Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th November 2012, 11:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Skyfall - Excellent action movie, though it felt less like Bond, and more like Law Abiding Citizen. Quite liked the recurring themes of abandoments and death though.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 28th November 2012, 12:17 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
The Cabin In The Woods - 2011 USA d: Drew Goddard

Thoroughly smug and angering load of bollocks that thinks it's so very clever. The comedy isn't funny, the horror isn't horrifying. One can't help but imagine a lot of self congratulation and patting each other on the back when this was written. It is infuriating from start to end and really doesn't offer anything more than Williamson and Craven dished up with more fun and less pretension as Scream.

Avoid.
Here's The Church's take on it.

Last edited by ThePopeofCOSDS; 28th November 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 28th November 2012, 01:14 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Bats - 1999 USA d: Louis Morneau

I have seen and watch a lot of creature features. Monster flicks/nature runs riot flicks are amongst my favourite films of all. Good ones, bad ones, indifferent ones, something about the genre agrees with me and is a source of constant joy. Most of the output in this field nowadays is from the likes of the SyFy Channel and their suppliers, The Asylum, Corman etc and is low budget stuff capitalising on the affordability of CGI and the availability of ageing and second string stars.

Now, Bats is just like one of those films but with a couple of differences that make it interesting. Firstly the monster FX are mostly on-set puppets and animatronics and the film clearly had some kind of a budget - shot on film, in 'scope with a professional Hollywood crew.

To say that I enjoyed SyFy Channel type schlock that looked this good (some gimmicky camera stuff aside) would be an understatement. This is splendid fun that ticks many essential boxes (mutant critters, mad scientist, military involvement, Lou Diamond Phillips, explosions...) whilst looking far better than it has any right to do! In many ways it is a real throwback to 70s type post-Jaws monster films (Nightwing, The Prophecy etc) shot on film by professionals.

Very good fun indeed, and having only ever seen this on TV before, it was nice to see the full 'scope widescreen frame in the (astounding quality) UK DVD release which I found in a charity shop this afternoon for £1.50.

Cherry Falls - 2000, USA d: Geoffrey Wright

Superior comedy-slasher from the director of Romper Stomper. Almost everything about this skews your perceptions: the heroine (Brittany Murphy) is one properly weird girl, one of the main heroes is...ah, that would be a spoiler...some nice red herrings are dropped, the killer goes for virgins (the main gimmick of the film), the darkest most violent scenes are often the funniest. It's a great film that sits highly in the realm of the post- Scream teen-slasher revival.

Highly recommended.
Old 28th November 2012, 03:00 AM
Active Cultist

Camp blood 2. had this to watch for a few years and finally got round to it earlier and oh my lord what a laugh. it looked like it had been filmed on a camcorder with a bunch of non actors in all of the leads. think of a cross between blair witch and scream starring your mates , this film has to be seen to be believed. i must now find camp blood 1.
Handyman Joe likes this.
Old 28th November 2012, 07:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

12 angry men,
This is exactly how a good film is made, all take place in one room with 12 men as the jury all debating if a man is guilty / or innocent of killing his dad and that's it, strange how actually nothing happens in the film but be so engrossing yet there films out there with plenty going on action etc but yet be so dull and boring,
Gojirosan, PaulD and Handyman Joe like this.
Old 28th November 2012, 09:57 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Have finally started to unwrap my precious blu-rays. Watched Tenebrae (1982) last night, I have seen this film several times but still feel like an excited toddler when I watch this, Plus Goblin at The Arches, Glasgow is a great extra even if its just two songs.

Also trying to get my money's worth with my Lovefilm subscription so streaming through the 360 ended up watching the following yesterday:

Seance on a Wet Afternoon (1964) a fabulous, tense film.
The Old Dark House (1932) a great film to watch at 3am, I just love Charles Laughton.

I'm mainly searching under horror on lovefilm and putting them in order of release date and starting with the oldest, a pain to skip through.

Also been watching some episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark? through Lovefilm.
The Old Dark House really is fantastic, so many quotable lines, 'even Welsh ought naught to sound like that' or 'ave a potato' being my favourites

I was at that Goblin gig - it was pretty good, although it did stray into noodling territory at times. Saw Swans at the Arches last week and it was excruciating, unlistenable, unbearable.

One new movie (for me) - Tokyo Drifter - Just eye and ear candy, pure and simple, as far as I'm concerned, which is fine, I like candy but must admit i was hoping for a bit more substance or failing that some amazing set pieces. It does look amazing though, the Criterion blu is perfect.
Old 28th November 2012, 10:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Watched a couple of films that couldn't be further apart from each other if they tried. First up was Ted, basically Family Guy with different characters, hugely enjoyable and extremely funny, it had me laughing out loud pretty much all the way through.
Followed it with Alex Chandon's latest effort-Inbred AKA "Yorkshire Folk Should Be Avoided". Pretty enjoyable film with some great gore effects, a catchy song and loads of swearing. I did feel mightily pissed off after it had finished at the way it makes people from Yorkshire out to be inbred, animal ****ing, toothless weirdo's who are all thick as the pigshit they bathe in! I live in a small village not too dissimilar from the one depicted in the film, full of farmland and Postman Pat type country roads and not once have I uttered the immortal phrase "Ee by gum" or tried to have sex with members of my own family or the sheep and donkeys that the fields round here are full of!
mr 420 and Frankie Teardrop like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 28th November 2012, 10:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
12 angry men,
This is exactly how a good film is made, all take place in one room with 12 men as the jury all debating if a man is guilty / or innocent of killing his dad and that's it, strange how actually nothing happens in the film but be so engrossing yet there films out there with plenty going on action etc but yet be so dull and boring,
12 Angry Men is one of my favourite films of all time. I can watch it over and over and never get bored.

Cherry Falls on the other hand happens to be one of my worst films :|
Old 28th November 2012, 01:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The innkeepers wasn't a bad film for all its efforts just felt like it never got out of 2nd gear and wasn't sure where it was heading and going but felt like we never actually got there, it was like the women in black in terms of slow and not much happening and relying on tension and atmosphere, worth a watch but don't expect much
Old 28th November 2012, 02:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Just a quick report on the Deadly Fiends Collection.

I just had a flick through them using the chapter select.

All the films are widescreen, with very good picture quality, and a decent well audible soundtracks.

As far as being uncut, well i can't be sure but the bath tub murder in The Case of the Bloody Iris is intact, and Edwige has no problems in the nudity dept in Your Vice....

At such a bargain price for two rare films you really can't go wrong.

I am delighted with this set. Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51LdoLAzKDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (19.8 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!