LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd November 2012, 05:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

NAKED HUMAN NATURE
PENNY DREADFUL
So so films....
Old 22nd November 2012, 05:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Goodfellas the other night and as I was cueing up lines of dialogue in my head for upcoming scenes ("And then there was Pete the Killer, who was Sally Balls' brother"), I made the shocking discovery that this was the first time I was seeing the film on DVD, meaning the last time I saw the film was at least 10 years ago - but the film is so burned on my brain I feel like I've seen it every year...

Anyway, easily Scorsese's best film, the imagery, the dialogue, the music, the epic sweep - all incredible...

Old 22nd November 2012, 06:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Watched Goodfellas
the film is so burned on my brain I feel like I've seen it every year...
Same here, though I doubt I've seen it in well over 5 years. Can't think of another film packed so full of great moments. One of my favourites is when Scorsese plays the same quick shot of Henry looking out for helecopters twice, to highlight his drug fueled paranoia. Also get George Harrison's 'What Is Life' on the soundtrack in that sequence too, one of my all time favourite songs . . .
Wes likes this.
Old 22nd November 2012, 07:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Same here, though I doubt I've seen it in well over 5 years. Can't think of another film packed so full of great moments. One of my favourites is when Scorsese plays the same quick shot of Henry looking out for helecopters twice, to highlight his drug fueled paranoia. Also get George Harrison's 'What Is Life' on the soundtrack in that sequence too, one of my all time favourite songs . . .
That's a fantastic section of the movie, all those fast cuts, and the pile up of great rock music. George Harrison, Harry Nilson (the great Jump In the Fire) and Jagger's Memo from Turner from Performance. Amazing. Jeez, I'd love to take Martin Scorsese to dinner...
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 22nd November 2012, 07:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
That's a fantastic section of the movie, all those fast cuts, and the pile up of great rock music. George Harrison, Harry Nilson (the great Jump In the Fire) and Jagger's Memo from Turner from Performance. Amazing. Jeez, I'd love to take Martin Scorsese to dinner...
Also the supreme work of Thelma Schoonmaker in full force throughout that whole section. One of my Desert Island films for sure, could watch it on a loop and never get bored . . .
Wes likes this.
Old 22nd November 2012, 07:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Also the supreme work of Thelma Schoonmaker in full force throughout that whole section. One of my Desert Island films for sure, could watch it on a loop and never get bored . . .
Well said... Schoonmaker's work on Cape Fear is the best thing about that movie which is otherwise a completely disposable Scorsese I think... Someone said to me yesterday that Taxi Driver is better than Goodfellas and while Taxi Driver is one of the finest American films ever made, it could never be a desert island disc. I'd end up wading into the surf to end it all...
Old 22nd November 2012, 07:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Well said... Schoonmaker's work on Cape Fear is the best thing about that movie which is otherwise a completely disposable Scorsese I think...
Aww I disagree with he disposable part! I love Cape Fear for all it's gaudy technicolour overblown campy hammy beauty! I was hoping Shutter Island would be a return to that style, but I found it pretty dull . . .
Wes likes this.
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Aww I disagree with he disposable part! I love Cape Fear for all it's gaudy technicolour overblown campy hammy beauty! I was hoping Shutter Island would be a return to that style, but I found it pretty dull . . .
I know... I've been shouted down in the past for my harping on about Cape Fear... Yeah, I saw Shutter Island at the pictures and liked it, but have not had the urge to see it again. I thought After Hours and Color of Money were fantastic, two films I never feel there's enough love for...
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Not seen The Colour of Money, but After Hours is another of my favourites. Love Scorsese letting loose with the bonkers entertainment. Reckon After Hours would make an awesome double bill with Miracle Mile . . .
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Not seen The Colour of Money, but After Hours is another of my favourites. Love Scorsese letting loose with the bonkers entertainment. Reckon After Hours would make an awesome double bill with Miracle Mile . . .
Miracle Mile ! All the classics are out tonite, love that movie...one of those films you try to push on your friends. Yeah, After Hours is a great slice of Kafka, it's Scorsese's jazz solo... Damn, I'll have to catch all these at the w/end...

Like this? Share it using the links below!