Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2012, 10:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Is Perfect Blue the one that's meant to have been an inspiration on Black Swan?
He actually purchased the remake rights to this so he could use it in Black Swan.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 6th December 2012, 11:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Going to put my view in the situation.

IMO, saying not watching anime becaus it is a bit much like Pokemon, and this is just my opinion, is a tad close minded, like saying not watching any western cartoons, because they're too much like Simpsons.

A father raping his own daughter is a disturbing concept no matter what form of media, let alone an underage child.

Like someone on here said, anime and cartoons are the same, in the sense that human and cows are both mammals. But I have a rather unorthodox view, where the two are sub categories, of animation. So I'd also put stop motion different from the 2.

Also anime, is the Japanese word for animation, so they'd probably regard Simpsons as an anime, but I'm not sure.

But that's just me.

Old 7th December 2012, 12:13 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Cosmopolis - 2012 Canada/France/etc d: David Cronenberg

I approached this with some considerable trepidation after reading of some of your experiences with this film on these forums, and in my inability to imagine the premise in cinematic terms. Luckily I didn't have to imagine things in cinematic terms. I have David Cronenberg.

I found this to be a superb film of power and intelligence. Fascinating in its study of a man detached from reality by money, a man prevented/protected by layers - his car, his security, his wealth - from attaining humanity and warmth. A compelling parade of characters and their failure to predict the unpredictable, to keep track of their own power and vision. People whose world, once unassailable, is now subject to attack and protest.

Technically, the film is flawless. It looks magnificent and precise, the sets are perfect, especially the hermetic hi-tech tomb of the limousine which features heavily through the film, gliding through an aggressive exterior glimpsed through windows and sensed through motion. The acting featured is exquisite and not one performers in parts large or small give anything other than exceptional service to the film.

This is the best film of 2012 for me, surpassing even Moonrise Kingdom and The Hunter in my regard*. The devastating power of Cronenberg's skill is undiminished, and this film convinces me yet further that he is almost certainly the finest director of English language films alive to day.

Just brilliant. I know many of you will disagree. But it was, for me, just brilliant.

*NB I still have to see several important releases of the year, however: Holy Motors, Berberian Sound Studio, Once Upon A Time In Anatolia and such. So my favourite of 2012 so far.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Last edited by Gojirosan; 7th December 2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 7th December 2012, 01:26 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Cosmopolis - 2012 Canada/France/etc d: David Cronenberg

I approached this with some considerable trepidation after reading of some of your experiences with this film on these forums, and in my inability to imagine the premise in cinematic terms. Luckily I didn't have to imagine things in cinematic terms. I have David Cronenberg.

I found this to be a superb film of power and intelligence. Fascinating in its study of a man detached from reality by money, a man prevented/protected by layers - his car, his security, his wealth - from attaining humanity and warmth. A compelling parade of characters and their failure to predict the unpredictable, to keep track of their own power and vision. People whose world, once unassailable, is now subject to attack and protest.

Technically, the film is flawless. It looks magnificent and precise, the sets are perfect, especially the hermetic hi-tech tomb of the limousine which features heavily through the film, gliding through an aggressive exterior glimpsed through windows and sensed through motion. The acting featured is exquisite and not one performers in parts large or small give anything other than exceptional service to the film.

This is the best film of 2012 for me, surpassing even Moonrise Kingdom and The Hunter in my regard*. The devastating power of Cronenberg's skill is undiminished, and this film convinces me yet further that he is almost certainly the finest director of English language films alive to day.

Just brilliant. I know many of you will disagree. But it was, for me, just brilliant.

*NB I still have to see several important releases of the year, however: Holy Motors, Berberian Sound Studio, Once Upon A Time In Anatolia and such. So my favourite of 2012 so far.
I think this is the first positive review for Cosmopolis i've seen on here.
Invid Ninja likes this.
Old 7th December 2012, 05:06 AM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

I'm willing to give it a go since it's Cronenberg, I suppose unlike many who hated it I'm not expecting another Videodrome.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 7th December 2012, 05:59 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I didn't hate it I just found it frustrating and unengaging
Old 7th December 2012, 06:04 AM
Cult Addict

Despite initial hesitation (Its got Pattinson in it, smug pasty faced git) I actualy thought he was prity good in Cosmopolis and it wad very entertaining to boot.
Old 7th December 2012, 06:36 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Going to put my view in the situation.

IMO, saying not watching anime becaus it is a bit much like Pokemon, and this is just my opinion, is a tad close minded, like saying not watching any western cartoons, because they're too much like Simpsons.

A father raping his own daughter is a disturbing concept no matter what form of media, let alone an underage child.

Like someone on here said, anime and cartoons are the same, in the sense that human and cows are both mammals. But I have a rather unorthodox view, where the two are sub categories, of animation. So I'd also put stop motion different from the 2.

Also anime, is the Japanese word for animation, so they'd probably regard Simpsons as an anime, but I'm not sure.

But that's just me.
I fully agree.

A father raping his own daughter is a disturbing concept, but if it can be justified in the contxt of the overall plot then it should be included, otherwise why not dismiss twin peaks fire walk with me! If it was done purely for titilation then it would be truley disgusting and certainly worth decrying, my only point was that in the case of elfen lied it wasnt. If what the writer/director was trying to say was put across poorly, with poor characterisation/writing/direction then that is an entirely different matter, certainly worth critisisng the show for but not decrying it.

But lets end it here, i've made my point, I'm still happy to say I enjoyed elfen lied and i'm also happy to reccomend it to others. I even think the BBFC made the correct decision in awrding it a 15 as their panel is far better equipped to judge these things and they saw the series the same way I did.
Old 7th December 2012, 06:37 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
I'm willing to give it a go since it's Cronenberg, I suppose unlike many who hated it I'm not expecting another Videodrome.
Finally watched Cosmopolis myself. I actually liked it as well. It's very cold and detached but for me it suited the character and story.
Old 7th December 2012, 07:17 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I fully agree.

A father raping his own daughter is a disturbing concept, but if it can be justified in the contxt of the overall plot then it should be included, otherwise why not dismiss twin peaks fire walk with me! If it was done purely for titilation then it would be truley disgusting and certainly worth decrying, my only point was that in the case of elfen lied it wasnt. If what the writer/director was trying to say was put across poorly, with poor characterisation/writing/direction then that is an entirely different matter, certainly worth critisisng the show for but not decrying it.

But lets end it here, i've made my point, I'm still happy to say I enjoyed elfen lied and i'm also happy to reccomend it to others. I even think the BBFC made the correct decision in awrding it a 15 as their panel is far better equipped to judge these things and they saw the series the same way I did.
I have to agree with your points there, with Fire Walk With Me being a very clever example, even though Luara was a lot older, and SPOILER her sad was possessed, but a crucial element to the plot.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!