Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2012, 02:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Watched Quatermass and the Pit for the first time in several years.

I just don't get the love for it.

Its well acted and the sets are fine, and it has an excellent last twenty minutes, but the first hour is tedious beyond belief.
Crimson Blade likes this.
Old 13th June 2012, 03:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Watched Quatermass and the Pit for the first time in several years.

I just don't get the love for it.

Its well acted and the sets are fine, and it has an excellent last twenty minutes, but the first hour is tedious beyond belief.
Kind of agree. Finally gave the BD a spin the other night and wasn't really blown away. I think as soon as those naff aliens were revealed, any tension/atmosphere went straight out the window. Andrew Keir as Quatermass I found pretty bland too . . .
bdc likes this.
Old 13th June 2012, 06:41 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Razortooth - 2007 USA STV d:Patricia Harrington

Well, it's a film about a genetically modified mutant giant killer eel. Surely you know what to expect. This is a very formulaic creature feature plotwise, but is saved by it's (intentional) comedy elements. Enjoyable and amusing and surprisingly gory!

I will sell this to you with one line: The eel burps.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 13th June 2012, 07:10 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Razortooth - 2007 USA STV d:Patricia Harrington

I will sell this to you with one line: The eel burps.
I want my money back!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 13th June 2012, 07:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I know it's not quite as cool as roaring and growling sharks but it's pretty cool!
Old 13th June 2012, 07:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Brain Dead

Fun seeing Bill's Pullman and Paxton clearly having a blast with the nutty script, and great to see Harold and Maude's Bud Cort in a scene stealing supporting role. Didn't really amount to much in the end, but an enjoyable ride while it lasted . . .
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 13th June 2012, 10:56 PM
Cult Addict

Prometheus.

I liked it.

Ok, I went in with lowered expectations, but honestly I think people are underrating this movie a whole lot. Its certainly better than parts 3 (dreadful) Part 4 which is massively overrated and directed by Jean pierre junet who is one of the most overrated hacks out there, lets face it amelie, delicatessan and city of lost children are all rubbish as well... ahem.... but I digress, and of course the woeful Aliens vs predator movies. Honestly the alien franchise has always seemed to decline in quality with every subsequent movie.

I can understand now why Ridley scott was so keen to distance this film from the alien franchise, It's a totally different kind of film that answers some of the questions raised by the origional. At the same time it strives to be thought provoking and is miles away from the shallow cgi-trash most of hollywood seems intent on churning out.

Personally I think the best way to approach the movie is to keep telling yourself it's not just another alien film and you'll do alright.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Brain Dead

Fun seeing Bill's Pullman and Paxton clearly having a blast with the nutty script, and great to see Harold and Maude's Bud Cort in a scene stealing supporting role. Didn't really amount to much in the end, but an enjoyable ride while it lasted . . .
That's kind of how I felt about it - it's a bit too stolid to be as mind meltingly trippy as it wants / needs to be, but remains enjoyable on a certain level. Nice to know people are still watching this otherwise lost-seeming despatch from the days of direct to video. And Bud is good.
Old 14th June 2012, 02:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

FACELESS - Another of Franco's 'Yeux Sans Visage' homages, this time set against the backdrop of embarassingly styled late 80s Parisian nightlife (exemplified by the grating theme tune 'Destination Nowhere', courtesy of a down at heel George Michael impersonator and used incessantly in an attempt to grind viewer's sanity into oblivion). But this is all intrinsic to the charm of this weird pot pourri, which is identifiably Franco despite being much more linear (and gore heavy) than most of his other flicks. There's also some low grade smut and sleaze-lite to liven up the wait for evil doc Helmut Berger's sister's face transplant, but again this aspect is relatively muted compared with the swinging that went on during Jess's glory days. Stellar euro-trash cast featring C Munro, B Lahai, H Vernon and the great Anton Diffring as consummate Nazi surgeon. Enjoyable.
Gojirosan, Demoncrat and artisturn like this.
Old 14th June 2012, 04:30 AM
Active Cultist

Prince of Darkness
Session 9
Beyond the Darkness
Olaf Ittenbach's No Reason <3<3

Like this? Share it using the links below!