah right).
Old 9th November 2012, 10:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Maniac (1980) - Amazing, absolutely amazing. Sleazey as hell, even more than New York Ripper IMO...
Yep, I love Maniac - it gives hope to losers everywhere that a guy like Frank could get with a girl like Caroline Munroe
Demoncrat and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
BEYOND THE DARKNESS - I've lost count of the number of times I've seen this over the years, and I'm always pleasantly surprised to find its sleazy essence undiminished by the passing of time...
I must go back and revisit this film after your fine appraisal Frankie, I was cold on the film myself when I first saw it...
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:05 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I must go back and revisit this film after your fine appraisal Frankie, I was cold on the film myself when I first saw it...
Oh, for me it's definitely up there in any Italo-horror top ten. There are slight stretches of drag, but I think it really works atmospherically. It's just so... slimy.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Oh, for me it's definitely up there in any Italo-horror top ten. There are slight stretches of drag, but I think it really works atmospherically. It's just so... slimy.
And made with real corpses so the legend goes. I always loved the alternative and enigmatic title Blue Holocaust...
Old 9th November 2012, 11:08 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Yep, I love Maniac - it gives hope to losers everywhere that a guy like Frank could get with a girl like Caroline Munroe
I was reading a review that called the relationship "not completely unbelievable".
Yet the whole time i was thinking, "Why is she just deciding to go out with the fat creepy guy in the park who followed here home!"
Wes likes this.

Old 9th November 2012, 11:09 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Say anyone here got the blu-ray of this? I think its a Shriek Show.

Also, i think this ones still banned in Australia. I think its because of Necrophilia.

Old 9th November 2012, 11:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
And made with real corpses so the legend goes. I always loved the alternative and enigmatic title Blue Holocaust...
Yes, I've heard that particular legend. Looks like Joe had a trip to his local butcher's before he shot the human taxidermy scene - apart from this standard moment of HG Lewis real offal, can't find much evidence of any clandestine morgue visitations.
Yeah, I prefer 'Blue Holocaust', but I guess it remains a title in search of a film...
Wes likes this.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I haven't posted for a while and have mainly forgotten what I have watched apart from two things yesterday, stuff I've had from Lovefilm and the one DVD I remember sticking on.

The Handmaid's Tale (1990) - because I couldn't be bothered to read the book, a nice film if you haven't read the book but I suspect the book is better.

Love On The Dole (1941) - great film, think pre kitchen sink realism, kitchen sink realism.

Repulsion (1965) - Great film but not my favourite Polanski. If I was considering the "Apartment Trilogy" The Tenant would be number 1 for me with this second.

The Killer Inside Me (2010) I wasn't sure what to expect but this was a fantastic film, certainly worth seeing.

Rivals (2000) - Made for TV true movie about a teenage girl getting caught up in a volatile relationship. Interesting story, acting is fine (although I usually prefer badly acted made for TV movies), on reflection it was really good.

Creepshow (1982) - I've seen it a million times but couldn't resist recording it as it was on a HD channel.

Beetlejuice (1988) - see above. I love Tim Burton but not really after Sleepy Hollow. I did like Sweeney Todd - A woman started discussing the film in Smiths as I was talking to my Grandad about it, she said there was more music in it than she expected, I said it was adapted from the Sondheim musical, she said there was still too much music. Anyway, I do also want to see Dark Shadows, has anyone seen it? if so, how did you like it? and have you ever watched the TV show?

The Night Child (1975) - I'm sure a lot of members will have watched this recently, fantastic film, I already want to watch it again.
bdc, PaulD, Demoncrat and 1 others like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!