For Your Eyes Only (1981)
Old 14th June 2012, 07:53 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Jean pierre junet who is one of the most overrated hacks out there, lets face it amelie, delicatessan and city of lost children are all rubbish as well...
I'm shocked. Shocked, I tells ya!

Delicatessen is a brilliantly twisted cannibal movie, Amélie is one of my all-time favourite films and, to it isn't his best, The City of Lost Children is one of the reasons why I think Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro are two of the most visually inspired directors working.
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 14th June 2012, 09:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

...and the new Bioshock movie.
Watched The Boxer's Omen (1983)
your standard blend of Ch'an Buddhism and someone being sewn inside a crocodile (for ressurrective purposes natch). A veritable visual feast, and was well worth the wait. 10/10.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th June 2012, 10:33 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Deadly Spawn....Not bad, not great but I did like the soundtrack
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
your standard blend of Ch'an Buddhism and someone being sewn inside a crocodile (for ressurrective purposes natch). A veritable visual feast, and was well worth the wait. 10/10.
A definite fave of mine, a real mad pearl - if you or anyone knows of any HK that tops it for sheer out-thereness I'd be interested, I know there are so many of these flicks that haven't even made it to DVD. Edging towards a rewatch now it's back in my mind...
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Over the last two nights I have tried and failed to sit through Hellmaster.

Partly due to tiredness, but mostly do to the incoherent nature of the thing. What a mess of a film: badly written, awful acting (poor David Emge and John Saxon try hard, but those around them...sheesh!) and the worst editing I have seen...possibly ever!

But...

...something keeps drawing me back. I don't know if it's the attempts to recreate Suspiria-esque ambient lighting effects, the appealingly twisted nature of the "family" of psychos or that one of the psychos is Ron Asheton of The Stooges in a nun's habit!

I am determined to see it through to the end!
Old 14th June 2012, 12:35 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm shocked. Shocked, I tells ya!

Delicatessen is a brilliantly twisted cannibal movie, Amélie is one of my all-time favourite films and, to it isn't his best, The City of Lost Children is one of the reasons why I think Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro are two of the most visually inspired directors working.
Visually great, but their films are hollow, shallow messes that failed to engage with me on any level. I think they would be better suited to music videos and commercials. I keep getting people insisting their geniuses so i've given all those films 2nd, 3rd and even fourth chances but after about 30 minutes I get bored of the visuals and just tune out.

And even the fans I know write off Alien ressurection as a mis-step, seriously how they managed to make a film worse than alien 3 I do not know.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I remember sitting back and watching boxers omen and wondering if those mushrooms I took back in uni were coming back for a flashback, toatally mental but lots of fun!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:47 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Visually great, but their films are hollow, shallow messes that failed to engage with me on any level. I think they would be better suited to music videos and commercials. I keep getting people insisting their geniuses so i've given all those films 2nd, 3rd and even fourth chances but after about 30 minutes I get bored of the visuals and just tune out.

And even the fans I know write off Alien ressurection as a mis-step, seriously how they managed to make a film worse than alien 3 I do not know.
I'm a big fan of Jean-Pierre Jeunet, though not a great fan of DELICATESSEN,
I think AMELIE, A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT, ALIEN RESURRECTION, MICMACS, THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN are all very good films
his visual style makes him one of the best French film directors

(I enjoyed ALIEN 3)
Old 14th June 2012, 01:41 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

This goes to show just how subjective different films and directors can be as I think Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a much better screenwriter than people generally give him credit. Amélie, A Very Long Engagement and Delicatessen resonate with me on an emotional level, so I really appreciate the quirky humour in those films and things like Micmacs.

I was one of those who think Alien Resurrection isn't the complete disaster some people think it is and the casting, direction and visual style works very well in the final instalment. Also, although Alien 3 is clearly flawed and has 'studio interference' written all over it, it's one I've seen several times (watching both versions) and it's a real shame we'll never see a definitive director's cut because, understandably, David Fincher wants to move on from what must be a very painful experience and doesn't want to work with a studio which did its best to wreck what could have been a genuinely great movie.

Like this? Share it using the links below!