Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th December 2012, 08:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
It's only the existence of Hayden Christensen that stops him from being the worst actor working in major film today, IMO.
Is he still working in major film today The last poster I remember seeing him on was for that jumpy thing with Jamie Bell, and that was a good few years ago . . .
Old 10th December 2012, 08:33 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
The Corpse Grinders (1971) Cheap 70's horror (?) which sees a pet food manufacturer turn out an expensive new cat food 'Lotus'. Made from the corpses of the dead that are robbed from the cemetary or those of murdered bums. But the taste of human flesh send the moggies into a frenzy! If one word was to decribe this movie it would have to be Crap!........or Cat Crap!
I luuuuuuv Corpse Grinders! It's so much fun. Everything in the film is so off balance, it's just genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
This was on a Demons comp Kyle ran earlier this year. Didn't get it until I watched Brad Jones review of it the Saturday before the comp finished.
It seems stupid in a grindhouse style, meaning once you've seen it you wish you hadn't!
That was ages ago! You have a good memory, Hawk
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 10th December 2012, 08:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
December 9th

Don't Go in the House (1979)
There are other kills offscreen but the film then turns into a character study and forgets its a violent sleazy horror picture.
That's what I liked about it The only real sleaze was in that one notorious scene. Can totally see how folk expecting a flame thrower death-fest (as suggested by the poster) would be sorely disappointed though . .
Old 10th December 2012, 08:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Is he still working in major film today The last poster I remember seeing him on was for that jumpy thing with Jamie Bell, and that was a good few years ago . . .
He was in that Brad Anderson thing about people vanishing in the dark last year.
Old 10th December 2012, 09:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That's what I liked about it The only real sleaze was in that one notorious scene. Can totally see how folk expecting a flame thrower death-fest (as suggested by the poster) would be sorely disappointed though . .
You should be able to tell from my full post and my love for An Education that i am happy to watch all types of film...,but when you want a drive in style sleaze fest it can be a tad disappointing.
Old 10th December 2012, 09:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
You should be able to tell from my full post and my love for An Education that i am happy to watch all types of film...,but when you want a drive in style sleaze fest it can be a tad disappointing.
Yeah that's what I mean, think its reputation is more than a little misleading, though I suppose that's not the films fault . . .
Old 10th December 2012, 09:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah that's what I mean, think its reputation is more than a little misleading, though I suppose that's not the films fault . . .
No its bloody Arrow's fault for the gibberish they scrawl on the back cover.

[Now see Don’t Go In The House – complete and uncut – and revel in the surreal sleaze, low rent Hitchcock melodrama, off Broadway acting and extreme, heat-seared violence of an independent horror classic that still retains its ability drop jaws, rattle cages and offend sensibilities over 30 years later.]
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 10th December 2012, 09:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
No its bloody Arrow's fault for the gibberish they scrawl on the back cover.

[Now see Don’t Go In The House – complete and uncut – and revel in the surreal sleaze, low rent Hitchcock melodrama, off Broadway acting and extreme, heat-seared violence of an independent horror classic that still retains its ability drop jaws, rattle cages and offend sensibilities over 30 years later.]

"Shameless" would be an apt description of that write up
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 10th December 2012, 11:00 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Holy Motors - 2012 France d: Leos Carax

Interesting and initially very successful episodic delve into the oneiric. The film follows Denis Lavant (whose performance is quite exceptional) as a strange imp like figure who travels around Paris living many disparate lives. Each bit of each like we see (his "appointments") seem to hint at different film styles and genres. It's all about acting and film-making, but hidden behind the dreaminess of a director having a bit of a laugh.

At first, Carax pulls this off with superb aplomb (there is also a nice "mission statement" pre-titles section where a sleeper - Carax himself - awakes and finds a secret door to a cinema in his bedroom. This shows us what lies ahead) but eventually the film starts to run out of steam and outstays its welcome. Buy the end you wish he had trimmed the final half an hour.

It's a film worth seeing for certain though, just be warned that once it hits the "Musical" section with Kylie Minogue it all goes downhill quite drastically.

It is expertly made, though and everything is suitably dream like in terms of locations. And Denis Lavant should blow you away. He is really very, very good indeed.

Recommended with provisos...
Frankie Teardrop and sawyer6 like this.
Old 11th December 2012, 12:18 AM
Cult Addict

CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS. A dialogue heavy and at times surprisingly funny and verbally sadistic early contender in the post NOTLD zombie avalanche. There is something wonderfully perverse about this film and it's treatment of dead bodies as playthings. Excellent 70s electronic score and possibly one of the greatest resurrection of a graveyard scenes ever.

IRON SKY. Nazis invade the Earth in UFOs from the Moon. Rather disappointing as there is not enough action and too much broad comedy.

WRONG TURN 2. Henry Rollins is a living action man in this exploitation quicky follow up to the original film. Gone are the more serious elements of the first film to be replaced by lashings of gore and sex. An action packed no brainer, and all the better for it.

THE STRANGE VICE OF MRS WARDH. Other than a couple of stand out sex scenes this left me pretty cold. Fench is very easy on the eye but throughout the film her looks reminded me of someone else...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (5.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg images (1).jpg (7.2 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!