All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2013, 03:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
Very strange and jumbled film recorded from the Horror channel the other night; "Closed for the Season"! Couldn't quite get into it but couldn't stop watchin' it! At the end I gave up tryin' to work out who was and wasn't dead. Imaginative but garbled, I quite liked it as a way to waste time but not as an intellectual activity. 4/10 for trying hard.
I record a good half off the films of there and that was one of them , I agree gave up after a hr plus the cgi was realy bad as well.
troggi likes this.
Old 29th June 2013, 05:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE NIGHTS OF TERROR - A re-watch. My favourite Italo-zombie flick - beyond that, not much to say. I think this is great because of the non-stop zombie attacks, the weird soundtrack, the curdled sleaze (emaciated dwarf-man gets oedipal) and, despite the technical rubbishness of some aspects, the genuinely claustrophobic atmosphere.

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD 3 - I don't rate Brian Yuzna, he's too pedestrian. 'Society' was good, but could've gone further. This is my favourite movie of his. It has that early nineties slickness, which I thought really worked here... in opposition to the smooth action-horror is a painful romance that actually feels quite evocative.

MOTEL HELL - Seems to divide people a lot, but I liked. There's something engagingly weird about it, something slightly sick. I don't think it's too gentile a movie, despite protestations about a lack of gore. Thankfully, the humour isn't played too obviously until the end.

THE SLEEPER - Retro-slasher pays homage to yesterday's gore. I really liked it. It rips off (sorry, references) 'Black Christmas' beyond all others, and I liked the aspect of a completely unexplained murderer (with inexplicably weird eyes) who just makes freaky phone calls to campus chicks (erm, bedsides killing 'em). The shot on video look can't support this movie's claim to be all 1981, but sometimes it almost does. Again, this seems to divide quite a lot but IMO is very good.

BAD MEAT - Bad teens get sent to boot camp run by Nazis who eat some infected stew and end up as zombie fetish-cannibals. This was stitched together from an unfinished movie by 'Wrong Turn' guy after he ran out of funding. I actually really liked it. It's gross and uneven, but it's nice to see some genuine latter day sleaze with an authentically grubby tone. The non-ending seemed quite mind-boggling... those looking for cheap thrills could do much worse.

THE GOAT MAN MURDERS - Yes, I jumped on the bandwagon and quite liked what I found. I mean, this is a total dog but, after wading through at least thirty mins of collegiate sex-drugs whinge we're rewarded with some surprisingly mean spirited gore, including the soon to be infamous climactic assault on the blind. Along the way are non-sequitors such as a mentally challenged man eating some human shit and close ups of a plastic cock surrounded by wild ginger pubes. "Seriously, we'll get this into Asda and everything will be fine", said the man when he made this.

BLOOD FOR IRENA - I thought that this was excellent. Some have made a case for it offering a kind of highly distilled essence of Euro-horror, but I don't think so - a certain SOV crudeness made it seem too no-budget American to be the next 'Amer'. I don't know what to compare it to... at certain points, a series of 'My Bloody Valentine' record covers sprang to mind. Whatever, this is a really brave move, a dialogueless trawl through the life of a vampiric prostitute living in the nameless rotting shell of a township caught under perpetual twilight. I totally recommend this and hope it becomes some kind of watershed.
Old 29th June 2013, 06:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Just added The Sleeper and Bad Meat to my Amazon wishlist.

Nice one Frankie. Great little reviews as always.
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 29th June 2013, 07:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

THE GOAT MAN MURDERS - Yes, I jumped on the bandwagon and quite liked what I found. I mean, this is a total dog but, after wading through at least thirty mins of collegiate sex-drugs whinge we're rewarded with some surprisingly mean spirited gore, including the soon to be infamous climactic assault on the blind. Along the way are non-sequitors such as a mentally challenged man eating some human shit and close ups of a plastic cock surrounded by wild ginger pubes. "Seriously, we'll get this into Asda and everything will be fine", said the man when he made this.
I'm quite glad that everyone's enjoying this pile of shite. I still believe that given a budget and some actors this could have been a great gross out flick.

Unfortunately the whole budget was spent on fake entrails, porridge, cigarette papers and ginger fun-fur, there wasn't enough left to pay a full cast and crew so friends and relatives had to help out. The "Goatman" was kitted out at the "Doncaster Ferret Rescue" charity shop and his make-up effects were achieved by taking a "Captain Kirk" mask, turning it inside out and leaving it on top of the toaster whilst making "Pop-Tarts". The, now infamous, ginger circumcised penis was actually knitted by the directors Aunt Grace, who also played the part of the visually challenged expectant mother, and finished off by painting an acorn pink and attached with Pritt Stick!

While buying clothes for the "Goatman" the director got the inspiration for his next film "The Ferretman Rampage" about an abandoned child brought up by wild polecats in the basement of Connisborough Castle who goes feral at a meeting at Doncaster Racecourse!

Monster Magnet
Old 29th June 2013, 07:49 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

You say all that like it's a bad thing! Doesn't it have the charm of other low-budget horror films like Bad Taste, for example?
Old 29th June 2013, 08:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
You say all that like it's a bad thing! Doesn't it have the charm of other low-budget horror films like Bad Taste, for example?
Join the debate and watch the film yourself, I refuse to make anybody's minds up for them. I, personally, feel that "charm" is not amongst "The Goatman Murders" virtues (and it DOES have virtues, just NO charm, nyet, nien, non).

CHARM!

Monster Magnet
Old 29th June 2013, 09:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Delta Force last night which I thought I had seen, but I didn't remember very much. Good if forgettable 80's action fare.

Tonight I went to the local Kino to see Brad take on Zombies in World War Z. I haven't read the book. I enjoyed the film, there isn't a great deal of originality but it was a fairly decent action film - much, much better than last weeks Man of Steel.
troggi likes this.
Old 29th June 2013, 10:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It has a certain something that would have made the DPP, back in the 80's demanding the country be put under martial law.
Rik and troggi like this.
Old 29th June 2013, 10:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"13 Assassins"

Saying that Takashi Miike makes good films is like saying that you would get wet if you went swimming!
sawyer6 likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 30th June 2013, 04:44 AM
Cultist in Training

Evilspeak - Awesomesauce.

-Razor88
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!