Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2014, 07:03 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
I really liked 'Candyman' when I first saw it, but then I read 'The Forbidden', which is probably one of the five best stories in 'The Books of Blood'. The short story is amazing, and a straight adaptation would have been so much better. Not sure why they added the mirror thing? The original story has a real sense of mystery, that is sadly missing from the film.
After reading your thoughts, I'm keen to give it a rewatch.
Your reviews are excellent, Keirarts, I always enjoy reading them.
The mirror thing is cribbed from the bloody mary urban Legend. The film makers seem to be making a broader point about urban legends in general and I suspect wanted something American audiences would get, even on a subconscious level.
Old 12th May 2014, 08:47 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THIRSTY FOR LOVE, SEX AND MURDER – This is a Turkish remake of ‘The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh’! Well, it beats doing ‘Star Wars’ and ‘The Exorcist’ again and again. It’s odd and a bit messed up, and I really can’t work out whether this is due to knackered materials ham-fistedly assembled by cheapo distributors on the fly, or whether it’s going for a certain ‘aesthetic’… because there are obviously deliberate nods to giallo pop-surrealism in occasional skewed compositions, use of wonky lenses etc etc, but there are also crazy edits and random bits of audio collage which just don’t make sense. Usually I’d really dig this kind of thing, but ‘Thirsty for Love, Sex and Murder’ just left me thirsty for, well, a bit more sex and murder for a start, plus perhaps a bit more on the weirdo film dementia meltdown front as well (but then I’m always a bit ‘meh’ with gialli, so I guess the same applies to Turkish remakes, too). But, when I heard about it, I simply had to see it, and now I have, and I would still recommend it to fans of that particular strain of trash Turkish remix, or Giallo die hards, or fans of strange curios that really never would’ve seen the light of day were it not for the magic of home entertainment systems (still impressed that people are bothering to put stuff like this out).

Oh wow, I NEED to see this! How did you come across it?
Old 12th May 2014, 11:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
!?
Erwin!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th May 2014, 11:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Snowpiercer (2013, Bong Joon-ho)

Whilst not without it's flaws, this is the best anti capitalist propaganda I've seen in ages. Swinton is just on the right side of parody etc. Whilst the director reserves his right to confuse you right till the end, who said I wanted to be spoonfed anyhow? Not me. I may even give Amer another go now.....
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th May 2014, 12:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Erwin!!
Yes, but Marlene was funnier.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 12th May 2014, 12:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

PaulD - re 'Thirsty for Love, Sex and Murder' - I bought it on ebay. I'm not sure whether it's still available. Actually, I first came across it on Youtube (still there), but I really got it for the other film on the disc, a messed up gothic if ever there was one.
Old 12th May 2014, 01:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

hellraiser bloodline

was pleasantly surprised as this was a lot better than i was expecting, we have a story that spans three time periods and is about the puzzle box and the family that created it. Doug bradley is fantastic as always as pinhead and in this film he must have the most screen time compared to the previous movies. only thing i didn't get was demon princess character how could her and pinhead know each other as it was many years later when the pinhead character was created. 7.5/10

coming to america

classic murphy, really is sad when you watch a film like this and see the dross he is making now. highlights are the staggering amount of characters that Murphy plays in this film and goes to show what a good actor he is. love the scene with Don Ameche and Ralph Bellamy reprising there roles as the Duke brothers from trading places. 9.5/10

candyman

can't do better than keirarts fantastic review that sums this film up perfectly. a film that still creeps me out. till this day i cant look in the mirror and say his name and last night was scared to go to the toilet because of a mirror being there and the chance that bees might be in the toilet!! 9/10
Old 12th May 2014, 05:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wasting Away (Matthew Kohnen, 2009) Kaliedoscope UK dvd.
Easily the stupidest film I've seen since Pearl Harbour. Thankfully this was slightly more entertaining.
As the "from-the-zombies-POV" genre isn't overloaded, I'd recommend this to people who like a laugh.

Carnosaur (Adam Simon, 1993) New Horizons US dvd.
1st in the trilogy of Jurassic Park knockoffs from the inimitable R Corman, this is a tad sluggish for my tastes. Maybe the other two will pick up the pace.....

[B]
Old 12th May 2014, 06:04 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

America 3000 (1986)

In a post nuclear United States a band of Amazon women rule the wasteland and enslave the male population in labour and breeding camps.

America 3000 is probably the worst example of a post nuclear holocaust movie i've seen. The acting and script is abysmal and the experience is made worse by the language the women made up - a whole new lingo which makes the majority of conversations inpregnable to most human ears. It borders on the absurdly entertaining but this PG effort just ends up absurd as there's no sex or violence to break up the monotonous chit chat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11152794_800.jpg (90.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 12th May 2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12th May 2014, 06:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Toxic waste washes up on the shoreline of some land that Joan Collins hope to sell to some potential buyers. It's not long before the party are attacked by giant ants. On the run from the ants and many of the party being killed, they find that they are being herded in the direction the ants want them to go. The survivors manage to make their way to civilization but the townsfolk are acting strange and things are not as they seem......
Enjoyable monster movie from 1977. Animatronic, magnification and rear projection techniques bring the giant ants to the screen. The result is not always good but the film rattles along at a nice pace and there is always someone in the group that you can't wait to be killed. Fans of giant bug movies should check this out. It gets a bad rap but if you like your movies B, then this is for you.

Like this? Share it using the links below!