LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2013, 10:14 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Sir, you are a legend. Thank you. Really not bothered about the extra disk of stuff.
No problem mate. I have both as I bought it expecting the limited edition release and, when the single disc one arrives, I checked my order confirmation and I had just ordered the standard BD.

As I really wanted the limited edition one, I shopped about and paid slightly over the odds for the double disc edition and don't think I've watched all the extra features on the second disc yet!
Old 9th January 2013, 11:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched a German film i never heard of until today called hell. 2 words,
Recommended watch...a realy good post apocalypse style film,
Old 9th January 2013, 12:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Just watched a German film i never heard of until today called hell. 2 words,
Recommended watch...a realy good post apocalypse style film,
Oooh, almost sat down and watched this with Dad tonight, but we decided on Slither instead. Maybe tomorrow night.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 9th January 2013, 12:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Oooh, almost sat down and watched this with Dad tonight, but we decided on Slither instead. Maybe tomorrow night.
I would I defiantly say its one of the best watched film I've seen in a while generaly films are a let down over rated etc and I enjoyed it more because I didn't have a clue what I was watching,
Old 9th January 2013, 07:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

In my continued mission to reduce the stack of unwatched films next to my television I watched my German Bluray of Absentia this evening. This is a really effective ghost story (haunted underpass) with some genuine scary, jump in your seat moments. I saw it on the big screen in 2011 at After Dark, but it works equally well at home. Recommended.

I also recommend Hell (it was the winner of the audience award at the 2011 German Fantasy film fest, although the fact it is a German film may have swung the vote) its among the best of the recent spate of "journey through the post-apocalypse" movies.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

Last edited by SShaw; 9th January 2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 9th January 2013, 08:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePopeofCOSDS View Post
Bloodbeat - I can't even accurately describe how nonsensical and bizarre this was. I may have to review it and hope I can make heads or tails of it.

Andrew Dominik's Killing Them Softly - Church review HERE.

Half of What the Peeper Saw - so far boobies + Britt Ekland does not a movie make.

- Razor88
Blood Beat... is that the Xmas-based Samurai ghost possession movie? I've heard it's fairly mental, actually. I must see it!
Old 9th January 2013, 09:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched Berberian Sound Studio again, this time without the distraction of writing an assignment on record companies. Loved it more this time round and still highly recommend it to those that haven't seen it. Gonna pick out a Giallo to watch now I reckon
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Last edited by Rik; 9th January 2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 9th January 2013, 09:47 PM
Cult Addict

AWAYDAYS. Set in Liverpool at the arse end of the 70s, this films strange plot involves a young lad getting into football hooliganism and being mentored into the life style by a gay smackhead, self harming post punk, Joy Division fan who wishes to move to Berlin! As you can imagine, it doesn't quite work. Still, the soundtrack is pretty good as are the clothes and haircuts.

THE RAVEN. John Cusack plays, er, John Cusack pretending to be Edgar Allen Poe in this fancy pants take on the last days of Poe's life. Mindless and very entertaining.

THE BLADE. Tsui Hark goes crazy with colours and close ups in this visually messy and slightly creepy looking tale of severed arms, revenge and loss. I really enjoyed this mainly as it adds layer upon layer of something not quite right on top of itself as the film progresses. That said, it never quite explodes into the kind of delirium I was wanting to happen by the end.
Old 9th January 2013, 10:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
In my continued mission to reduce the stack of unwatched films next to my television I watched my German Bluray of Absentia this evening. This is a really effective ghost story (haunted underpass) with some genuine scary, jump in your seat moments. I saw it on the big screen in 2011 at After Dark, but it works equally well at home. Recommended.

I also recommend Hell (it was the winner of the audience award at the 2011 German Fantasy film fest, although the fact it is a German film may have swung the vote) its among the best of the recent spate of "journey through the post-apocalypse" movies.
Oh Come on seriously any horror genuinly made you jump, unless it's a scene where eg a cat jumps out or something like that can't say I jump at a horror but I give the film a whirl,
As for hell agree it was a great filmi think it'll be a under rated gem that won't get as much notice as it deserves,

Watched truth or dare not a bad film with a couple of twists one or two slightly predictable but final twist wasn't as predictable as you think, worthy of a watch
Old 9th January 2013, 10:19 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Perfect Blue - 1997 Japan d:Satoshi Kon

Not the mindf*ck I was expecting sadly, this was nonetheless a decent reworking of old Hitchcock/DePalma/Giallo themes set within Japanese popular culture (of the 90s). The influence on Black Swan is clear without being as overwhelming as some commentators have suggested. It has a reasonable flow and is a good story. Just a shame I had been lead to expect something jarring and reality contorting, but it was all pretty straight-forward really.

Visually, not my thing, but there were some lovely backgrounds and the character design less bothersome and more "human" than in a lot of Japanese animation. I couldn't help but wonder throughout how much better it would have been as a live action feature...but would it just have got lost as "yet another post-Vertigo psycho-thriller"?

Worth a watch, and far more up my street than I find most Japanese animation. Glad I finally watched it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!