Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179678Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2012, 09:57 AM
Cult Acolyte

Maniac (1980) - Amazing, absolutely amazing. Sleazey as hell, even more than New York Ripper IMO, but I personally don't look at it as a horror or a slasher. Spinell's amazing performance makes it like a compelling psychological drama or thriller. It leaves so much to mystery, with conclusions needing to be pieced together from Dialouge, like the fact that Franks mother was an abusive prostitute. Attention to detail was quite impressive too, as one only needs to looks at the things in a Franks apartment, like art and other items, including a piece of art on his door consisting of women's faces, with the eyes and mouths cut out. The BU blu ray has been on my want list for a while, but now its rocketed to the top.

Also the soundtrack was great, as was Savini's inventive demise.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 9th November 2012, 10:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Valhalla Rising. (Nicolas Winding Refn). Have never seen this country (Scotland) look so bleakly beautiful. The story was there ocassionaly, but this only got in the way of the scenery for me
May watch it again tonight.
This simply didn't work for me! Kept on seeing the cover everywhere and them finally took the plunge! But 10-15 minutes of Mikleson staring silently upwards into the rain whilst some kid looks on forced me to put into the sell on pile!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Yes, his bits in the "making of" were quite pofaced. When he mentioned Tarkovsky etc. Thought the DA was quite cute though
Demoncrat, have you seen The Pusher Trilogy ? Incredible series of films that got better as they went along... I was lukewarm on Bronson but I'll see it again...
Old 9th November 2012, 10:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
This simply didn't work for me! Kept on seeing the cover everywhere and them finally took the plunge! But 10-15 minutes of Mikleson staring silently upwards into the rain whilst some kid looks on forced me to put into the sell on pile!
Yes, I can see how people would be thrown off by the (UK) cover, which does make it look like Bravefart or something....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th November 2012, 10:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Demoncrat, have you seen The Pusher Trilogy ? Incredible series of films that got better as they went along... I was lukewarm on Bronson but I'll see it again...
Pusher is one of my favourites. Would make a great double bill with After Hours (Scorcese) I feel.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th November 2012, 10:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Was due to watch Brandon Cronenberg's 'Antiviral' at the Leeds fest yesterday but, despite the cinema being almost exactly one street away from where I live, ended up too drunk to leave the house. What a dick. Anyway, by way of compensation, I offer -

BEYOND THE DARKNESS - I've lost count of the number of times I've seen this over the years, and I'm always pleasantly surprised to find its sleazy essence undiminished by the passing of time. Although not massively explicit by today's standards, it wallows in a really foetid atmosphere and contains some moments which still bring me to the verge of gipping after repeat exposure (the post body disposal broth, but also moments of borderline oedipal surrogate mother love between lead character and his witchy housekeeper... how many films even get close to the scene where she jerks him off whilst he stares adoringly at the corpse of his former girlfriend?) I'm always also quite interested in (and baffled by) the undeveloped supernatural subplot. It's a film I return to when I need to remind myself of how downright icky cinema can be. Wonderful stuff and totally recommended if you haven't seen it (I know 95% of the people on here will be familiar with it). Certainly Joe D'Amato's best flick IMO.

EBOLA SYNDROME - Another film for which the adjective 'rancid' was seemingly invented, 'Ebola Syndrome' follows Anthony Wong as he indulges his preferences for rape and murder in the service of spreading disease. There's a lot of over the top HK violence (the gore being slightly trimmed in most available versions, although the sleaze appears intact) along wth a general ridiculousness. It feels great watching a film which is so enthusiastically and unapologetically offensive. Weirdly enough, although this is maybe the fourth time I've seen it, I've never noticed all the references to racism up till now. Were the filmmakers making a comment, or being ill advisedly flippant, or just simply being racist? I guess a film like 'Ebola Syndrome' won't reveal its profound truths just like that. This issue aside, 'Edola Syndrome' is Cat 3 101 for those looking for the twisted and the hilarious.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:10 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Maniac (1980) - Amazing, absolutely amazing. Sleazey as hell, even more than New York Ripper IMO, but I personally don't look at it as a horror or a slasher. Spinell's amazing performance makes it like a compelling psychological drama or thriller. It leaves so much to mystery, with conclusions needing to be pieced together from Dialouge, like the fact that Franks mother was an abusive prostitute. Attention to detail was quite impressive too, as one only needs to looks at the things in a Franks apartment, like art and other items, including a piece of art on his door consisting of women's faces, with the eyes and mouths cut out. The BU blu ray has been on my want list for a while, but now its rocketed to the top.

Also the soundtrack was great, as was Savini's inventive demise.
I love Jay Chattaway's score and the overall sleaziness of the film. I'm waiting for the BU BD to arrive as well.

I also rate it higher than most slasher's mainly due to Spinnells performance, the subway scene is really well done, with the tension ratcheted to the max but I think the ending left a lot to be desired, one of the only downsides.

Sent from my Galaxy S 2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 9th November 2012, 10:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Was due to watch Brandon Cronenberg's 'Antiviral' at the Leeds fest yesterday but, despite the cinema being almost exactly one street away from where I live, ended up too drunk to leave the house. What a dick. Anyway, by way of compensation, I offer -

BEYOND THE DARKNESS - I've lost count of the number of times I've seen this over the years, and I'm always pleasantly surprised to find its sleazy essence undiminished by the passing of time. Although not massively explicit by today's standards, it wallows in a really foetid atmosphere and contains some moments which still bring me to the verge of gipping after repeat exposure (the post body disposal broth, but also moments of borderline oedipal surrogate mother love between lead character and his witchy housekeeper... how many films even get close to the scene where she jerks him off whilst he stares adoringly at the corpse of his former girlfriend?) I'm always also quite interested in (and baffled by) the undeveloped supernatural subplot. It's a film I return to when I need to remind myself of how downright icky cinema can be. Wonderful stuff and totally recommended if you haven't seen it (I know 95% of the people on here will be familiar with it). Certainly Joe D'Amato's best flick IMO.

EBOLA SYNDROME - Another film for which the adjective 'rancid' was seemingly invented, 'Ebola Syndrome' follows Anthony Wong as he indulges his preferences for rape and murder in the service of spreading disease. There's a lot of over the top HK violence (the gore being slightly trimmed in most available versions, although the sleaze appears intact) along wth a general ridiculousness. It feels great watching a film which is so enthusiastically and unapologetically offensive. Weirdly enough, although this is maybe the fourth time I've seen it, I've never noticed all the references to racism up till now. Were the filmmakers making a comment, or being ill advisedly flippant, or just simply being racist? I guess a film like 'Ebola Syndrome' won't reveal its profound truths just like that. This issue aside, 'Edola Syndrome' is Cat 3 101 for those looking for the twisted and the hilarious.

Can wholeheartedly agree with both reviews. Haven't watched Buio Omega this year, sorry metaphysical vikings, tis the love that death cannot defeat for me later, dear cthulhu I'm fickle

[B]
Old 9th November 2012, 10:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

In the dark days before I got Paypal, I had to get other folk to "get me things". Asked a female friend to get me TES, and she was fine with that (Coil fan etc), but the chap whom she got it from kept emailing her after as "she was the first female customer he'd ever had...."
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
Old 9th November 2012, 10:36 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
EBOLA SYNDROME Weirdly enough, although this is maybe the fourth time I've seen it, I've never noticed all the references to racism up till now. Were the filmmakers making a comment, or being ill advisedly flippant, or just simply being racist?
Kai San flees to South Africa which had a long history of racism I guess.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!