Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2012, 05:56 PM
Cult Master

I watched a film called 'Exam' this afternoon

What a load of rubbish!

At least it only cost me 75p in a charity shop!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 7th December 2012, 06:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post

What a load of rubbish!

I liked that one.
Old 7th December 2012, 06:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Westworld - The finale never gets old!

Futureworld - Put off watching it for years due to the bad reviews, not that bad, but still pretty meh in the end.

Untraceable - Perfect example of why I don't watch many modern horror/thriller films.

Graveyard Shift (The 1987 Vampire movie)
...perfect example of how the 80's weren't that great as the decade drew to a close.
Although I'm sure female teenagers at the time may have enjoyed it , if Fright Night was already (rented) out.
Old 7th December 2012, 06:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:

What a load of rubbish!

is that the one with the people locked in the room and they have to come up with an answer to one question?...if it is, i actually really liked it.
Old 7th December 2012, 06:11 PM
Cult Master

Quote:

What a load of rubbish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I liked that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
is that the one with the people locked in the room and they have to come up with an answer to one question?...if it is, i actually really liked it.
OK - opinions are obviously split over this

I found it laughable and annoying. Parts of it were good - the cutting between a character explaining the rules, and the exam moderator explaining the rules - but on the whole, I thought it was a poor attempt at a thriller

Oh - the fact that the 'main' character reminded me of Danny Dire didn't help much!

Old 7th December 2012, 07:59 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

What a load of rubbish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I liked that one.
I liked it as well. It's a pretty good thriller well, in my opinion anyway!
Old 7th December 2012, 08:23 PM
Cult Master

Certainly a future cult film them - some viewers love it, I (at least) didn't!

But that's one of the reasons why we all love films isn't it. As the old saying goes, 'if we all liked the same things, life would be pretty boring'

Old 7th December 2012, 08:50 PM
Active Cultist

Watched my old DVD of Carrie for the first time in about 10 years: some thoughts

Great actresses though Chloe Morentz and Julianne Moore are they will never match Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie, who are just perfect here. Spacek's reptilian look during the prom destruction is one of my all time fav horror images - I wish De Palma hadn't diluted it with the split screen because it is pure dynamite on its own.

Not to say the remake can't score some points - more build up was needed re the development of Carries powers and the house destruction at the end is just silly - what the hell happened?

Boring I know, but HD remaster urgently needed. De Palma puts red in every scene - I bet it was meant to pop and seethe, but not in this gauzy transfer.

Good point from my wife - Tommy Ross in this movie, Tommy in the movie Tommy and Tommy in Trainspotting all look exactly alike. Coincidence, or is the go-to name for a frizzy blond good guy just, Tommy?
Rik and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 7th December 2012, 09:25 PM
Active Cultist

Managed to find the time to get a few movies watched:

Rewatched:

Eraserhead (Blu-Ray). It's been many a year since I saw it, but I quickly remembered why this was one of those films I saw at a young age that influenced the type of films I would go on to like/hunt down/get a bit obssessed with. The sound design is something really special and it's a film that at certain points makes me laugh out loud and at other points makes me want to look away. I love the fact that the design on the floor of the apartment building lobby is the same that we see in the Black Lodge in --

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. (Blu-ray) I loved the TV show, and for that reason alone, love this movie. I actually think the first act with Chris Isaak and Kiefer Sutherland is the best bit, it's really funny. While the bar scene does really drag, it gets you in the right frame of mind for the last few minutes, which I think are some of the best horror scenes of the 1990's.

New Views:

The Dark Knight Rises. (Blu-ray). No need for me to say much. It's a fantastic achievement when a movie this long doesn't drag once. I thought Hathaway was brilliant, the set pieces draw dropping, and it rounds everything up before the inevitable re-boot.

SPOILERS

The bit at the very end with a certain someone's name being mentioned I could have done without, to be honest.

The Deadly Spawn (Arrow DVD). I don't know how I've never got round to seeing this, but I think it's wonderful and will fit in nicely with my other fave 80's low budget horror cheapies. The in camera effects are class and the wallpaper on show is horrible. The score was great as well.
Old 7th December 2012, 09:29 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
Westworld - The finale never gets old!

Futureworld - Put off watching it for years due to the bad reviews, not that bad, but still pretty meh in the end.
I watched Westworld this week as well (recorded off BBC1) and really enjoyed having another look at it. Great fun. I've never seen Futureworld and need to finally get around to it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!