Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2014, 07:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE BLACK CASTLE (1952)

Richard Greene returns to the Black Forest Estate to uncover the mystery of his two friends deaths at the hands of Count Von Bruno...

Much to enjoy here in this gothic mystery from the great Universal.
This is really a period piece but with all the trimmings that you would expect from a Universal horror. Music used throughout will be recognizable to Universal fans and the opening credit sequence features the castle from Ghost Of Frankenstein. **This new DVD release from Odeon Entertaiment is let down by a bad transfer. The picture is quite fuzzy for most part, getting slightly better as the film runs. Shame**
Old 17th August 2014, 07:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
**This new DVD release from Odeon Entertaiment is let down by a bad transfer. The picture is quite fuzzy for most part, getting slightly better as the film runs. Shame** [/I]
That is a shame. The version on the Universal Boris Karloff collection looks fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51c7KG97wCL.jpg (42.1 KB, 0 views)
keirarts, Dave Boy and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 17th August 2014, 07:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Child's play

The first in the series that gave horror a new icon in the form of a killer doll called Chucky .Unlike the later movies there are no elements of comedy. Not my favourite of the series(think that's down to the mother being so annoying ) but still a good movie that gave birth to a horror icon, mind there success has to be down to Brad Dourif's performance as Chucky / Charles Lee Ray. 8/10

The final terror

Effective slasher. Not many deaths but those that there are are pretty well done, well paced with a lot of well knowing actors in early roles including Daryl Hannah and Joe Pantoliano. 7/10

Brides of Dracula

A sequel of sorts to Dracula, we have no Dracula ( or his brides)this time but we do have peter Cushing as Van Helsing . The story centres around a young school teacher who ends at the home of Baroness Meinster who has young women kidnapped for her son who is a vampire, said vampire sets his sites on the young lady, luckily for her Van Helsing is in town. This for me has to have one of the most ingenious and interesting vampire deaths of all the hammer films. 8.5/10
Old 17th August 2014, 08:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
That is a shame. The version on the Universal Boris Karloff collection looks fantastic.
That's good to know. Thanks.
Old 17th August 2014, 08:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Cold Fish tonight

I was expecting to like this more than I ended up doing again, which is also surprising since Suicide Club is a favourite of mine.

4 outa 10/2 stars
Old 17th August 2014, 08:28 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Watched Cold Fish tonight

I was expecting to like this more than I ended up doing again, which is also surprising since Suicide Club is a favourite of mine.

4 outa 10/2 stars
I thought that Cold Fish was excellent - each to their own though.
SShaw and Nemesis like this.
Old 18th August 2014, 12:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I thought that Cold Fish was excellent - each to their own though.
It is, I gave it 9/10
Old 18th August 2014, 08:28 AM
Cult Rookie

Scanners

I came back from a holiday to the US, bought a Blu ray player there so I could finally watch my criterion movies

The first movie I watched was the superb Scanners release by Criterion. It was highly enjoyable, though not as complex or "fleshed" out as his later films it easily holds it own years later. One thing I noticed is that he used a lot of red colors in certain scenes, especially when something bad was about to happen, anyone else noticed this?
Old 18th August 2014, 08:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

A CHALLENGE FOR ROBIN HOOD (1967)

Robin gathers a band of merry men in Sherwood Forest when he is framed for murder......

Hammer films once again enter the world of Robin Hood. Filmed at Pinewood Studios, Hammer just hopped over the fence to once again use trusty Black Park for Sherwood Forest. A good colourful adventure and maybe the best of the Hammer Robin Hood films.
Old 18th August 2014, 11:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched a few over weekend due to terrible weather, haven't got long though so will try and get them up shortly!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!