Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2013, 04:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The last of us, not a film but wow, voice acting, story and music this was better than a lot of movies I've seen. For me game of this generation and one of my top five games of all time
Nordicdusk and troggi like this.
Old 30th June 2013, 06:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
No, you're not the only one – I love it too and have seen it more times than I can remember. I'm a massive fan of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's films and Amelie was the first of his I saw.
Ive seen it 4 times and my girlfriend wants to watch it tonight so it will be my 5th. Ive told her ive already watched it once today but she said you can watch it again can't you?
troggi likes this.
Old 30th June 2013, 06:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Bloody good Mel Gibson movie. His best since Payback (which for me is the best film of his career).

Highlight has to be the scene with the guy who gets his rocks off being straddled by one woman waxing his back, whilst force feeding chili peppers to another one in front of him
pedromonkey and troggi like this.
Old 30th June 2013, 07:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

How I spent my weekend

Carried on the Chuck Norris theme with the above average Code of Silence (best line of the weekend "If I want your opinion I will beat it out of you") and the enjoyable Missing in Action
troggi likes this.
Old 30th June 2013, 07:55 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Ive seen it 4 times and my girlfriend wants to watch it tonight so it will be my 5th. Ive told her ive already watched it once today but she said you can watch it again can't you?
I wouldn't choose to watch it twice in one day, but if it meant keeping someone (especially a girlfriend) happy, I wouldn't say no!
troggi likes this.
Old 30th June 2013, 08:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Lisztomania and Valentino

After The Devils last Sunday, decided to have a Ken Russell double bill today. Both films I enjoyed a lot. While the humour of Listz was a little too broad for me (I laughed a lot more during The Devils!), it still had a ramshackle endearing charm, and the bonkers eccentricity ensured it was never boring. One of those films where the obvious flaws only added to the charm. Russell’s imagining of Richard Wagner was really something to behold. Stealing compositions via vampiric blood sucking, staging a Nuremberg Rally with a bunch of children dressed in superhero costumes, creating his own Jew killing Frankenstein’s monster, and finally becoming a guitar/machine gun toting Hitler robot… blimey!

Valentino by comparison felt much more restrained (had the air of having more of the dreaded Studio Money behind it). But then again, compared to something like Dickie Attenborough’s nice-but-bland Chaplin biopic, it was a picture of insanity. I enjoyed Russell’s trick of livening up the lengthy expositional scenes by packing a ridiculous amount of happenings into the back of shot. The best example was a long two-way argument over a contract. In the Studio Lot background they stage a huge Wild West shootout, followed by a public hanging, followed by a funeral procession! I also enjoyed there being two key set pieces shot in Blackpool Tower ballroom and circus.

A very enjoyable double bill, highly recommended. …and I still haven’t seen Tommy!
Old 1st July 2013, 06:45 AM
Cultist

World War Z

My wife and I saw this in 3D the other night and found it to be very enjoyable . Now we didn't read the book so we did not mind what ever changes were made.

It was very action packed and considering it was a zombie movie there has hardly any gore, this is a perfect zombie movie for those folks who do not like gory movies.
Old 1st July 2013, 06:52 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Lisztomania and Valentino

After The Devils last Sunday, decided to have a Ken Russell double bill today. Both films I enjoyed a lot. While the humour of Listz was a little too broad for me (I laughed a lot more during The Devils!), it still had a ramshackle endearing charm, and the bonkers eccentricity ensured it was never boring. One of those films where the obvious flaws only added to the charm. Russell’s imagining of Richard Wagner was really something to behold. Stealing compositions via vampiric blood sucking, staging a Nuremberg Rally with a bunch of children dressed in superhero costumes, creating his own Jew killing Frankenstein’s monster, and finally becoming a guitar/machine gun toting Hitler robot… blimey!

Valentino by comparison felt much more restrained (had the air of having more of the dreaded Studio Money behind it). But then again, compared to something like Dickie Attenborough’s nice-but-bland Chaplin biopic, it was a picture of insanity. I enjoyed Russell’s trick of livening up the lengthy expositional scenes by packing a ridiculous amount of happenings into the back of shot. The best example was a long two-way argument over a contract. In the Studio Lot background they stage a huge Wild West shootout, followed by a public hanging, followed by a funeral procession! I also enjoyed there being two key set pieces shot in Blackpool Tower ballroom and circus.

A very enjoyable double bill, highly recommended. …and I still haven’t seen Tommy!
I liked the bit where they were asking where Wagners castle was. Straight out of hammer horror with the shocked and frightened peasants.
Slippery Jack and troggi like this.
Old 1st July 2013, 08:14 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Been on holiday on the States for the past fortnight but still managed to get a few films in due to long flights and a cinema trip:

Oz: The Great and Powerful - not a bad visual representation of Baum's world, if a little too Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland at times. It's definitely too long and Mila Kunis is spectacularly miscast but it's charming enough and Raimi's passion and enthusiasm really shines through

A Good Day to Die Hard - aka A Good Day to Die Bored. A really soulless and cynical franchise entry. You can see the attempt at recreating the McClane-as-the-everyman-caught-in-a-bad-situation appeal of the original film with the constant uttering of his "I'm on vacation!" catchphrase (despite the fact that the very reason for the Russian trip was to bail out his son!) and Willis' delivery of the contractually-obliged "Yipppie kay-ai" line is embarrassing and weary. The film makes little sense, McClane is practically superhuman (and resistant to radiation to boot!) even the action set pieces are boring and uninspired and the constant crash zooming is headache-inducing and dated. It's terrible as a bog-standard actioner and even worse as a Die Hard movie. I hope John Moore never directs again

Man of Steel - starts off promising but descends into a noisy and boring SMASH SMASH over-long climax. I spent a great deal of Superman Returns hoping Superman would hit something and face a formidable physical threat, something which is overplayed here to the point of tedium. The problem with Superman Returns was that it was too indebted and reverential to the previous films, conversely the problem with Man of Steel is that it almost seems to be embarrassed by the mythology as it tries desperately to invent its own while only ever referring to 'Superman' in a winky, almost-apologetic way. I still maintain a good sequel can be made though.

Cop Out - In the interest of full disclosure I must admit that the version I watched was a tv edit, nincompoops, mother lovers and all but I doubt that the added cursing would make the plot any more engaging or the jokes any funnier. It was an absolutely woeful experience, Bruce Willis looked almost as bored as I was and Kevin Smith's assertion that "writing a nasty review for Cop Out is akin to bullying a retarded kid. All you've done is make fun of something that wasn't doing you any harm and wanted only to give some cats some fun laughs" is completely off the mark.

Trance - really good thriller by Danny Boyle. Excellently shot with some great twists and turns which and almost plays like an exploitation movie at times. A shame it didn't do better at the box office as I'd love to see Boyle tackle more films like this.

Side Effects - Excellent film. Starts off as expected but turns into an almost Hitchcockian thriller with shades of exploitation and made-for-tv movies (in a good way). I can't remember the last time a film took me by surprise in this way and kept me as engaged and enthralled throughout the entire duration. Highly recommended.
Old 1st July 2013, 08:57 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I completely agree with you about Man of Steel – I loved the bits with Kevin Costner but the action sequences (which comprised the entire third act) were too fast, loud and obviously animated so they became boring. (How many thousands of people would have died in that immense destruction?!)

As for A Good Day to Day Hard, I haven't seen it, but the trailers didn't do particularly good job of selling it and this video will mean much more to you than me, picking up on many of the points you raised.

Like this? Share it using the links below!